What's up with the jitter-thing?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Have you experienced jittering cartridges?

Poll ended at Tue May 14, 2002 12:57 pm

No
100%

Total votes: 4

S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

better now?

Post by S8 Booster »

Thanks, but it still does not look good in my iMAC X Explorer browser. This "page 3" never looked normal. 1& 2 are OK.

Check:

Better view.
Last edited by S8 Booster on Wed Jun 19, 2002 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Page 4

Post by S8 Booster »

Hey, page 4 works normally again!??
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
thomas

jittery

Post by thomas »

Christ. I thought it was one of my cameras dying.

Out of a lot of 20 or 30 some odd carts I bought from Kodak in mid/late 2001, I probably had half with very bad jitter problems. Looked like I was filming in an earthquake. *SIGH*
vidwerk

Post by vidwerk »

I am pleased to state that Kodak Canada has admitted to the jitter problem and is exchanging the 20 cartridges of super 8 film I purchased plus three free cartridges for my troubles. The corporate system can actually work sometimes to the benefit of the consumer.

Simon. :idea:
NickSavage3

super8 jitters

Post by NickSavage3 »

I just had 3 rolls of s8 kodachrome k40 processed that were shot summer 2002 and all had terrible jitters :cry: I believe the expiration date for these cartridges were around 2002 or 2003. Can anyone tell me which kodak office I should contact to get these replaced. I purchased them in Washington, DC.
Has anyone tried film lubricant or cleaner on these films to see if it helped? These images are irriplaceable. :|

thanks
JNSavage3@aol.com
David M. Leugers

cartridge woes

Post by David M. Leugers »

I just came back from Washington DC and shot six rolls of brand new (2004 date) Kodachrome S-8mm. I hate to say, but three of the cartridges made a lot of noise, and when I checked it out I found that the film was not advancing in the camera. It didn't really jam as if the film was not being taken up, but I could not get the film cartridge to work properly. I had two very reliable and previously checked cameras and neither one would work with the cartridges. I had brand new batteries in the Nikon and the Russian windup works smoothly as can be. I tried tensioning the takeup by hand and pushed down on the pressure pad and tried to advance the film. This worked briefly but the same problem came back very shortly. I have never, in 30 years of shooting S-8mm, had this kind of problem. Very disturbing. My first visit to DC and in the fall on a glorious day with Kodachrome to shoot... I might swear off cartridge film altogether. Anyone experienced this?
S8 Booster

Bad carts!

Post by S8 Booster »

What you describe is only the typical habit of the bad cartridges. I
bought 10 of them early this year and they all made very noticeable noise and one blocked repeatedly despite all trixes I tried. Finally I got it going but I did not allow my cam to work with this wrestling job.

They were all replaced for free by kodak and the new ones (The new batch numbered ones, (I think this is posted earlier on this tread?)) made my cameras run like 35mm Arriflexes. (Granted)

Also got the info from others using the Wind-up Kinoflexes/Quartzes that the "chewed" even the bad carts well so depite the bad noice your footage may come out well.

My bad carts all had notceble jitter (shot on an electric powered Canon 1014 XL-S and an Elmo 1012 S-XL)

If you have the"wrong" serial number you should get new replacement carts for free from Kodak.

The new (good) ones are a dream come true. Smooth as an oiled eel.

R
S8 Booster

Post by S8 Booster »

This was posted earlier and lists the "good" cart series:

Quote:
Posted by
> Scot McPhie I've just got off the phone from the Kodak
> rep I've been dealing with here and he's just received
> confirmation from his technical services manager that
> Kodak in France have admitted to the problem - I think
> they said it was a minor but unacceptable variation in
> image quality - caused by the faulty manufacturing of
> a disc used in the cartridge.
> This has been looked into by them and all cartridges
> numbered 3631 7768 onwards should be free of this
> problem.
> Because there was an official (internal) statement by
> them admitting to the problem I'm also eligible for a
> refund - so will be getting my 40 odd faulty
> cartridges refunded.
> Hope this info helps!
> Scot M
> http://www.mango-a-gogo.com/inmyimage/image.htm

jitters-blurring

Post by Guest »

