ideas you have already considered, but do not have the time

Want to help me out with the website? Please post your suggestions or contributions here!

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

ericMartinJarvies

ideas you have already considered, but do not have the time

Post by ericMartinJarvies »

hello,

andreas, would it be possible to edit your master templates so that you query the number, and time/date stamp of any particular post, and list that next to the number of posts each member has made?

in other words, on the left side of our posts, the following is listed:

awand
Site Admin
[picture]

would it be possible if you could add what specific post in your own line of asending posts that one is? for example:

awand
Site Admin
[picture]
<b>Post: 129-0123456789</b>

this way, it would make giving someone a reference to a specific thread an easy process. so, i could tell a new member to go read post '129-0123456789' made by awand. the '129' is the 129th post awand has made, and the other sequence of numbers is the actual thread/post.

it would be really easy to add that tag/query, and i think it would help out a bit. also, for the search section, i think it would be nice if you could type in a member's name, and have the option to query a list of all their posts. this way, if remember that pedro made a post last month about something or another, can type in his name, and view his posts, find the correct post, and use the info for myself or give the post number to anopther member so they can enter it into a field, and have it display pronto.

<b>ericmartinjarvies[junior member, 435 posts, joined <i>time/date stamp here</i>]</b>

topic: fat cows[by awand on <i>time/date stamp here</i>]
thread: 4[out of 13] on <i>time/date stamp here</i>
topic participants: awand, ericmartinjarvies, pedro, blah, blah, blah

topic: fat cows[by awand on <i>time/date stamp here</i>]
thread: 9[out of 26] on <i>time/date stamp here</i>
topic participants: awand, ericmartinjarvies, pedro, blah, blah, blah

etc.

also, i think another helpful addition would be a member organized topic and thread keywork placement function. which is to say, many times a topic can contain cnversations about several differant things. it could start off talking about repairing a beaulieu 4008, and end up talking about the nizo lens problem on x model. so, what i think would be a good idea, is to create categories for the forums, so that historical and referancable information can be indexed correctly from the get-go. so if i post a reply to a topic, and the reply does not dal with the topic, and is regarding differant subject matter, i should be able to select the catagory it needs to be indexed in. so if reply to a topic about t200 filmstock, and my reply talk about the asa settings on the beaulieu 4008zmIV, then i should be able to select from a pull down menu the nature of my post: question. answer. information. instructions. complaint. praise. reference. comparison. etc. then, i should be able to enter the applicalbe keywords. the main catagories should be the type of equipment: camera, projector, editing, etc. the next should be equipment(bolex, bauer, beaulieu, etc.), and so on.

this way, the site is then a 'smart site', and it is able to organize itself by when the members make their posts. and this then makes it easy for either the senior, junor, or new / guest visitors to locate specific information. because right now, if i use the search engine, and type in beaulieu, i get a ton of matches. but in my mind i want to find the thread where the poster was talking about a schematic, or manual, i would prefer to locate only the information about beaulieu manuals. so if the members are forced to structure their posts, or not so much forced, but during the posting process itself, the code/submission process walks them through the indexing in a logicol, easy way.

in other words, take your forum to the next level ... turn it into a giant owners manual for every type of super 8 and super 8 related item imaginable. layout the search and post forms so it is like an owners manual, with opinions, feedback, and all.

the site is already so nice to use, and so very comfortable, that by adding soem of the above mentoend wll only add to make it even more of an essential tool for foks like myself.

thanks for considering the above mentioned, and i understand that thinking about doing it and actually doing it are two differnat things. so i figured that if other people mention it, you would take what you probably already had on the 'to-do' list(the above suggestions) and move it forward a bit. :)
eric
eric martin jarvies
#7 avenido jarvies
pueblo viejo
cabo san lucas, baja california sur. mexico
cp 23410
044 624 141 9661