Redscale motion picture?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

vidwerk

Redscale motion picture?

Post by vidwerk »

Been starting to experiment with redscale in 35mm stills.
The range I've seen depending on the film type varies from yellow to extreme red. Anyone ever try this with movie film. Obviously not super 8 unless you use a reloadable cart. I was thinking of trying this out on 16mm.
Any neg movie film work better then others?

Cheers,

vidwerk.
bakanosaru

Re: Redscale motion picture?

Post by bakanosaru »

It may not be possible with motion picture film due to the rem-jet backing.
But perhaps there is a stock without it?

I have a vague recollection of reading about a film shot through the base like this but it involved having a lab remove the backing prior to shooting.
Can't find it now though... :?:
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

If the remjet backing will cause redscale to not work. You could try using E100D in 16mm as it does not have remjet. If you want a negative you could then just cross process it.

The only down side I see to trying redscale with 16mm film is that if you wanted to project it, the image would be filped horizontaly. Granted if you telecined the footage you could just flip it in post.
But as far as making prints you would have to flip the negative over when doing this, so I'm assuming you would need double perf film.
I just guessing on this, however.
vidwerk

Post by vidwerk »

bakanosaru wrote:It may not be possible with motion picture film due to the rem-jet backing.
This didn't even occur to me.
Tyler wrote:If the remjet backing will cause redscale to not work. You could try using E100D in 16mm as it does not have remjet.
Good to know. Thanks. I don't necessarily need double perf film.
I was planning on spooling the film onto another reel thus flipping the film
length-wise and not flippping it across the width.

vidwerk.
1mic

Post by 1mic »

The only down side I see to trying redscale with 16mm film is that if you wanted to project it, the image would be filped horizontaly
You could project it via a mirror..

I had never heard of this "redscaling", i have now refilled a single use camera to experiment; lowest-fi so to speak..
Good luck with your film experiment.