Mythic Structures and Narrative Film

This is a forum about filmmaking. No tech discussions here!
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

...the thread that almost got away..

I agree that character and theme should come before structure. Character and theme are what color the story and structure is just a way of presenting.
Speaking of theme and character, I'm going to start another thread...

:D

Steve
HeathenClerk

Post by HeathenClerk »

I read this post today at work and went out and got the book (much like how I got the academic book on short films a few months ago then forgot to enter the conversation about it). I'm wary of reading it, I don't want formulaic writing to suddenly seize my subconscious, but I figure good or bad, it can't hurt to know about it-

Erik
Erik J. Weber
Seton 5 Vandalizms
Jersey Shore/Bronx
Film > Breathing
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

Hi Erik. Welcome to this discussion. You should be skeptical of the books. I am too. When you say short film book, I assume you are talking about "The Art of the Short Fiction Film" by Raskin.. (??) Did you get the Vogel book or the original Campbell book? They are all worth spending a bit of time with in my opinion, but they shouldn't be used as guide books. The Vogel book gave me some good insights into how mythic structures are used primarily in high concept movies.

I also like "On Film-Making" by Alexander Mackendrick
and also "Herzog on Herzog" an extensive interview with Paul Cronin

These last two books are more about the craft of filmmaking rather than the craft of screenwriting.

My current projects are all made without scripts (for better or worse), but I also have a story on the back burner that is destined for the 120 pg form.

Steve
HeathenClerk

Post by HeathenClerk »

Yes I got the Raskin book - I had read about half of the Campbell HWATF a few years back, but sort of got bored with it. For this convo I got the Vogel book, which is a bit easier to swallow. I've got a list of books as well, give me until tonight to post what has been good for me (definitely Making Movies by Sidney Lumet to start)-

Erik
Erik J. Weber
Seton 5 Vandalizms
Jersey Shore/Bronx
Film > Breathing