What do you make fo these comments by John Pytlak

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Scotness

What do you make fo these comments by John Pytlak

Post by Scotness »

Kodak is investing in moving Super-8 production back to the USA, and new equipment is involved.
source

Very interesting - what can we expect? - better quality control?, greater positioning of Super 8 for the pro users?

Any thoughts

Scot
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
Angus

Post by Angus »

We're already seeing that Kodak is aiming super 8 squarely at pros, ignoring the home movie people. There is a general centralisation of Kodak's film production facilities, though I doubt quality control in the US would be any better than France. Maybe keeping fewer production sites will simplify things.

if they've invested in new machinery specifically for super 8, that is good news whether you shoot negative or reversal...
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
John_Pytlak

Post by John_Pytlak »

Angus wrote:We're already seeing that Kodak is aiming super 8 squarely at pros, ignoring the home movie people.
Although the use of Super-8 by professional filmmakers and film schools is the crux of the business case, the "home movie people" still benefit. If Kodak were ignoring "home movie people", I would not be trying to help filmmakers here.
John Pytlak
EI Customer Technical Services
Research Lab, Building 69
Eastman Kodak Company
Rochester, NY 14650-1922 USA
flatwood

Post by flatwood »

John_Pytlak wrote:.... I would not be trying to help filmmakers here.
And Im sure I am one of many who really appreciate your participation here.
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

John_Pytlak wrote:If Kodak were ignoring "home movie people", I would not be trying to help filmmakers here.
A) I didn't think you were here representing Kodak, John.

B) This forum doesn't really represent "home movie people".

Roger
Joe Gioielli

Post by Joe Gioielli »

Oh, bunches of us just do it out of love, we ain't all professionals. :D
Zevon forever!
John_Pytlak

Post by John_Pytlak »

MovieStuff wrote:
John_Pytlak wrote:If Kodak were ignoring "home movie people", I would not be trying to help filmmakers here.
A) I didn't think you were here representing Kodak, John.

B) This forum doesn't really represent "home movie people".

Roger
Certainly, although my opinions are mine, I represent Kodak in offering "Customer Technical Services" to answer questions about using Kodak products and processes. I also spend much of my own time here on evenings and weekends.

Many here are "home movie people", or at least don't consider themselves to be professional filmmakers.
John Pytlak
EI Customer Technical Services
Research Lab, Building 69
Eastman Kodak Company
Rochester, NY 14650-1922 USA
Mogzy

Post by Mogzy »

I have to say your assistance is much appreciated here.

Whether Kodak stocks are aimed at "home movie people" or semi-pro/ pro we must remember that super 8 is a niche market and as such it's amazing that it is still as well supported as it is.

I think we should all stop moaning and be thankful for what we've got. I speak as an enthusiast who has just got back his first roll of the new Ektachrome 64T. I am delighted with the results- greater colour saturation and sharpness than K40 with slightly more grain- marvellous! I can't see what the K40 luddites are complaining about.

More cameras than you would think can handle 64T - there are quite a few which accept speeds

"Daylight 25-100
Artificial Light 40-160"

Which actually include 64T/40D without actually mentioning it explicitly e.g. The Sankyo Super CM-400 and related series in the amateur market, and of course the Braun Nizos. Many are available cheaply on ebay.

Yes it's no longer process paid but it is E-6! In the UK and Germany "process paid" deals are available for little more than K40 cost anyway.

And remember...

- More stocks are available than ever before.
- New stocks are cut from professional stocks.
- In real terms it's cheaper than it was 20 years ago.
- The internet has saved the format.

SMILE! :D

Incidentally, just out of interest, will Kodak be offering "official" 100D in Super 8 any time soon?
Mitch Perkins

Post by Mitch Perkins »

Angus wrote:We're already seeing that Kodak is aiming super 8 squarely at pros, ignoring the home movie people.
If "the home movie people" didn't ignore Kodak 20 yrs ago, jumping like rats from the *not sinking* film ship into the water of video, we'd all be better off. Think about *that*, eh? ~:?)

Mitch
reflex

Post by reflex »

Mitch Perkins wrote:
If "the home movie people" didn't ignore Kodak 20 yrs ago, jumping like rats from the *not sinking* film ship into the water of video, we'd all be better off. Think about *that*, eh? ~:?)

Mitch
Convoluted sentence structure, dude. I almost don't understand whatever it is you're trying to say that people didn't do while jumping like rats from whatever they shouldn't have (or is that should have?) ignored. :wink:

For most "home movie" shooters, video does just fine. It's cheap, immediate, offers sync sound, and can be re-recorded. Just like digital photography.

And that's ok. :)
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
Mitch Perkins

Post by Mitch Perkins »

reflex wrote:
Mitch Perkins wrote:

Mitch
Convoluted sentence structure, dude. I almost don't understand whatever it is you're trying to say that people didn't do while jumping like rats from whatever they shouldn't have (or is that should have?) ignored. :wink:
"Almost" isn't not good enough, at least for, I don't think, me. =;?b
reflex wrote:For most "home movie" shooters, video does just fine. It's cheap, immediate, offers sync sound, and can be re-recorded. Just like digital photography.

And that's ok. :)
Yep. And easy to ignore, too. Always makes me chuckle, though, when folks "capture the moment", to view it about three seconds later! Now *that's* forgetful...

Mitch
adoyle

shiny happy super 8 future,comin home to the usa???? not

Post by adoyle »

lets not get to pent up with the exciting future ahead..
as the man said.. they say are methods are unsound?
well i do not see any method...
apart from reflex actions..
we are all equal in kodaks eyes...they do not give a shit about amateurs or pros,they certainly do not listen to any of the ideas put forward by the dwindling customer base!

maybe they mean the assorted kodak machines from around the world are going home,because they are worth a lot in scrap metal terms!
Angus

Post by Angus »

Mogzy wrote: Yes it's no longer process paid but it is E-6! In the UK and Germany "process paid" deals are available for little more than K40 cost anyway.
?????

Where the heck were you buying your K40?

The best deal now on 64T + processing is about 80% MORE than the best deal on K40 was.

Kodak is concentrating on the film schools and pros shooting super 8, because we home movie buffs are a dying breed. I don't deny that we benefit a little from the pros using super 8 - to the extent that it might not survive at all as a format without such use.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
kettuz

Post by kettuz »

Well, I have always bought my k40 at almost same price as Wittner offers E64T + processing... But then, I haven't been shooting S8 until 2004...
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Angus wrote:Kodak is concentrating on the film schools and pros shooting super 8, because we home movie buffs are a dying breed. I don't deny that we benefit a little from the pros using super 8 - to the extent that it might not survive at all as a format without such use.
Table scraps.

Film schools mostly shoot digital, from what I can tell. Those schools shooting film are shooting 16mm and not super 8. The "pros" that Kodak is catering to don't use super 8 because they think it looks good. They use it as an "effect" and the grainier and jumpier the better so that it will contrast with the larger formats of 16mm and 35mm they are using. We may demand better images but we're just "home movie people". :roll:

Roger