Update on my project

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Alex_W

Update on my project

Post by Alex_W »

Wooooooooooh, i just got back from Supersens here in Amsterdam where we've scanned the negative on a Flashscan8. The film had been developed and ultrasonically cleaned on wednesday by Andec. The only thing i can say is: Vision is the f^%£ing bomb!! Even a shot from inside a bus with darkened windows on a cloudy day, to which the needle of the lightmeter dropped a couple of stops, contained more than enough information. The sharpness was great, which can also be contributed to my Beaulieu. The 2/3 stop underexposure resulted in a little loss of contrast, as predicted, but the images were more than acceptable. The files have been transferred to my external Lacie Extreme 2 harddisk, and are something like 80GB, that's for 22 carts.
I have to get everything up and running now, but i will try to post some clips in the next couple of days. If i wasn't poor before this, i certainly am now, but it was worth it.
We'll knock back a few, and talk about life, and what is right
mathis

Post by mathis »

Great news, I´m looking very forward to see the clips. Please post some short snippets in full DV resolution.
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

.....very cool. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with..

Steve
Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

I'm gonna find out how to get some nice clips for you guys, but not until my computer wizard friend comes tonight to tell me how. I'm at work now, so I can't do anything anyway. For now you'll have to do with this crappy divx example. It's not an actual scene from the short, but it's sort of the behind the scenes darling i have to kill. During the shoot in the forest there were marines practicing, so there was machinegun fire everywhere. Blanks ofcourse :) I loved the way these guys look over their shoulder to see who this crazy little guy is. The contrast looks worse than intended.

http://www.zippyvideos.com/514158329367 ... mariniers/
Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

A little Dutch light

flatwood

Post by flatwood »

Congratulations. Im excited for you and looking forward to hearing more and seeing more.
Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

I want to post a clip, but it's uncompressed and about 50mb. I don't have a server myself. What to do, what to do
tlatosmd

Post by tlatosmd »

No means to compress it to about 25MB? Even if it means to downsize to 320*240 for your sample?

With 10MB, you'd be able to leave it on http://www.putfile.com.
"Mama don't take my Kodachrome away!" -
Paul Simon

Chosen tools of the trade:
Bauer S209XL, Revue Sound CS60AF, Canon 310XL

The Beatles split up in 1970; long live The Beatles!
Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

I've finished a rough cut today, and all in all i'm very pleased with the results.

Here's a divx clip of about 7mb. If anyone wants to see it, but can't, tell me how i should code the file and i'll do it.

Please tell me what you think about the color, contrast, framing, editing etc. This is still more or less oncorrected footage.

http://media.putfile.com/scenebos
Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

the main character and his manly features

sooper8fan

Post by sooper8fan »

Alex, that footage looks great! Which negative stock were you using? I have 5 carts of 500T that I'm dying to try out. :)

A couple questions about the clip: the playback wasn't totally smooth and I'm just wondering if the clip was in slow-motion or if it just loks like that because of the playback.
Is there any sound? I didn't hear any.
Looks great though! Can't wait to see more.
photo site: http://www.zelophoto.com
photo blog: http://www.zelophotoblog.com
Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

Thanks Seth. The playback should go smooth, i'll look into that. As for sound, i haven't put the soundtrack to it yet, so that's right. I'm not sure what kind of sound i want to use. I shot with Vision2 200T, and i think it's a really great stock. The latitude is amazing and comes in handy if you're too stupid to set the asa dial to 125 because of the 85 filter, like me :)

edit: hmm, it plays smooth on my computer. i'll try another codec later.
ccortez

Post by ccortez »

Haven't watched the clip yet, but the still looks GREAT. 200T is the real deal. Congrats and good luck!
flatwood

Post by flatwood »

Nice, I feel like Im looking at Van Gogh colors.
aj

Re: ...

Post by aj »

Alex_W wrote:I want to post a clip, but it's uncompressed and about 50mb. I don't have a server myself. What to do, what to do
Ask/tell Supersens to host it? As a good customer (22 carts scanned) you are entitled to some extra service. He has plenty of samples on his website.

Be sure to be clear on 'auteursrechten en publicatierechten' (= copyrights in two parts) and timeframe. Don't sign off too easily.

Or host it at http://www.transip.nl
'voor een dubbeltje op de eerste rang' (= first rate at a dime)

Looks professional too with your own domainname. I.e alexw.nl No underscores :(
Kind regards,

André