warning pay pal fake mail

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

paul

warning pay pal fake mail

Post by paul »

I received this mail. It is fake and shouldn't be trusted (as you might have suspected your self)

This is the text:

"Dear PayPal . valued member,

Because of unusual number of invalid login attempts on you account, we had to believe that, there might be some security problems with your account.

We have decided to put an verification process to ensure your identity and your account security.

Please click on continue to the verification process and ensure your account security. It is all about your security."

etc. etc. Don't respond!!!!!

Paul
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

I get about 20 of these a day.

A good rule is to check if the embedded URL is the same as what it looks like (see the code). It never is.

Another rule is that if it doesn't contain your name, but only Dear valued member etc. it's fake.

/Andreas
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
Rollef

Post by Rollef »

They pour english may also bey AN claw
DriveIn

Post by DriveIn »

awand wrote: ...Another rule is that if it doesn't contain your name, but only Dear valued member etc. it's fake.
/Andreas
The name is no longer a valid test either. I have recieved spoofs containing my first and last name. The email address I used for ebay was harvested from someones computer that I had a transaction with in the past. I hate it when people save your email address and name for one transaction. The spammers have become very specific, but they still have difficulties with the english language. The best spoof is still a giveaway when you read the text. I changed the my associated email account that was used for ebay in the past. I still monitor what comes into the old one account. They are getting rather aggresive in their methods, but at least I know that all messages to that email address are spoofs. I report them daily, as some are getting too good not to report.
studiocarter

Post by studiocarter »

When you click on it they get your charge card, your bank account, pay pal and so on. Paypal usually and then other accounts connected to it.

I know. :oops:
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

Hi,

the problem is that some of those eBay/paypal-fake-emails now only contain links to ebay/paypal! But only on the first glance since the links are like this:
http://signin.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... server.cn/

(With a special thanks to eBay and Paypal for offering those redirect-services on their webpages at all and hence making their services more secure every day!)

Jörg
This space was left intenionally blank.
christoph

Post by christoph »

actually for people who use a email client that support html mails recognising inaccurate links is very difficult.

best protection is to *never* click on a link if in involves money transactions (ebay, paypal, bank etc). instead, open a new browser window and type in the url manually (or click on your bookmark)

++ christoph ++
aj

Post by aj »

And don't use stored passwords or use session remembering. Especially not on laptops. If the thing gets stolen first steps into your account are easy for the thieves. Then you have to rely on missing transaction codes. Don't scan these and don't store these on the same computer. And don't show the kids, housekeepers etc where these are stored otherwise the money leak can be closer than you expect and want to find out.
Kind regards,

André
mattias

Post by mattias »

i love the very common one with subject "you're billing information". no, i'm a human being thank you. :-)

/matt