Cameras that can meter for a correctly notched 100D cart

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Muckymuck

Cameras that can meter for a correctly notched 100D cart

Post by Muckymuck »

Here's the start of a list of cameras that I know for certain (because I've used them) can use Ektachrome 100D if the cart is correctly notched.

Furthermore, if using WITTNER carts (notched 64D/100T) and the camera has a * by it, set the filter switch/screw to TUNGSTEN setting for 100 ISO.

OTHERWISE, just insert the Wittner cart and leave the filter setting to DAYLIGHT

-Zenit Quarz 1 x 8S-2* (set dial to -1 and filter to TUNGSTEN).
-Sankyo Super CM 300*, 400*, 600* etc.
-GAF 735*, 738*
-Sankyo Hi-Focus CME 660, 880, 1100 etc
-Canon 514XL
-Canon 310XL

Also worth noting, the Agfa Movexoom 6 and 10. (Put filter into TUNGSTEN position and select "+" exposure compensation setting. This will meter the film at 80 ISO without filter. A hardly noticeable 1/3 stop overexposure.)

Right, let's get this list up and running, and it might be worth a page on the Super8wiki. Of course, if Wittner, Pro8 etc notched the carts the same as Plus X we'd be fine either way! How do Spectra notch theirs?
Chris-B

Post by Chris-B »

Nizo 481*, 561* and 801*.
I'm sure they are many other Nizo models too.

Also the Eumig 860 PMA and 880 PMA (and I would guess the Bolex versions of these cameras, the 660 and 680, but i don't own any of the Bolex models).

I'll see what others I can think of.
Chris.
Last edited by Chris-B on Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
alex-rus

Post by alex-rus »

Quarz 1x8C-2 and Quarz 8XL not have reading a notches of the filter and read 100D without problems
________
Alexander,
filmmaker from Russia
bakanosaru

Post by bakanosaru »

Are you sure the Wittner carts are incorrectly notched.
Have you measured with the cart notch ruler. Does it have a filter notch?
Or are you basing this only on the fact that Wittner says to set the filter setting to tungsten light (i.e. no filter)? Even if the cart was correctly notched as 100D (not 100T) this would still be good advice as not all cameras have filter notch detectors.
Muckymuck

Post by Muckymuck »

No, I've seen and checked it (though batches do change, so it may be correctly notched now- I last used 100D in April, being restricted by finances into using 64T until now.

Am going to shoot the Remembrance Day parade in London next Sunday on 100D though, so I'll be able to check the latest carts for any changes.
Chris-B

Post by Chris-B »

I bought some Wittner 100d about 3months ago and it was notched at 64D (no filter notch).
I wish they would just notch it correctly, I don't know why they did this.
I used a Nizo 561macro so it wasn't too much of a problem for that camera but it is still annoying.
Chris.
Chris-B

Post by Chris-B »

Hello Alex!
Do you own or have you used a Quarz 8XL.
Is it the same as the Кварц-8XL listed here?
http://zenit.istra.ru/archive/quarz/index.html

I'd love to know more about this camera.
How do you set the film speed? Is it a dial like on the Quarz 1 x 8S-2?
What it the quality of the images?
How good is it for low light?

It would be cool if you have some info you could share.
Chris.
Last edited by Chris-B on Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris-B

Post by Chris-B »

I guess most cameras that do not use TTL metering can be tricked into metering 100d correctly (Eumig Nautica and Elmo 103 are two that I own).

Also camera's with manual asa setting such as most Beaulieu's will work, but the question was which cameras can meter for a correctly notched 100D cart, so cameras with manual asa settings will meter correctly regardless of how it's notched.

Chris.
alex-rus

Post by alex-rus »

Chris-B wrote:Hello Alex!
Do you own or have you used a Quarz 8XL.
Is it the same as the Кварц-8XL listed here?
http://zenit.istra.ru/archive/quarz/index.html

I'd love to know more about this camera.
How do you set the film speed? Is it a dial like on the Quarz 1 x 8S-2?
What it the quality of the images?
How good is it for low light?

It would be cool if you have some info you could share.
Chris.
Hello!

I have created new topic about this camera (Quarz 8XL). Click here viewtopic.php?t=17994
________
Alexander,
filmmaker from Russia
Muckymuck

Post by Muckymuck »

[quote="bakanosaru"]Are you sure the Wittner carts are incorrectly notched.
Have you measured with the [url=http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Super_8 ... otch_Ruler]cart notch ruler[/url]. Does it have a filter notch?
Or are you basing this only on the fact that Wittner says to set the filter setting to tungsten light (i.e. no filter)? Even if the cart was correctly notched as 100D (not 100T) this would still be good advice as not all cameras have filter notch detectors.[/quote]

I can confirm that the current WITTNER carts are notched for 64D/100T. I've just got a fresh one and checked it against the cartridge notch ruler. This confirms previous experience when I used a camera to see which of the "teeth" on the sensor lever were pushed in. It's DEFINITELY 64D/100T.
marc

Post by marc »

