"i love you" trailer and discussion

This is a forum about filmmaking. No tech discussions here!
mattias

Post by mattias »

keagan wrote:Can you talk about how this project developed? Did you write it yourself? was the $200 budget just self fronted? Were the actors friends of yours?
sure. i wrote the script last summer with the intention of finding a producer for my upcoming feature project, the idea was to try working together on something shorter to see if the chemistry was right. it worked and i'm now in contact with several producers for the future, but when it came to this particular story they were always too ambitious for me, talking about how to finance it properly and how to develop it further to make it "the kind of material that wins international awards" and so on. i just wanted to make it.

so i showed the script to the executive producer of my last short who's the head of a major production company and he said "great script. you gotta do this. right now. don't wait. you can borrow lights and an hdv camera from us and our post production people can help you finish it".

i found peter eggers by calling his agent actually, i had seen him in a few things and thought he would be perfect, and when she heard there was no money involved she gave me his cellphone number instead. you gotta love sweden. :-) freja lindström was in my last film so i guess yes she's a friend. they both loved the script so they agreed to do it on deferred payment. the crew was film students who worked for the experience and some close friends who i forced to help me. ;-)

the $200 was my own money.

/matt