Canon 310XL and Nizo UWL type I

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

vidwerk

Canon 310XL and Nizo UWL type I

Post by vidwerk »

I going on a canoe trip in a couple of days, and I'm bringing along my Canon 310XL mainly because of size. Question is, has anyone tried using the Nizo UWL type I with the 310XL via a 43mm to 49mm stepping ring? With the camera in macro and lens set to infinity it looked OK through the eyepiece, but one can never be too sure. I would assume that it would work just like the C-8, but assumptions have brought me trouble before. In Addition I thought I'd mention that I'll also have on the lens a 43mm 85b filter for use with E64T. I also don't know if this little bit of extra distance will benefit it the wide or throw it off.
The C-8 43 would be bonus, but hard to find. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

vidwerk.
mondo77

Re: Canon 310XL and Nizo UWL type I

Post by mondo77 »

Vidwerk,

I can't help but I have similar a interest.

I've used the 310 and C8 W/A. Good combo but not wide enough for me. I want to do some skateboard stuff. Need wider.

You gave me helpful info before on the Nizo 156 Macro and UWL. I never did manage to focus it though ever! Relied on Canon.

I've searched this topic and gone round and round in circles. I suspect you'll end up testing it yourself.

I'd like to hook up a W/A lens to a 43mm S8 cam to produce a fisheye or near fisheye effect. I don't care about vignetting or distortion. In fact that's what I want! If anyone can help me - and Vidwerk - please post.

I'd like some suggestions before I buy a random lens and find it doesn't focus. My assumptions have done for me before too!! And I don't have money to burn right now!
vidwerk

Re: Canon 310XL and Nizo UWL type I

Post by vidwerk »

I just got back from Dwaynes a couple of rolls of K40, one of which I tested the 310xl and the nizo uwl type I. Thank the lord I only tested it at the last 5 feet of the roll, because it didn't work. I thought it wouldn't be much different from using the c-8. I was wrong. Image was out of focus, but not by too much. I don't know if the uwl was too close or too far away. Shame, because the image through the viewfinder looked extremely wide, much more than my 814xl-s and the c-8 .
I'll do some more tests with a couple of UV filters to see if the greater distance improves the focus.

vidwerk.