Muckymuck wrote:
bakanosaru wrote:Are you sure the Wittner carts are incorrectly notched.
Have you measured with the cart notch ruler. Does it have a filter notch?
Or are you basing this only on the fact that Wittner says to set the filter setting to tungsten light (i.e. no filter)? Even if the cart was correctly notched as 100D (not 100T) this would still be good advice as not all cameras have filter notch detectors.
I can confirm that the current WITTNER carts are notched for 64D/100T. I've just got a fresh one and checked it against the cartridge notch ruler. This confirms previous experience when I used a camera to see which of the "teeth" on the sensor lever were pushed in. It's DEFINITELY 64D/100T.
Apparently, what I have gathered in the past several days ( and I could still be wrong), is that a true 100D nothced cart actually has an ASA notch for 160T. But when the filter pin in the camera is triggered to remove it, the camera automatically adjusts for 100D. I guess that this illustrates that the automatic filter pin and the manual filter switch do not communicate the same infomation as the automatic filter pin is intended for daylight stocks only and when activated, it lowers the ASA as rather than raising it. I was naive to think that a film stock with an ASA film of 100D would have the same film speed notching as a cartridge notched for 100T. But I guess this was done for the "no brainers" back in the day that would pick up a camera, for lack of any other options, and proceed to point and shoot. I guess that this makes sense considering the original market of Super 8. But looking at it in a more professional light, it seems more logical that a 100 ASA film stock, whether it be Daylight or Tungsten, should have the same speed notch. And then It would be up to the knowledgable user to know when and when not to insert or remove the internal filter. However, I still find it hard to believe that there are'nt just as many cameras that don't have filter pins that read 100T. And maybe it would be beneficial for both camera types to put the 100D in a 100T nothced cart. If Witner does it, there must be something to it!
Chris-B

Post by Chris-B »

You are correct re the notching above-

If it had the same size notch at the top of the cartridge as 160t and no lower filter notch that would make it correctly notched at 100asa Daylight.
Which is how Plus-x 100asa Black and White film is notch.
The problem is that the Wittner Chrome 100d cartridge has the same size notch as 100t with no lower filter notch, so this means it is notch for 64asa Daylight.

I can not confirm if other companies notch like this for Ektachrome 100d as I have only used Wittner's film so far.

Chris.
marc

Post by marc »

Chris-B wrote:You are correct re the notching above-

If it had the same size notch at the top of the cartridge as 160t and no lower filter notch that would make it correctly notched at 100asa Daylight.
Which is how Plus-x 100asa Black and White film is notch.
The problem is that the Wittner Chrome 100d cartridge has the same size notch as 100t with no lower filter notch, so this means it is notch for 64asa Daylight.

I can not confirm if other companies notch like this for Ektachrome 100d as I have only used Wittner's film so far.

Chris.
While they are informing the user to remove the filter ( for camers that don't have filter pins), are they also informing them to cut the notch on cameras that do have filter pins?
Jim Carlile

Post by Jim Carlile »

marc wrote: Apparently, what I have gathered in the past several days ( and I could still be wrong), is that a true 100D nothced cart actually has an ASA notch for 160T. But when the filter pin in the camera is triggered to remove it, the camera automatically adjusts for 100D... Actually, the purpose of the filter pin primarily is to knock out the I was naive to think that a film stock with an ASA film of 100D would have the same film speed notching as a cartridge notched for 100T.
THE SMPTE standard for setting the meter for a 100D film is to notch the cartridge at the 160T/100D speed indice, and then make it notchless, to push in the filter pin and trigger the meter to open up the aperture 2/3 of a stop without the filter in place. This not only made it impossible to ruin the footage by accidental placement of the filter in the path, but it also made it easier for camera manufacturers to design down the cameras.
However, I still find it hard to believe that there are'nt just as many cameras that don't have filter pins that read 100T. And maybe it would be beneficial for both camera types to put the 100D in a 100T notched cart. If Witner does it, there must be something to it!
There are a lot of cameras that won't read the 100T/64D speed notch. I can only think of one 100T film that was ever made, and that was an old Ansco or Scotch stock in the mid 70's. Plus-X only became 100D a few years ago, and it follows the SMPTE standard.

The problem with developing a list is that first it has to be determined how many notch variations there are for 100D. Then you have to determine how to get around each cartridge for each camera, such as cover the filter notch, or cut a filter notch if one isn't present, etc.
marc

Post by marc »

Jim Carlile wrote:
There are a lot of cameras that won't read the 100T/64D speed notch. I can only think of one 100T film that was ever made, and that was an old Ansco or Scotch stock in the mid 70's. Plus-X only became 100D a few years ago, and it follows the SMPTE standard.
The reason that I have a hard time understanding this is because any Super 8 camera I have ever used has the 100T/64D option. While there may be many that don't, I still feel that there are significant number that do. But, as I said before, I tend towards the cameras from the early to mid 70's and while there may not have only been one 100T stock produced in super 8, these said cameras were designed to handle it. Was there ever a 100D produced in a Super 8 cartridge?