Your top 5 films?

This is a forum about filmmaking. No tech discussions here!
keagan

Post by keagan »

there's got to be a dozen 'top five' categories I could come up with. just off the top, SOME of my favorites

Brother Sun Sister Moon
The Mission
Beowulf and Grendel (the new Sturla Gunnarson)
Lone wolf and Cub
The Dreamers
Keagan
timdrage

Post by timdrage »

I forgot a new favorite! 8O

Masaaki Yuasa's Mind Game and his recent 13-episode series Kemonozume are at least a top five movies list's worth of greatness, and the latter isn't even a movie!

Also, a bonus top five fun horror/gore movies:
1. Evil Dead trilogy (counts as one choice because that's how they usually end up being watched! :))
2. Brain Dead
3. Story of Ricky
4. Street Trash
5. Reanimator
freddiesykes

Post by freddiesykes »

In no particular order:

- Last Tango in Paris
- The Conformist
- The Thin Red Line (1998)
- Ikiru
- Ran
- The Wild Bunch
- Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia
- Easy Rider
- Three Colours trilogy
- Blind Chance
- The Decalogue
- Ashes and Diamonds
- Nights of Cabiria
- Solaris
- Stalker
- The Mirror
- Apocalypse Now
- Hearts of Darkness
- Blade Runner
- Eraserhead
- Escape from New York
- Sonatine
- Paths of Glory
- Barry Lyndon
- Taxi Driver
- Salvador
- Platoon
- Born on the Fourth of July
- Under the Flag of the Rising Sun
- Yakuza Papers
- Y tu mamá también
- Ugetsu Monogatari
- The Spy Who Came in from the Cold
- Seizon

Ok this list is going on way too long.
mattias

Post by mattias »

Y tu mamá también
nooooo, this one you're gonna have to explain. you had a great list going. while not a bad movie it's ridiculously overrated in my opinion. admit that you just want to sleep with the girl, ok? ;-)

/matt
freddiesykes

Post by freddiesykes »

mattias wrote:
Y tu mamá también
nooooo, this one you're gonna have to explain. you had a great list going. while not a bad movie it's ridiculously overrated in my opinion. admit that you just want to sleep with the girl, ok? ;-)

/matt
Well, I wouldn't mind it. ;-) I don't mean to call it a classic or anything but I do think it is a well written, slickly shot film.

I like the movie so much because of how well I connect with it. I have a sort of fascination with Mexico and the whole road trip thing and I see myself in the two lead characters and I also sincerely believe that travelling (and the experiences that follow) is life-changing and I believe the film captures that mood perfectly.

On a side note, I made a similar list about 5 years ago and only about 2-3 of those would still be on a list of any length I would make today. I'm sure others have noticed the same...
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

freddiesykes wrote: I like the movie so much because of how well I connect with it. I have a sort of fascination with Mexico and the whole road trip thing and I see myself in the two lead characters and I also sincerely believe that travelling (and the experiences that follow) is life-changing and I believe the film captures that mood perfectly.
Yeah its also the only film than reminded me of what is was really like to be a teenager (as opposed to all that '10 things I Hate about You' pulp)

I grew up in Singapore, so I can connect with the whole spoilt metropolitan kid disconnected from the world around quite closely. Substitute Mexico's beaches for Thailand's and there you have it.
Last edited by npcoombs on Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

freddiesykes wrote: - Seizon
You mean Evan's short?! If so, how did you see it?
freddiesykes

Post by freddiesykes »

npcoombs wrote:
I was wondering when someone was gonna catch that! I just put it on there to bring more attention to it. You'd have to ask him when it is going to be released on dvd. I think he is shooting in Japan right now..
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

freddiesykes wrote:
npcoombs wrote:
I was wondering when someone was gonna catch that! I just put it on there to bring more attention to it. You'd have to ask him when it is going to be released on dvd. I think he is shooting in Japan right now..
As far as I know he finished the film a while ago and shot it all in Florida. At a reasonable price I'd be interested in the DVD too.
freddiesykes

Post by freddiesykes »

npcoombs wrote: As far as I know he finished the film a while ago and shot it all in Florida. At a reasonable price I'd be interested in the DVD too.
I meant that he is shooting a companion piece to Seizon in Japan right now. By the way, how much would you charge for a copy of your dvd with p&p?
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

I'm back from Japan and HK.
Yeah its also the only film than reminded me of what is was really like to be a teenager
All About Lily Chou-Chou was more successful at this, IMO, especially in terms of engaging with media culture. Neither film specifically resembles my own life, though, so maybe it's just my own preferences coming into play.

I like all the choices on freddie's list that I've seen.

Especially worthy: Ikiru, Ran, Decalogue, Ashes and Diamonds, Stalker, Sonatine, Under the Flag of the Rising Sun. These were all revelatory films when I first viewed them and remain incredibly relevant.

Some additions: Onibaba, Harakiri, The Silver Globe, Possession, Nobi (Fires on the Plain - Criterion DVD coming soon.)

Also, Criterion may be releasing The Emperor's Naked Army, an astonishing (I hear) documentary about a Japanese man's quest to expose appalling deeds at the end of the war.
ropbo

Post by ropbo »

Some movies that had a great impact on me were (sorry, couldn't list only 5):

Stalker - Tarkovsky
The Seventh Seal - Bergman
Winter Light - Bergman
Knife in the Water - Polanski
Werckmeister Harmonies - Bela Tarr

Road to Perdition - Sam Mendes
Titanic - Cameron (it may be considered a popcorn movie, but whatever, I loved it)
Mulholland Dr - Lynch
Forrest Gump - Zemeckis
Eraserhead - Lynch
Pi - Aronofsky

and more recently:

The Fountain - Aronofsky
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

Oh, I forgot. 'Seizon' will be available on DVD within a few months. I'm quite busy right now, but by April will have time to put together a nice package.
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

....sometimes you stumble into an old film that blows the mind. This is one of them. An amazing collaboration: Tennessee Williams, John Huston, Richard Burton.. The writing is so good and so meaningful. This film is on a par with any of the worlds greatest films..

Ghost Don't Walk

Post by Ghost Don't Walk »

I'll bite.

1. A Clockwork Orange
2. La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc
3. Solyaris
4. Paris, Texas
5. Ran