Newbie + first camera

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

nglester

Newbie + first camera

Post by nglester »

Hallo all, i am new here.
In fact, i have just purchased my first super8 camera on ebay.
I am not looking to shoot some artistic short films or something like that. :oops:
Personally i really like the antique feel of super8 films and would like to have some fun shots with family and friends. :D
Hope you guys can help me out if i am stuck in any problems in the future.
Pardon my bad english too.

Thanks in advance.

salute to all the pros.
Lester
Angus

Post by Angus »

Hey,

Your English is fine...welcome to the group.

What camera do you have? Chances are someone else on this group has the same or a similar model.

Personally although I have some ideas for an artistic short or two I never seem to get them off the ground...but I shoot a fair amount of super 8 for fun...right now I am on holiday with the wife in Bournemouth and didn't even bring the digital video camera...but I have a truckload of super 8 64T and some 200T.

Last weekend I blew a roll of 200T at a bowling alley just filming friends...some may well end up on an internet pay site but its purely a hobby for me.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
nglester

Post by nglester »

Thanks for your reply Angus

8O "a truckload of 64T" 8O !!!

You are so lucky, after researching some information after super8 cameras and gears, i just realise that in what kind of expensive hobby i got myself into..haha

The 64T films cost like 40USD a box here in London (+ processing, Thank god)

My camera is a "Yashica Super 40K", is it any good? All that i know it's japanese made and it was pretty cheap at the time. I only bought it because it's in working condition and looks beautifully vintage :lol:
Hope thats a good camera to start with for a beginner like me.

If not, any suggestion?
Angus

Post by Angus »

The Yashica Super 40 is not bad at all. They made some nice camears.

If you're in the UK try buying from 7dayshop.com...£7.99 a roll and then I usually send to Andec in Berlin...though I've also tried Dwaynes in Kansas - the latter process for $9 a pop and their postage is very reasonable if you send a few rolls at once.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
nglester

Post by nglester »

:D oh, thank you for your advice. Good to know where to get cheaper films and processing studios.

Next, i am thinking to get myself a little projector or viewer or something like that.
:o
Rick Palidwor

Post by Rick Palidwor »

Lester
Check http://www.onsuper8.org for lots of useful references.
Rick
nglester

Post by nglester »

:D Thanks Rick, i am working on it.
nglester

Post by nglester »

:lol: HAHAHA, my first camera finally arrived home. So happy, just had it polished. Now it looks like a fresh born baby

But there is 1 button i have no idea what it's for.. can anyone please help me out??
Whats the "R" & "RL" stands for?
Thank you.

MoonstruckProductions

Post by MoonstruckProductions »

Run and Run Lock.

-Scott
nglester

Post by nglester »

MoonstruckProductions wrote:Run and Run Lock.

-Scott

Thanks scott

Is it like a HOLD button like iPods?
MoonstruckProductions

Post by MoonstruckProductions »

Sort of like that. :) You see that little hole between the YASHICA name and the ON/OFF switch? That hole should be a 1/8" plug. I can't remember the size, but if you go to radio shack and buy a mono plug to fit that hole and some speaker wire and a two-way switch, you can build a remote control for the camera.

But in order for that to work, the trigger must be pulled. So, you insert the "remote" into the plug and then pull the trigger. With the trigger held in, turn the "R" to "RL" and then let go of the trigger. The trigger will be locked in the "Run" position but since your remote plug is breaking the circuit, the camera won't do anything yet. You just press the button or switch on your remote and the camera will run.

It's great for shots on a tripod that you need extra stable shots from, or crane shots where you can't physically pull the trigger.

-Scott
super8man

Post by super8man »

Welcome!! Nice camera too - the Yashica has pretty good optics considering its vintage. You will get very good results with that. Check out my website below for lots of super 8 stuff.

Cheers,
Mike
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
nglester

Post by nglester »

MoonstruckProductions wrote:Sort of like that. :) You see that little hole between the YASHICA name and the ON/OFF switch? That hole should be a 1/8" plug. I can't remember the size, but if you go to radio shack and buy a mono plug to fit that hole and some speaker wire and a two-way switch, you can build a remote control for the camera.

But in order for that to work, the trigger must be pulled. So, you insert the "remote" into the plug and then pull the trigger. With the trigger held in, turn the "R" to "RL" and then let go of the trigger. The trigger will be locked in the "Run" position but since your remote plug is breaking the circuit, the camera won't do anything yet. You just press the button or switch on your remote and the camera will run.

It's great for shots on a tripod that you need extra stable shots from, or crane shots where you can't physically pull the trigger.

-Scott

:o AHhh.. Thanks a lot scott
nglester

Post by nglester »

super8man wrote:Welcome!! Nice camera too - the Yashica has pretty good optics considering its vintage. You will get very good results with that. Check out my website below for lots of super 8 stuff.

Cheers,
Mike
Thanks Mike, i will do that
downix

Post by downix »

MoonstruckProductions wrote:Sort of like that. :) You see that little hole between the YASHICA name and the ON/OFF switch? That hole should be a 1/8" plug. I can't remember the size, but if you go to radio shack and buy a mono plug to fit that hole and some speaker wire and a two-way switch, you can build a remote control for the camera.

-Scott
Or you could just buy a Pentax or Sigma electronic release cable.