I'm new here, but am glad I finally made it as I was about to send my Chinon 806 SM in for servicing. I also had problems with the film advancing. I shot for almost 4 minutes (Plus_X) as I just bought the camera and I wanted to test it. The Film counter moved as it should have. However when I took what I thought was a fully exposed reel, I found that it wasn't finished. I put it back in and shot what was to be the last 30 seconds or so. When I viewed the film I could see that those last 30 seconds were really "blurry," to describe it further, it was as if there were 2 layers of the same shot, slightly blurred and also offset!

Does this sound like the jitter problem? I've tried to view the MPEG examples, but can't get them to display. Perhaps I still need to get my camera looked at, but wanted to post first.

Sorry if this topic has been worn, but as I said, I just found the forum.

Thanks in advance. And Happy New Year!

Post by Guest »

Hi NewB.

I would recommend you to check or replace your batteries first.
Might be a bad cartridge too but check the battery frist.
Also check the good/bad cartridge numbers posted earlier in this topic.

R
booper

guest follow up

Post by booper »

Hello,
I'm the Guest (with the Chinon 2 posts up). Thanks for the response. The batteries are new Duracell's and the tester says OK.

The K-40 film # I have is:
Should I try to get my money back as they are before the "good" numbers?

The Plus-X I have is:
208/925 1437

The Plus-X was the type of film I was get that blurry (possibly jittery) look with, but there numbers don't seem close to the numbers sited above? I have 6 rolls of the Plus-X, so I'd like to know if I should return it before paying to develop what may be bad film.
Thanks
S8 Booster

Re: guest follow up

Post by S8 Booster »

booper wrote:Hello,
I'm the Guest (with the Chinon 2 posts up). Thanks for the response. The batteries are new Duracell's and the tester says OK.

The K-40 film # I have is:
Should I try to get my money back as they are before the "good" numbers?

The Plus-X I have is:
208/925 1437

The Plus-X was the type of film I was get that blurry (possibly jittery) look with, but there numbers don't seem close to the numbers sited above? I have 6 rolls of the Plus-X, so I'd like to know if I should return it before paying to develop what may be bad film.
Thanks
Since your carts serieal numbers are below the confirmed "good" carts you are supposed to get the bad carts replaced for free by Kodak ad keep the old stuff as well. Info on this should be available earlier in this topic.

Also check this info:
http://www.8mm.filmshooting.com/scripts ... =%2Arub%2A

r (it was me on non log)
booper

replace?

Post by booper »

Just to let you know, Kodak is going to replace the film that I have, but they want the unused back. I live in the US. I know there was one post that said that you could keep the old film.
Thanks
AziTheGreat

Post by AziTheGreat »

I'm a student filmmaker, about to embark on my first film project using Super 8. Today I went to the camera shop, thoroughly excited about buying the three carts of K40 that I'd need. I'd shot some Tri-X before on family vacations, but this was different. Very exciting.

The problem, however, is that I have become very wary of the jittering problem some people have experienced. For reasons of cost and time, I'm not going to be able to reshoot anything if there is a significant problem, and I want to reduce as many variables as possible.

All of the carts are marked as expiring in 03/2004. Two of the carts are batch number 3631 9596 and one is 3631 0763. From what I've read, the 3631 9596 is in the range of "good" numbers and the 3631 0763 is not. Does anyone have any advice or experience they could offer me here? Should I call Kodak, or try to return the cart with the bad number? Or is it safe to just go ahead and shoot?
eggart

Post by eggart »

I don't know if this has been completely resolved or not, I've just bought 2 carts of Tri-X from Kodak. The number on the cartridges are V106 and V2.6 but the numbers on the label are 79726 and 79716. I can't find the eight-digit numbers. Should my cartridges be alright?