64t clip

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Taliesin

64t clip

Post by Taliesin »

If anyone is interested ... here's a small clip of 64t using an 85b external filter.

http://members.cox.net/bradydag/64T%20test.wmv
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

Wow, looks fantastic. What camera, and how was it transferred? A little more grain than K40 but the colors are quite natural and nice. I like the lower-contrast look.
etimh

Post by etimh »

Yeah, looks really good. Thanks for posting Taliesin.

Tim
sooper8fan

Post by sooper8fan »

yeah, it looks great! please tell us more info (camera, etc.)
I can't wait to burn off my remaining K40 stock so I can get my hands of some 64T. Thanks for posting!
sooper8fan

Post by sooper8fan »

i just imported the clip into my NLE to see how it would look on the TV screen. Looks great! I did a little color adjusting on a couple of the clips (stop sign, street lines, fire hydrant) because they seemed just a tiny bit cool. It was seriously just a tiny bit, but I wanted to see if it would make any difference. Now I can't wait to get my 64T!
HTTK

Post by HTTK »

WOW it looks very very nice! I like the real color it gives off! Man this makes me want to buy up some 64T for my next short project! Thanks for posting the clips. Like the other posters before me have said, any more info on your camera used, settings, telecine ect. would be great! :wink:
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

The clip looks very good! Please tell us what camera you used!
I did some tests with a 64T cartridge two weeks ago, still waiting to get it back from processing. I used 4 cameras (2 of them could not read the ASA 64).

Klaus.
mathis

Post by mathis »

Looks very good. The strong compression definitely helps getting rid of the grain :lol:
Is there information about camera and transfer?
VideoFred

Post by VideoFred »

I agree it looks wonderful :lol:

I think this 64T is a better film for transfering than K40, because it has more detail in the dark parts.

Is this better 'lattitude'?

Fred.
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

Yes it is. Better lattitude.

Great footage with great lattitude compared to the K40. I always liked K40 as a holiday film, but I think this will be just as good if not better.

Andreas
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
romeojesus

Post by romeojesus »

did you use a deshaker or did the footage come out that rock solid registrationwise??
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Looks great!
Strange that the grain is particularly noticeable swarming in the first shot in the brickwork- it doesn't look nearly so bad in the other shots. Is that a colour or exposure thing do you think?

Mark
mattias

Post by mattias »

while it does have much more latitude it's still as contrasty, meaning you have to choose which part of the latitude to transfer. if you bring up the shadows you blow out the highlights and vice versa.

when we (me and kent) transferred my rolls we could go all the way in the brigtness setting in both directions and pick up more an more detail at one end and lose more in the other. one shot was a man in front of a bright window and while the film quite amazingly picked up both the outside which was five stops over or so and the details in the face, we had to choose a face against a blown out background or a silhouette against a window where you could see outside.

the difference is of course that with k40 you can't choose either but rather neither ;-) but i think neg will always be better for transfer, as long as you have the scanner to handle it.

/matt
Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

looking good!
We'll knock back a few, and talk about life, and what is right
VideoFred

Post by VideoFred »

mattias wrote:while it does have much more latitude it's still as contrasty, meaning you have to choose which part of the latitude to transfer. if you bring up the shadows you blow out the highlights and vice versa./matt
The old lattitude problem....
Even the Flashscan8 has to deal with it?!
Even with this very clever Ubricht sphere LED backlight?
It drives me nuts to find a good solution for this :roll:

At the Imaging Source they are experimenting with a BW camera with different electronic shutter speed for bright and dark pixels.
This could be a solution.

Double capturing is also a possible solution.
Kent and Matt, you should try this once....

HDR software could be a solution, too.

Fred.