Suggestions for a Decent, Readily Available S8 Projector?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

super8film

Suggestions for a Decent, Readily Available S8 Projector?

Post by super8film »

Hi all.

Just curious if anyone might be able to recommend a decent quality, relatively inexpensive variety of S8 projector that's relatively inexpensive and readily available on eBay. I currently have an older B&H projector, but I've started having problems with the film transport, and the picture occasionally goes blurry in a portion of the frame, so it might be time to look for a new projector...or at least a projector that's new to me :) With so many brands and models out there for resale, I just thought I'd see if I could get some recommendations for a decent, relatively inexpensive projector. I don't need anything terribly fancy, nor do I need S8 sound playback capabilities, although I would like to have 24 FPS projection capability, and perhaps even a variable shutter speed adjustment would be nice (for when I transfer to video), but it's not really a necessity. That said, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

Anything that works and doesn't eat your film. Look for listings where they show a pic of the projector screening an image. They are common, and worked well for me. Expect to pay more for a guaranteed work horse. If the shipping is more that the unit, expect a parts bucket. I paid $200 for a new condition Sankyo Sound, it loads and purs like brand new.
100D and Vision 3 please
super8man

Post by super8man »

Early ELMO units may fit the bill. Set up an email alert in ebay for ELMO PROJECTOR and you should be good.
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
pbrstreetgang

Post by pbrstreetgang »

Just curious if anyone might be able to recommend a decent quality, relatively inexpensive variety of S8 projector that's relatively inexpensive and readily available on eBay.
well, relatively speaking, anything by Bauer (T502 and above) or Elmo (ST1200) rock.

regards,

a...
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

The Bolex 18 5L Super projectors are simple, robust, and sometimes inexpensive. Here's one on offer at eBay.com now: http://cgi.ebay.com/BOLEX-SUPER-8MM-PRO ... dZViewItem
Blue Audio Visual

Post by Blue Audio Visual »

As far as I can remember, the 18-5 is an 18FPS projector only. But they do look really good, which is a good enough reason for me to consider buying one.

Over here in the UK most of the Prinz Magnon projectors that I have come across are pretty reliable, but I think they must have been marketed under a different name in The States.

The Sankyo Dualux range is generally pretty reliable.
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

Blue Audio Visual wrote:As far as I can remember, the 18-5 is an 18FPS projector only.
Oops, you're correct. The 18 5L Super runs at 18f/s and 5f/s only.
Blue Audio Visual

My only other thoughts are.....

NEVER buy an Italian made Super 8 projector. They are almost always truly awful. I can't remember any brand names, I have obviously tried to excise them from my failing memory.

Apologies to any Italian forum member out there who might take umbrage at my sweeping statement above!
ultramarine

Post by ultramarine »

NEVER buy an Italian made Super 8 projector. They are almost always truly awful. I can't remember any brand names, I have obviously tried to excise them from my failing memory.
xmm...Fumeo maybe? they have the reputation to be the best projectors ever made...(and most expensive of course)

I wouldn't recommend the Bolex for one more reason (which seems that everybody overlooks, I really can't understand it) :
the lamp is very very rare and very very expensive! IF you find it, you must pay more than you paid for the projector itself. So my advice: keep away from the Bolex. Get a Bauer or a Braun visacustic and you won't regret it.
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

ultramarine wrote:
xmm...Fumeo maybe? they have the reputation to be the best projectors ever made...(and most expensive of course)

I wouldn't recommend the Bolex for one more reason (which seems that everybody overlooks, I really can't understand it) :
the lamp is very very rare and very very expensive! IF you find it, you must pay more than you paid for the projector itself. So my advice: keep away from the Bolex. Get a Bauer or a Braun visacustic and you won't regret it.
The lamp is admittedly a real weakness of the Bolex 18-5L Super, although the example I own is late series and equipped with a 75W EFN Halogen lamp. Conversion kits are available for earlier projectors, but, like the incandescent lamp originally specified, they're expensive (Chambless Cine Equipment offers a modification for $75.00, but you've got to ship the projector to them). Interestingly, the Bolex SM8 sound projector was manufactured by Silma, an Italian company. The example I own is of mostly metal construction, has served me well, and it runs at 18f/s and 24f/s.

The Fumeo 9145 Xenon Super 8 projector is on my wish list, but I expect the people who own them know what they've got and aren't going to part with these machines.
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

I lust for a Fumeo S-8mm projector, they are out of my price range unfortunately.
I have owned three Bolex SM8 projectors over the years, all failed, had issues and needed repairs. I gave up on them. Too bad, I love the design and when they worked they were excellent.

David M. Leugers
Blue Audio Visual

ultramarine wrote: I wouldn't recommend the Bolex for one more reason (which seems that everybody overlooks, I really can't understand it) :
the lamp is very very rare and very very expensive! IF you find it, you must pay more than you paid for the projector itself.
This may only be my failing memory, but AFAIK some of the later 18/5s projectors were manufactured using a more commonly available lamp, possibly the A1/17 (CXR). Anyone out there who can confirm or deny this?
The Swede

Post by The Swede »

ELMO K-100 a perfect projector
gianni1

Post by gianni1 »

Apologies to any Italian forum member out there who might take umbrage at my sweeping statement
Ha! I've got two Italian projectors. One looks to be a Mupi but it's a noname brand, cost me two pounds sterling, boxed, clean and with a new 10w lamp and fresh belts. As long as it don't scratch, eat, chew and spit out film... The other one is totally plastic, with a low wattage bulb, weighs like a feather (pillow), and fits in a kids back pack, and cost five Pounds Sterling. I've also got a tiny Hong Kong 8mm wind up model, that only takes 8mm cost me fifty pence!

I plan to use the cheap toy projectors for Saturday youth club entertainment, old cartoons, swashbucklers, etc... and make the kids themselves set up everything. I use a better projector like 50 or 100w Eumig's, Elmo's, GAF's, or Sankyo's for projecting my work films.

Gianni 8)
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

Blue Audio Visual wrote:
ultramarine wrote: I wouldn't recommend the Bolex for one more reason (which seems that everybody overlooks, I really can't understand it) :
the lamp is very very rare and very very expensive! IF you find it, you must pay more than you paid for the projector itself.
This may only be my failing memory, but AFAIK some of the later 18/5s projectors were manufactured using a more commonly available lamp, possibly the A1/17 (CXR). Anyone out there who can confirm or deny this?
The instruction manual accompanying my 18-5L Super shows both a 12V/75W incandescent lamp and a 12V/75W halogen lamp, but the halogen lamp is shown in the adapter that is now seemingly rare and expensive. Nowhere in the manual is the halogen lamp code given, but BolexCollector.com indicates "earlier models used the 13730C04 RT44 bulb which is now obsolete with no modern equivalent. Modern replacement for later models: EFN 12V/75W Halogen lamp."