super 8 and air travel

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

saltyninja

super 8 and air travel

Post by saltyninja »

hi guys,

a question about air travel. i'm new to Super 8 and plan to take my camera and some Tri-X and Plus-X reversal film on a trip from the united states to germany. i plan to stash it all cosily in my checked baggage.

my question is: do airport security x-rays damage unexposed super 8 film stock? what about rolls that have been shot but not yet developed? i'm wondering if I should perhaps mail the film to myself instead.

i'm totally naive on the technical aspects so any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

stefan
super8france

Post by super8france »

Hi

Mexico to France
Kenya to France

in a special bag, no problem for me.

In my bag I had Vision 2-200T + Kahl UT 18 ...
aj

Re: super 8 and air travel

Post by aj »

saltyninja wrote:my question is: do airport security x-rays damage unexposed super 8 film stock? what about rolls that have been shot but not yet developed? i'm wondering if I should perhaps mail the film to myself instead.

Check for old threads on the subject. There are plenty. Use google on this site or the search function of the forum itself.

In brief. hardly a thing to fear. But, mail indeed doesn't get x-ray-ed at all. You could mail them to the lab directly. then they are ready when you get home (possibly) :) The risk of getting lost in the mail is a multitude larger then receiving damage from the modern and low-level handbag x-ray scanners.
Last edited by aj on Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kind regards,

André
onsuper8

Post by onsuper8 »

I had a load of Kodachrome that went through a very clunky looking ex Eastern Bloc X-Ray machine in Cuba and it had no problems!
Film16

Post by Film16 »

Spain, Brazil, New Zealand, Italy and South Africa to UK no problems so far with fresh or exposed S8/16mm stock. I usually say I have film + camera equipment in my hand-luggage as a courtesy, so they are less likely to want to inspect. If you have a lot of stock, especially 16mm it is good to ring ahead and have a change bag handy.
BolexPlusX

Post by BolexPlusX »

New York to Moscow (X-rayed once)

Shot some footage

Moscow to Sakhalin Island (X-rayed again)

Stayed a week, shot a lot of footage.

Sakhalin to Moscow (X-rayed again)

Shot more footage

Moscow to New York (X-rayed twice more: once at check in and once at the gate)

Shot more footage, sent it all to the lab.

It all looked fine.
Chris-B

Post by Chris-B »

I was always told to put any electrical items in my hand baggage.

If the airport needs to check what the electrical item is in there, then it's best to watch them check your hand baggage rather than rip open your case when your not there.

I've had loads of cases damaged and you can see how your stuff gets thrown around when they are loading and unloading it.

I would never check a camera in.

Chris
Angus

Post by Angus »

Film should be put in your hand bagage. Here's why....

Your checked bags are subject to extra x-ray checks. The security machinery makes an initial scan and uses it to locate any electrical/electronic items...or anything else it is unsure of from a safety standpoint. These items are then scanned more intensely and aggressively to be sure there's nothing dangerous in there. The scanners can recognise explosives which is basically what they are looking for, in among your camcorder, super 8 camera, laptop, vibrator or whatever else you take. Electronic parts and in particular rechargable batteries were in the past used to disguise explosives.

The problem is with the aggressive x-ray scanning, film of all speeds really can be damaged (Kodak has examples on their website). And that machine will keep scanning your bag until it is satisfied there's nothing dangerous in there. Since the process usually takes place away from anywhere you can see it and is often automated there is *nothing* you can do about it. If you put your films in a lead lined container they'll scan it with the highest power x-rays allowed and probably open your bag and ruin the films in order to find out what's not scanning properly (the lead bag).

Your carry-on hand baggage is only scanned once per airport you visit. Furthermore the x-rays used are of lower intensity compared to those which might be experienced by your checked bags. You can see the scanning process, and if they are at all concerned your bag is not usually scanned a second time - you are asked to empty it and go through the contents. A hassle but no damage to your films.

Personally these days I always put films in carry on. Even with the current restrictions I can get a book, laptop + PSU, MP4 player, 8 rolls of super 8 and a baggie full of 35mm film into my carry on. Sometimes a super 8 camera too.

It is safe to assume that the US authorities are going to be more worried about scanning bags than most countries and is best not to take any risks when US airports are concerned. They also have older checked bag scanners than typical European airports. They even now warn you at every American airport I've visited in the last 4 years that film should not be in checked baggage - film of any speed - because it probably will be damaged.

The hand baggage scanners usually say they're safe for films up to 800ASA (which covers all super 8 material) but I've put film rated at 3200 through and then pushed two stops without any trouble.

I travel quite a bit around Europe, transatlantic and within the USA. I have never had any damage to films - at least none I have noticed. But I do take the trouble to find out how scanning procedures change over the years.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

hi guys,

a question about time travel. i'm new to reverse osmotic paradigm shift and plan to take my camera and some Tri-X and Vision film on a trip from the present day united states to germany, circa 1760 to film a Mozart concert. i plan to stash it all cosily in my Tardis.

my question is: do Velocitron rays damage unexposed super 8 film stock? what about rolls that have been shot but not yet developed? If I store the rolls upside down will they expose backwards?

i'm totally naive on the technical aspects so any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Angus

Post by Angus »

To be really sure, store your films in the Zero room of the Tardis rather than the console room...that way you're furthest away from the time vortex.

Your biggest problem is going to be persuading modern day viewers that your film really is Mozart.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

Why is that? Pictures don't lie...

Besides, I've figured out a way around it. Since I'm travelling backwards in time, I can process the film FIRST! That should work, right?