Canon 814/1014XLS vs Beaulieu and Leicina Special comparison

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

alex-rus

Canon 814/1014XLS vs Beaulieu and Leicina Special comparison

Post by alex-rus »

Anyone has results of comparison of these cameras?

I want to replace my Canon 1014XL-S on Beaulieu 6008 or Leicina Special (with Schneider or Angenieux lens). I can expect increase of sharpness of the image, in comparison with Canon camera with installed lens? Any other advantages?

Probably someone at this forum has experience in such problem.
________
Alexander,
filmmaker from Russia
romeojesus

Post by romeojesus »

I don´t know the canon, but i love my leicina special.

good things:
-interchangeable lenses
-good image stability
-nice sharp pictures
-25fps (good for us europeans when it comes to pal telecine)
-two starting buttons (one on the foldable grip, one at the top of the camera. the top one also has a thread for those cable things)
-well built..no plastic housing
-everything can be set manually (asa setting is manual, exposure setting manual , wratten filter in out is manual)

bad thing:
- image goes through a prism first before it hits the film (slight light loss)
the beaulieu has a real mirror shutter
romeojesus

Post by romeojesus »

oh..and it´s not really quiet
cineandy

Post by cineandy »

Hi, depends on what you subject matter is, imo. Canon is great for run and gun work, you get to see the aperature readout in the canon viewfinder. The special, is fairly noisy, but the images are a lot sharper than the canon, even with the special at full aperautre the image is superb. Canons go soft wide open. I have in my toy box canon 1014xls, special and beaulieu 7008 with 6-80. If i have to choose only one camera, it would be the special, more rugged than the beaulieu, plus with the special you have the choice of the wonderful 10mm cinegon. Providing the beaulieu is fully serviced and lens correctly adjusted the camera will deliver stunning results, best lens option is the 6-66 and somewhat rare 6-80. Of course the nikon r10 delivers sharper images than the canon 814/1014xls, so dont overlook the r10.
my choice would be
special
beaulieu
nikon r10
canon 814/1014xls
BK

Post by BK »

If you want sharpness, the Leicina Special with the lengendary 10mm Cinegon for sure...the images seems to sparkle.

Bill
MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 »

cineandy wrote:Of course the nikon r10 delivers sharper images than the canon 814/1014xls, so dont overlook the r10.
Are you comparing sharpness between R10 and 1014E or between R10 and 1014XLS??
greg_8mm

Post by greg_8mm »

I'd say it doesnt matter that much since the 1014e and the 1014xls have almost the same lens (if im correct)
alex-rus

Post by alex-rus »

greg_8mm wrote:I'd say it doesnt matter that much since the 1014e and the 1014xls have almost the same lens (if im correct)
No, 1014XL-S has completely other lens ,with modern construction, including the advanced lens covering.
________
Alexander,
filmmaker from Russia
MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 »

greg_8mm wrote:I'd say it doesnt matter that much since the 1014e and the 1014xls have almost the same lens (if im correct)
They are not equal, xls lens were improved and have another coating. There are 7 years of difference between both models...

Also being the R10 a contemporary Nikon (or even earlier) of the 814/1014E models of Canon, I hardly believe that it could be compared with the later 1014XLS in terms of image sharpness, but of course I might be wrong.
cineandy

Re: Canon 814/1014XLS vs Beaulieu and Leicina Special comparison

Post by cineandy »

nikon R10, is extremely sharp, much sharper than 1014xl-s lens, especially wide open.....
fogo

Post by fogo »

I count myself as one of those Leicina Special owners 'who think the R10 is a better camera' to quote another forum member.

In reality theres pros and cons with both. If you've not seen any plus-x or 100D shot with an R10, you're in for a VERY pleasant surprise. I think it is genuinely supersharp. Its slightly more cumbersome to use than a special, has slightly less useful manual controls (eg lots of rewind / fade stuff etc, but poorer aperture / asa) and is more difficult to find in good condition. One problem with the Special could well be that the Optivarons suffer more slackness in the zoom after all this time, perhaps a possible reason the cinegon repeatedly gets a good press, on what is, after all, a pretty solid foundation of quality gate etc etc.

Then again of course, especially if your not filming at short focal lengths (ie under 15mm, which might in fact be just the lengths you need to be filming at), theres some pretty good lenses out there in M and Leica R mount...

fogo
alex-rus

Post by alex-rus »

Thanks for answers.

I shall try to buy new Beaulieu 6008 with the complete set and some C-mount lenses. I do not think that the image captured with Canon 1014XL-S can be compared with Beaulieu and Leicina Special image quality (image sharpness).
________
Alexander,
filmmaker from Russia
adamgarner

Post by adamgarner »

Does anyone have any footage they'd like to share shot on the 6008, or the special? If someone has some professionally telecined footage, compressed with h.264 or something clear and crisp as far as compression, I'd love to see it.

I have some HD-telecined Canon 1014XL-S posted here within the past few days. Seems razor sharp to me, so if it could get BETTER I'd LOVE to know how much better. I'd buy a 6008 in a heartbeat if I knew what the results looked like.

Thanks in advance.
Adam
trigger-studios.com
adam@trigger-studios.com
alex-rus

Post by alex-rus »

Also it would be interesting to see Beaulieu 6008 (or other models) vs Leicina Special comparison...
________
Alexander,
filmmaker from Russia
super8man

Post by super8man »

Can someone define "sharpness" and does it really matter? This argument is lame...sorry, but it is. Just use a camera that meets your needs. R10, 1014XLS, Beaulieu, Elmo 1012XLS, Lecina Special, etc, etc...

Of course, if you want real sharpness, get a Fujica Z2 and use Fujichrome 25 reversal film...

Again, can someone please define sharpness? And of course it is dependent on the filmstock used...
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/