Recommend a Tripod/Fluid Head for Beaulieu 4008ZM2

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

gene_can_sing

Recommend a Tripod/Fluid Head for Beaulieu 4008ZM2

Post by gene_can_sing »

Hi,

I'm looking to get a lightweight Tripod primarily for shooting Surfing and outdoors type shots (lots of running around so Tripod must be light and small), for a Beaulieu 4008ZM2.

What brand of Tripod and Fluid Head would you guys recommend to this Newbie to Super 8mm??

Also, what price range am I looking at for a decent Tripod and Fluid Head

Is there a good dealer (Maybe even in Los Angeles) that you guys would recommend, or should I go the E-Bay route?

Thanks in advance
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

The Miller S8 fluid head tripod, with wood legs + Aluminum leg extensions, is reasonably compact and lightweight. If you intend to fit lenses longer than the 6-66mm or 6-70mm supplied with the Beaulieu 4008 ZM II, a heavier fluid head might be preferable to assure smooth movement. I like the old Miller 'F' and 'LP' fluid head tripods because they're more than adequate for the applications you describe, cost a fraction of newer Sachtler or Vinten or other high-end fluid head tripods, and, like the S8 tripod, are routinely available at eBay. They sell in the range of $125 - $550.

Since these are used tripods, you'll want some assurance from the seller that the heads aren't leaking and that the pan/tilt actions are adequately damped. Also make sure there are no missing parts; while replacements can usually be found, they're not inexpensive.
Last edited by sciolist on Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

...I use a Monfrotto 501 and 3021BPRO legs. The head goes for about 125.00USD and the legs are about $200.00...give or take a bit.

It's not great, but I get by with it.

A set up like this would be good for a surfing road trip, but you might want to rent a legs and head for your project as much as possible. Using a good tripod and head is essential for telephoto pans and that is the technique that most characterizes surf cinematography. At 66mm and 70fps , on overhead days, your Beaulieu will capture the essence of being in the tube. The fast frame rates and mirrored shutter on the Beaulieu renders water droplets and spray beautifully, but you've got to zoom all the way in there...

have fun

Steve
Super8rules

Post by Super8rules »

The Libec TH-M20 is what you seek.

A true cinema tripod. It has a ball head to level your camera (instead of adjusting your legs).

I've used mine with my Sony VX2000 for several years now and it has become one of my best pieces of equipment.

Plus, this thing is LIGHT and collapses to to a compact size so you can be on the run.

Here is the link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... ype=search
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

An 8.8 lb maximum weight may be suitable for video or super 8 but my Kinor with the 400' mag and zoom weighs over 12 lbs...

It's very hard to finda combination of light/portable and solid enough. If it's important footage you should carry a proper tripod and head. I second the recommendations for an old, functional Miller head. These are true fluid heads unlike most of the current models (other than Sachtler and others that are $500+). I use the Bogen/Manfrotto 3036 legs which are extremely stable and cover a wide height range (10 lb weight, though).
Super8rules

Post by Super8rules »

We were talking about little cameras weren't we? That is why I recommended this professional, yet light weight tripod for the Beaulieau.

I wouldn't use it for a Kinor either.

Libec is a trusted name in the tripod world. It also has a true fluid cinema head.

You won't find a better tripod for miniDV/Super8 cameras on the market without spending a ton of money.
flatwood

Post by flatwood »

Evan Kubota wrote:.....second the recommendations for an old, functional Miller head. These are true fluid heads .....
The old Miller 300 (ebay for around $250) is a great head and can take anything you can throw at it. I use mine on some OConnor wood sticks but I think you'd need aluminum if you set up in the water. I think if you budget $500 you can get what you need.
http://MusicRiverofLife.com
http://TabbyCrabb.com
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

Libec is a trusted name in the tripod world. It also has a true fluid cinema head.
No disrespect intended, but 'fluid-action' is not the same as a true fluid head. Bogen also markets a lot of their heads as 'fluid' when they aren't actually using the same principle/design as a true fluid head like a Miller, Sachtler, or O'Connor.

And my suggestion about the weight capacity was just a suggestion. I'd personally try to find something with at least 15 lbs capacity rather than spend another few hundred dollars if he eventually wants to use a 16mm or heavier camera.

My head is the 'original' Miller that has no model name. I paid something around $90 plus shipping and it works very well for my purposes. Although something with spring counterbalancing would be nice too...
Super8rules

Post by Super8rules »

Well, he wants something to shoot surfing on. I did a lot of that when I lived in Hawaii (grew up there).

Believe me, you want something you can grab, collapse and run with. Something that collapses down to a small size so you can hike down to some hard to get places, yet has professional features.

Lugging around something big and clumsy, especially when your camera is hand size, is tiresome and can be potentially dangerous, especially when you do have to traverse down a steep embankment or cliff to a sacred surfing spot.

For what he wants to do, this is the best tripod for the job.
matt5791

Post by matt5791 »

The other thing to consider with the Beaulieu 4008 is the attachment to the tripod -

Whilst I actually like the silly handle (which looks like it was designed for a 5 year old) from a quirky sort of point of view, regardless of how tight you screw it down to the tripod head, it is still unstable.

Probably why many people remove it an position an on/off switch on the camera body.

Personally I like the camera to be in original condition, but I also like steady shots. I've decided to keep the handle though on mine and I'm just careful when using a tripod.
Birmingham UK.
http://www.wells-photography.co.uk
Avatar: Kenneth Moore (left) with producers (centre) discussing forthcoming film to be financed by my grandfather (right) C.1962