transferring sound from a s8 projector into a mac/pc?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

pbrstreetgang

transferring sound from a s8 projector into a mac/pc?

Post by pbrstreetgang »

Has anyone hooked up their sound super 8mm projectors to their mac/pcs via a canopus and transferred super8 audio directly into their computer?

This is what I've done so far:

Ran an RCA wire connection from my projector's (Bauer T502 duo play) external speaker output terminal and plugged it into a canopus that is connected to a mac via its audio input/output RCA jacks. But the mac isn't receiving the audio signal and this is where I'm coming unstuck. I know the audio is going into the canopus because I checked my RCA connection with an external speaker, sounds great, but somehow, or somewhere, the audio is lost between the canopus and the computer.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to use a USB audio adaptor like an IMIC instead of a canopus? Or is this one of those dreaded timecode things? I have tried RCA in/firewire out to mac but it doesn't work. Neither does RCA in/RCA out.

The reason I'm doing this is so I can transfer sound super8 for my customers. I'm using a workprinter to transfer the image but if I can capture the sound as I've just described then I can effectively do sound transfers and sync in post, I hope?

No I haven't searched for similar topics in filmshooting's archives so I apologise if this subject has already been done, over and over 8O

Anyone's thoughts I'd be happy to read :)

Kind regards,

Andy...
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

I believe that the Canopus requires a video signal to interleave the audio with or you won't get anything out of it. Try doing it again but feed a picture from your video camera into the Canopus. Also, you really need to use an attenuator if you are using the speaker output or you can blow the input circuit of your Canopus unit. Speaker outputs are amplified and the Canopus is expecting a line level input, which is not amplified like a speaker output. Radio Shack sells a speaker>line or speaker>mic level attenuator adaptor or cord that should do the trick.
pbrstreetgang

Post by pbrstreetgang »

I believe that the Canopus requires a video signal to interleave the audio with or you won't get anything out of it. Try doing it again but feed a picture from your video camera into the Canopus. Also, you really need to use an attenuator if you are using the speaker output or you can blow the input circuit of your Canopus unit. Speaker outputs are amplified and the Canopus is expecting a line level input, which is not amplified like a speaker output. Radio Shack sells a speaker>line or speaker>mic level attenuator adaptor or cord that should do the trick.
Thanks Roger that's practical advice.

A...
Ericus

Post by Ericus »

Hi Andy,

I have transferred sound with an external USB Creative USB Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX with my Elmo GS 1200 and a synchronizer from Pedro with great succes. He has syncro systems for Bauer also. The sound can be lifted in perfect sync.

http://www.super8sync.com/English/P1008GS.html
http://www.super8sync.com/English/B1008S.html

I had similar difficulties as you when I started to test sound transfers and bought this USB sound "card". My computer did not understand the signal coming from my projector at all, so I had to test several systems and this worked perfectly.

Ericus
pbrstreetgang

sound transfer

Post by pbrstreetgang »

My computer did not understand the signal coming from my projector at all, so I had to test several systems and this worked perfectly.

Ericus, are you using mac or pc?

Thanks for responding by the way :D

A...
Ericus

Re: sound transfer

Post by Ericus »

pbrstreetgang wrote:
My computer did not understand the signal coming from my projector at all, so I had to test several systems and this worked perfectly.

Ericus, are you using mac or pc?

Thanks for responding by the way :D

A...
Hi, I use pc. I think the system works well with macs too.

Ericus