C'était un rendez-vous, Claude Lelouche, 1976

This is a forum about filmmaking. No tech discussions here!
Alex_W

C'était un rendez-vous, Claude Lelouche, 1976

Post by Alex_W »

I saw this film yesterday and it blew me away. A one take freak ride through the centre of Paris on a sunday morning with a perfect ending. There's a lot of nice controversy surrounding it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0169173/
We'll knock back a few, and talk about life, and what is right
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

I've seen this - quite cool. I don't remember it it was really one take or if it was edited from 2-3 takes.
timdrage

Post by timdrage »

It was really 1 take as far as i could tell. Audio is dubbed apparently, leading many people to argue about to the extent to which it's 'real', how fast he was really going etcc...

Pretty amazing/crazy piece of filmmaking anyway.
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

Was Lelouch himself driving?
Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

they're not sure. some say he did, some say it was a Formula 1 driver.
We'll knock back a few, and talk about life, and what is right
Taqi

Post by Taqi »

timdrage wrote:It was really 1 take as far as i could tell. Audio is dubbed apparently, leading many people to argue about to the extent to which it's 'real', how fast he was really going etcc...

Pretty amazing/crazy piece of filmmaking anyway.
Watch it with the sound off & mask off the road / road markings etc - the car is not travelling that fast, particularly in the first half - I would guesstimate 60 - 70 mph, which on those wide open parisian boulevards at dawn is not particularly mind blowing... I seem to recall that the title sequence to the film has some blurb about no camera tricks & not speeded up etc but doesn't say anything about the sound track - big clue there, that much of this film is an illusion. The latter parts of the film are truly scary though - tight streets, greasy cobbles etc.

Very effective film though, on previous discussions on this board some folks have got thoroughly lathered up over it (just what lelouch intended I suppose).
what what