Arriflex introduces new Super 16 camera

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Patrick

Arriflex introduces new Super 16 camera

Post by Patrick »

Many of you are probably already aware of the introduction of the Arriflex 416 due to all the press and accolades surrounding it. Already, it seems to be favourably embraced by camera crews in Europe and the US who have used it for TV movies and commercials. They are raving about the bright, sharp viewfinder, the near silent operation and it's light weight.

The factors that led Arriflex to designing and building a new 16mm camera were "increased sales of the SR3 Advanced cameras, increased footage sales of Kodak Vision2 16mm film stock, the scarcity of camera rental stock as the cameras were continuously rented out, the introduction of the new Cooke and Canon lenses, the refinement of the DI process allowing Super 16 capture and 35mm release, and the leap forward in film scanning brought about by the introduction of the Spirit telecine and the ARRISCAN."

One thing's for sure, it's a very modern looking movie camera.

http://www.arri.de/prod/cam/416/416.html
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Stop trolling eBay for mislabeled S8 cameras and you would have seen it already...

It is a nice camera but I think Arri is to late to the party. They rode the SR cameras to long and didn't fully embrace S16 until the 416.

Good Luck
reflex

Post by reflex »

Nigel wrote:It is a nice camera but I think Arri is to late to the party. They rode the SR cameras to long and didn't fully embrace S16 until the 416.
I think our friends from Munich are just in time to capture sales from 16 millimeter's 'Last Hurrah."

Let's say Santa drops by for a Scotch on Christmas eve after handing out the kid's prezzies. If he offered you any S16 camera, which would you choose?
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Well, I would ask Ol' Santa for another bottle of Johnny Walker Blue and then take an A-Minima out of that bag o' tricks. I mean no sense in lugging that weight back to the North Pole...

In all honesty--It is hard enough to get people to shoot S16 at all these days.

Good Luck
sk360

Post by sk360 »

I've seen a lot of projects being filmed in LA all the time in S16 in the last few years. TV shows like " The Shield" and " Gilmore Girls" have been shooting S16 from the start as well as a few others. If there wasn't a demand for to shoot in 16, would Arri release a brand new film camera with all the "hype" in digital thease days?
sarmoti

Post by sarmoti »

Quite a few productions use S16, off the top of my head:

Scrubs
Malcolm in the Middle
One tree Hill
Studio 60
Revenge of the Middle-Aged Woman
The Dale Earnhardt Story
The Reagans
Frankenstein (the recent one)
The Shield

That's what I can think of in 10 seconds, plus features like Babel have used the format. There's more S16 being shot now than there was 5 years ago, partly due to advances in stocks and telecines.
/Matthew Greene/
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Here in Australia, just about all the film originated TV shows would be shot on S16, as well as some ads. However, such TV shows are in the minority. The majority of the local TV content is filled up with soapies, travelogue, lifestyle, sport, news and reality tv shows which are typical video domain.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

My time behind cameras is being spent less and less with film.

Sure, there are a lot of S16 shoots. But I don't know if it was a wise move for Arri to spend the money on R&D to come out with a rip off of an Aaton.

That is all I am saying. Arri should have embraced S16 20+ years ago instead of treating it as though it was a fad. They should have given up of the SR after the SR2.

The 416 looks like a pretty sweet camera but most people at the party are getting ready to go.

Good Luck
sarmoti

Post by sarmoti »

Let's not forget that the growing area independent cinema productions shoot not only video but also quite a bit of S16. A guy on CML said his Aaton package used to average 20 days/year rental in 2002 and now it's renting 3 times as much.

We typically used to shoot just about everything on 35mm and occasionally 16mm for numerous reasons (including distribution, future proofing and people's personal preference). Nowadays we're doing much more HDCAM and Video but only because of location (we're on tour and don't always have a lab and/or telecine nearby for quick turnarounds). Whenever deadlines allow and the project isn't a throwaway we still shoot on film.
/Matthew Greene/
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I would like to be in that guys market...

When I try to rent out my camera package Indies won't have any of it. They want HD and more HD.

The last time I spoke with Abel about having my camera serviced they said that they have yet to take a single order for the Xtera and haven't sold an XTR in "A long time."

I have an XTR in my hands right now that I am thinking of buying. But can't quite find the way to justify it when it has only gotten harder for me to rent my gear.

Good Luck
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

Well, I would ask Ol' Santa for another bottle of Johnny Walker Blue and then take an A-Minima out of that bag o' tricks
blended...? Come on...
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

If it tastes good--It is good.

Good Luck
sarmoti

Post by sarmoti »

Nigel wrote:I would like to be in that guys market...
That would be Mitch Gross in New York City. Where are you located?

It's hard to justify purchasing a brand new S16 camera unless you're one of the major rental companies or have some incredible contract to shoot S16 for years. The investment is pretty heavy and when you can get an older XTR or SR with just about the same features for a fraction of the cost of a new camera it's almost a no brainer. It's not much different with 35... Damn, if video cameras only had a usable lifespan of more than a few years...
/Matthew Greene/
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

... so I've got this CP16R I'm thinking of revamping to S16 and PL mount. It won't be an Arri 416, just a hopefully nice "B" camera. Do you think its worth a few grand to move up to S16 and keep this camera going?
Robert Hughes
sarmoti

Post by sarmoti »

I'd say go for it if it's in good mechanical condition, have availability of service/spare parts and you have a use for S16. The CP16R is a pretty decent and solid camera and if it has everything you need feature wise, with good PL mount glass in S16, the image quality should match just about anything a brand new S16 camera can put out.
/Matthew Greene/