Latest timelapse with DV camera

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

johnnhud

Latest timelapse with DV camera

Post by johnnhud »

http://web.mac.com/johnnhud/iWeb/Site/C ... E7E2B.html

This timelapse was shot using the method that we discussed on this forum earlier this week. Namely hooking up a DV cam to iMovie and setting it to capture 1 frame every X seconds. I set this capture to capture 1 picture every 10 frames. Then I drove around my block while capturing right onto the MacBooks hard drive.

Ignore the text on the page of the link, it's not really relevent to the video that's posted...
anitasanger

Post by anitasanger »

really cool man. reminds me of the smashing pumpkins video 1979. really neat!
"when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -hst.
ccortez

Post by ccortez »

Ha -- that's what they call a "block" in Dallas. ;-)

Very cool, thanks for posting.
avr

Post by avr »

Very good.
I shot this timelapse with a Olympus E1 still camera

http://www.fo-video.com/video/timelapsestgo.mov
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

Amazing.. did you use some sort of controller/software? How did you achieve the slow zoom (done in post?)
avr

Post by avr »

Evan Kubota wrote:
Amazing.. did you use some sort of controller/software? How did you achieve the slow zoom (done in post?)
yes i used Olympus camedia Pro software, i linked PC and E1, each shot was stored in hard disk.
I use vegas Video software. I joine all the shots in a avi video and do in this software a "digital zoom" without lost of quality because each pic is very big (2560 x 1920 pix)
very easy
pinata2000

Post by pinata2000 »

nice work, it made me make race car sounds :lol:
peterson

Post by peterson »

It is nice and simple..you don´t really need to hook up the camera with a computer.
You can just shoot one hour "ride" and than grab the timelapse of it with the "timelapse capture function" that is offered in your editing sofware (premiere6 for example.
The adventages are that you dont need the computer on the "set" and you can also choose the interval between frame captures...this is very usefull_you can change the speed in the scene or just find the best frequency for capturing for all different timelapse purposes...nice function really...does anybody use it in here?
...another adventage is in saving your hard drive space. you dont need to capture the whole one hour take to speed it up...you just grab several frames .
oskar

Post by oskar »

AVR - great Timelapse !

Awesome and totally inspiring. The quality is super crisp and it looks really good. Usually I make all my timelapses with my 814XLS but this I have to try out with my Nikon D70.

Do you remember what kind of interval-time you had?

Nice job! Thanks for showing this for us.
avr

Post by avr »

oskar wrote:AVR - great Timelapse !

Awesome and totally inspiring. The quality is super crisp and it looks really good. Usually I make all my timelapses with my 814XLS but this I have to try out with my Nikon D70.

Do you remember what kind of interval-time you had?

Nice job! Thanks for showing this for us.
one frame per minute
johnnhud

Post by johnnhud »

peterson wrote:It is nice and simple..you don´t really need to hook up the camera with a computer.
You can just shoot one hour "ride" and than grab the timelapse of it with the "timelapse capture function" that is offered in your editing sofware
Thanks for the compliment! Yes, it's true, you can just shoot a tape and capture it to the computer using the method you outlined. However, this limits you to making projects that transpire in less than 60 or 90 minutes. A trip around the block would be fine, but the rising and setting of the sun would require multiple tapes and would cause problems.

Secondly, if your like me, you love to shoot footage, but you HATE capturing it. (Any faster than realtime capture methods out there?) This eliminates that step. Taking a 10 minute ride all over again while capturing from tape to the computer is just annoying. :x
johnnhud

Post by johnnhud »

avr wrote: one frame per minute
I have a small 2MP Canon S200 that can be controlled by the computer. Using a third party program like EZMacro you could set it up to take 1 picture at different intravles. I think it would run out of battery before an hour though. I take it that the camera you used was plugged into a powersource?
oskar

Post by oskar »

AVR - a brief question, if you may.

Does your camera have a "timelapse"-mode? I tried to search for one in my manual but didn´t find one.

Or did you use the software as a "controller"?