Suggestions for a Compact Super 8 Camera?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

super8film

Suggestions for a Compact Super 8 Camera?

Post by super8film »

Just curious if anyone has any recommendations for any smaller, compact S8 cameras. Granted, I realize that the smaller cameras may not have all of the bells and whistles, but I wouldn't mind looking for something that's compact and would be more ideal for vacationing and traveling.

Thanks!
CHAS

Re: Suggestions for a Compact Super 8 Camera?

Post by CHAS »

super8film wrote:Just curious if anyone has any recommendations for any smaller, compact S8 cameras. Granted, I realize that the smaller cameras may not have all of the bells and whistles, but I wouldn't mind looking for something that's compact and would be more ideal for vacationing and traveling.

Thanks!
Sorry I keep blabbing about this camera -- but it's fantastic -- Canon 814 AZ. Folding handle makes it ideal. Shoots at 18, 24 fps and has both auto and manual metering. Plus it's cheap - got mine in perfect condition for $55.00 on e-bay.
DrkAngl

Post by DrkAngl »

Minolta 401XL is not bad. It will not deliver an image as good as the Canon 814AZ, but is extremely compact and light (by comparison). Also has built in intervalometer for timelapse photography.
Taelon

Post by Taelon »

I have an Eumig mini 5, which is VERY compact but still has many of the essentials, including 9/18/24fps, daylight filter, power zoom, macro focusing, single-frame, backlight compensation and an exposure lock button (exposure is automatic but can be "frozen" with this button). Very nice camera indeed, and you can find it quite cheap.
sophocle

Post by sophocle »

The leicina with the 10mm will fit in ypur palm, and full featured it is.
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

Nizo S series... the folding handle makes them quite small and they are a lot lighter than something like an R10.
Elmogs

Post by Elmogs »

I agree with the Leicina Special with the 10mm Cinegon. Since I got it I seem never to use the 6-66 Optivaron. With the Cinegon it has a very small footprint. I have taken it to the Oregon Mountains, with me on the plane where I took it out and shot some ariel footage (thank you United Airlines). And once you get the footage back..wow. Super sharp and beautiful. I use to take the Canon 310Xl but I was always disappointed by the footage. The Leicina is great!
camera8mm

Post by camera8mm »

the bolex 350 macro compact is nice and compact.
Rollef

Post by Rollef »

I have an Eumig mini 5, which is VERY compact but still has many of the essentials, including 9/18/24fps, daylight filter, power zoom, macro focusing, single-frame, backlight compensation and an exposure lock button (exposure is automatic but can be "frozen" with this button). Very nice camera indeed, and you can find it quite cheap.
I would also like to mention the mini 3.
The inside and lens system is the same as the nautica, and it has got a zoom ring, no focus ring. It is fool proof and smaller than the mini 5. only 18 fps though.

And the chinon pocket 8 is cool but don't go looking for that one, as I want one for my self!.
Rick Palidwor

Post by Rick Palidwor »

Rollef wrote:

And the chinon pocket 8 is cool but don't go looking for that one, as I want one for my self!.
I have 3 of these Pocket Chinon's for sale. PM me if you are interested. I love the design. Very solid. Super small. Manual exposure control. Shoots 36 fps with the power pack ( I have one). There is a 4x zoom available (I have one). My favourite compact camera.

Rick
Rollef

Post by Rollef »

PM sent
aj

Post by aj »

The Canon AF310XL is as convenient as modern video (if that is recommendation). It looks modern but still there is no immediate review of images... The autofocus makes for sharp pictures in close quarters. The powerzoom however is almost useless as it only works when the film is running.

The Agfa Microflexes look smart and are very compact but a bit heavy. I believe these are Chinon OEM gear.

I also have a Rollei compact which looks nice and is very lightweight.
Kind regards,

André
jaxshooter

Post by jaxshooter »

I've seen the Leicina and the Beaulieu 4008ZM used with a 10mm lens.Both cameras become not only small and lightweight, they're very versatile too.
Marty Hamrick

Cinematographer

Windsor, Ontario
super8film

Post by super8film »

Thanks for the suggestions. I've seen some of the the Kodak Instamatic Hawkeye S8 cameras and noticed that they're probably the smallest S8 cameras I've seen, however they're fixed speed, fixed focal length, and from what I can tell, manual aperture. That said, some features like auto aperture and aperture lock would be helpful.
DrkAngl

Post by DrkAngl »

If you are looking at small Kodak cameras, the Minolta 401XL is probably right up your alley. It has manual exposure override and power zoom in additiona to being very small and light.