photographer's rights in spain

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

natxo

Post by natxo »

Blue Audio Visual wrote:What about the point I made earlier where I quoted some Spanish law???

"Las obras situadas permanentemente en parques, calles, plazas u otras vías públicas pueden ser reproducidas, distribuidas y comunicadas libremente por medio de pinturas, dibujos, fotografías y procedimientos audiovisuales."

What is the relevance of this legislation in regard to your point above?

Bart
My experience is that, if you making a commercial production where there´s a clear presence of a special building, better ask for permissions. This law only appoints at public artworks in parks and streets.
mattias

Post by mattias »

for the record i'm not making a commercial but a narrative feature. the reason i used the word commercial is because the it's often used to distinguish people working professionally from i.e. tourist photographers.

/matt
MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 »

mattias wrote:
aj wrote:This is very much the same all over the world.
actually it isn't.
You cannot portrait or make average people the main subject and publish without their agreement
in many countries you can. such as sweden and the uk. it's recommended to get a release because most publishers and broadcasters want it, but the law doesn't require it. here's my source btw.
Sure in Spain you can. Spanish tv is full of silly programmes with paparazzis and cameramen following and running behind famous people in the streets and public places (of course without agreement and being the main subject) , who claim the laws on this to change but with no result to the date.
Muckymuck

Post by Muckymuck »

Better check Spain's anti-terrorism legislation. In the UK police can seize just about anything without even "reasonable" suspicion if it is in a designated area in which the police have been given that power.

Someone I know once photographed a group of religious fanatics campaigning outside the place of worship of another religion. One of the fanatics protested and tried to take the camera. Police were called and the photographer's film was seized under "anti terrorism legislation" only to be developed and returned (including the offending pictures) by the police. Funny old world!

This isn't an EU wide thing, it's UK specific, so I would imagine that any similar issue which may or may not arise in Spain would also be a matter for national legislation. That said, the UK seems to be more draconian than other EU states about many things- e.g. the UK has more surveillance cameras in public places than the rest of the EU put together and has opted out of a number of European Convention on Human Rights provisions.