16mm test roll

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

El Jeffe

16mm test roll

Post by El Jeffe »

I hadn't gotten a chance to test out this bolex h16 m5 I got off ebay. So i shot a roll at the same time I shot my first Hvx200 shots. Non color-corrected 100D reversal. Lightly edited.

Lemme know what ya think. I'm definitly gonna stop it down another stop or two next time. Whites are way to blown out for my taste.

http://www.tripoddog.com/tripoddog16.mov

and for the people that liked the hvx footage from the other thread another vid is done with no super8 all hvx stuff here. It's the halfpipe vid.

http://www.tripoddog.com/wcihd.htm
MovieStuff

Re: 16mm test roll

Post by MovieStuff »

El Jeffe wrote:I hadn't gotten a chance to test out this bolex h16 m5 I got off ebay. So i shot a roll at the same time I shot my first Hvx200 shots. Non color-corrected 100D reversal. Lightly edited.

Lemme know what ya think. I'm definitly gonna stop it down another stop or two next time. Whites are way to blown out for my taste.
Yeah, the original footage was pretty hot, which made for a tough transfer. What concerns me is that many shots look like they have vignetting on the edges or, rather, a hot spot in the middle. I don't recall it looking like that on our telecine monitors but I'm not sure if I still have your footage on the hard drives or not to double check. On your posted clip, it seems very apparent, though, and should not be there. Even the leader at the beginning looks like that, unless that is actually just exposed film with it built into the image. Weird. This is perplexing to me because, realistically, it is impossible for our Sniper-16 to produce a hotspot because it uses an even LED array behind the diffuser, not a single LED in the middle. It would be like laying a slide on a light box and then getting a hot spot in the middle. Just not plausible. Jusetan has the same set up on his Sniper-16 and I know he doesn't get that effect. Very odd. :?

Roger
mattias

Post by mattias »

very cool. quite soft for 16mm though, more like super 8. maybe it's the web compression? here's a tip for shooting reversal in the snow: find out how much "headroom" you got on your stock before things blow out. typically it's around two or three stops. then take a reflected reading off the snow and open up that number of stops (some call this the zone system even though that's not quite true). very often this will cause backlit subjects to silhouette but it's usually better than blown out snow. the exception is when there's not very much snow in the frame, or if it's way out of focus, in which case it's fine to overexpose it.

/matt
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

Looks like jitter free super-8. A cool look if that's what you were going for, but personally I would be dissapointed by the softness of this if I had gone to the trouble of shooting 16mm.
Justin Lovell

Post by Justin Lovell »

dude, you got some sick jibbers out there.
justin lovell
cinematographer
8/16/35mm - 2k.5k.HDR.film transfers
http://www.framediscreet.com
El Jeffe

Post by El Jeffe »

I am actually happy with the look. I think it is a very cool look since I like revesal films alot. It was a positive learning experience since next time I shoot some 16 I will take Mattias' advice.

Roger I rechecked the footage and it wasn't from the compression. Let me know if you can recheck things on your side.

thanks

jeff
wado1942

Post by wado1942 »

Most cameras with small CCDs have the problem of hot spots in the middle. All my video cameras, even my GL1 has this problem and it gets lesser as the CCDs get larger. It has to do with the angle of incidence between the lens and the CCD. Since the center of the lens gets very direct light, there's no problem there but as you move toward the edge of the CCDs, more light gets reflected off of the microlenses that cover the pixel wells. It may not have been visible on the monitors because of the NTSC gamma standards but shows on computer monitor because it uses different gamma curves alltogether which may exaggerate the problem. It's also possible that the problem was multiplied though processing after Roger had it.
I may sound stupid, but I hide it well.
http://www.gcmstudio.com
Justin Lovell

Post by Justin Lovell »

strange that there is a hot spot.

1 have zero hot spot on my 16mm sniper. The light source is a diffused LED, coming off a completely flat source. Something strange would have to be happening down the chain.. (or maybe in the 16mm camera's lens?)
justin lovell
cinematographer
8/16/35mm - 2k.5k.HDR.film transfers
http://www.framediscreet.com
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

jusetan wrote:strange that there is a hot spot.

1 have zero hot spot on my 16mm sniper. The light source is a diffused LED, coming off a completely flat source.
Exactly. This really bothers me because, obviously, we put a great deal of effort into making sure that our units are totally free of hot spot.

Jeff, contact me off-list. I'd like you to send the footage back to me, at your convenience. I feel this is important enought that I would like to take a look at the raw footage again.

Roger
El Jeffe

Post by El Jeffe »

lens is a Angenieux 12-120 with the built in viewfinder. I used a B+W 25% ND filter aswell
pinata2000

Post by pinata2000 »

i was wondering if some one could tell me what a hot spot looks like. i have watched the clip 4 time and i am not sure what to look for :oops: .... by the way El Jeffe nice clip :D
vidwerk

Post by vidwerk »

Looks a lot like Mammoth Mountain, CA where I lived in for a while a few years back. Is it anywhere close by?

vidwerk.
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

pinata2000 wrote:i was wondering if some one could tell me what a hot spot looks like. i have watched the clip 4 time and i am not sure what to look for :oops: .... by the way El Jeffe nice clip :D
A hot spot means the illumination is uneven across the frame. If you look at this clip, the corners are darker than the center. It is more apparent on scenes of broad, light scenery, such as snow or sky. There should be no hot spot of any kind if illuminated properly during transfer.

Roger
Mitch Perkins

Post by Mitch Perkins »

MovieStuff wrote:
pinata2000 wrote:i was wondering if some one could tell me what a hot spot looks like. i have watched the clip 4 time and i am not sure what to look for :oops: .... by the way El Jeffe nice clip :D
A hot spot means the illumination is uneven across the frame. If you look at this clip, the corners are darker than the center. It is more apparent on scenes of broad, light scenery, such as snow or sky. There should be no hot spot of any kind if illuminated properly during transfer.

Roger
I'll bet it's that Angenieux 12-120, coupled with the 25% ND filter.

Mitch
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Mitch Perkins wrote:
MovieStuff wrote:

Roger
I'll bet it's that Angenieux 12-120, coupled with the 25% ND filter.
I hope so. If it's not built into the footage, then I'm kinda stumped, because none of the subsequent 16mm transfers for other customers has any sign of hotspot. Jeff is going to send the footage back to me to look at. Then I'll know more.

Roger