The worst trailer I have ever seen

This is a forum about filmmaking. No tech discussions here!
Blin

The worst trailer I have ever seen

Post by Blin »

This has to be the worst trailer I have ever seen:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/wtc/

My fellow work mates and I just spent the last 5 minutes laughing our heads off at this. This movie is about serious subject matter which is still sensitive to most of the western world. I find it appalling that Oliver Stone could make such a cheesy 80's-style action film out of it. This short trailer contains enough cliches for an entire feature. I wouldn't be surprised if the producers decided there should be a mandatory sex scene somewhere in this movie as well.

This is the kind of film that Team America:World Police made fun of.

Appalling.
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

I don't know. Obviously it was over-the-top, cheesy, and absurd, but by its very difference from the over-the-top, equally exploitative deference of something like 'United 93' in all of its foul, faux-documentary connotations, it seems somehow less offensive.

I wish someone literally made an '80s style action film from 9/11. Not out of disrespect, but out of sheer entertainment overkill... you know something is no longer painful when Hollywood can Arnoldize it.

Expecting 'serious' films from Hollywood is unrealistic, and to my mind the reason why 'United 93' is such a load of shit.
tlatosmd

Post by tlatosmd »

That's right, it's much too cheesy. It just seems to lack the monumentality and violent intenseness/immediateness such a thing probably has when happening. The time to cry is when it's all over, when it's happening it's something else. That trailer is like it would be a drama about a single death in the family due to cancer or something.

Anyway, I've heard they also made another film about 9/11 starring Sandra Bullock and someone else, two people falling in love with each other in the WTC on that day shortly before the plains crash into the buildings. I heard they didn't release that film because some people thought it would seem too offensive.
Last edited by tlatosmd on Fri May 26, 2006 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Mama don't take my Kodachrome away!" -
Paul Simon

Chosen tools of the trade:
Bauer S209XL, Revue Sound CS60AF, Canon 310XL

The Beatles split up in 1970; long live The Beatles!
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

After 9/11 Slavoj Zizek wrote an article called 'Welcome to the Desert of the Real'

Now we are welcomed back into the desert of fantasy.
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

Zizek is often a lot of hot air, but his article has a couple interesting (and true) points. I don't think this trailer is a return to fantasy as much as it is simply literalizing the 'irreality' of the actual events, which were experienced by most of the country as a TV spectacle, a Michael Bay special effect shot. Multiple camera angles and all. The only thing missing was the Dolby 5.1 mix...
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

Baudrillard on Abu Graib wrote:These scenes are the illustration of a power which, reaching its extreme point, no longer knows what to do with itself – a power henceforth without aim, without purpose, without a plausible enemy, and in total impunity. It is only capable of inflicting gratuitous humiliation and, as one knows, violence inflicted on others is after all only an expression of the violence inflicted on oneself. It only manages to humiliate itself, degrade itself and go back on its own word in a sort of unremitting perversity. The ignominy, the vileness is the ultimate symptom of a power that no longer knows what to do with itself.