What's up with the jitter-thing?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Have you experienced jittering cartridges?

Poll ended at Tue May 14, 2002 12:57 pm

No
100%

Total votes: 4

MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

The thing that everyone needs to remember is that the date on the carts means nothing as it refers to the film inside and not the cart itself, which is what causes the problem. You can have new film in an old cart. The new (and supposedly fixed) carts have a smooth skin while the older carts have a textured skin. We really need to notate the type of cart as well as the expiration date. If people are still getting jumpy footage from the smooth skin carts, then that means the problem has not be solved at all and that Kodak is pulling out collective legs. If everyone shooting new footage will make a notation of the cart type (smooth vs textured) then perhaps we can gather some quantifying data on the jitter issue. Otherwise, we will continue to talk about dates which mean nothing since it refers only to the film inside.

Roger
jessh

Post by jessh »

Can you explain more in detail how to tell the new smooth carts from the textured? I also noticed on the K40 cart I am shooting right now it has v2.4 imprinted on it, in the bottom indetntion part (if that makes any sense) and the top one says B. Could the v2.4 by any chance be a version of the cartridge and help determine which are the new ones? I would like to know if this cart is one of the older ones, I also just got some film in the mail from kodak and would like to make sure its good.

Thanks,
Jess
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

K40: Good cart numbers

Post by S8 Booster »

This was posted earlier and lists the "good" cart series:
Posted by
> Scot McPhie I've just got off the phone from the Kodak
> rep I've been dealing with here and he's just received
> confirmation from his technical services manager that
> Kodak in France have admitted to the problem - I think
> they said it was a minor but unacceptable variation in
> image quality - caused by the faulty manufacturing of
> a disc used in the cartridge.
> This has been looked into by them and all cartridges
> numbered 3631 7768 onwards should be free of this
> problem.

> Because there was an official (internal) statement by
> them admitting to the problem I'm also eligible for a
> refund - so will be getting my 40 odd faulty
> cartridges refunded.
> Hope this info helps!
> Scot M
> http://www.mango-a-gogo.com/inmyimage/image.htm
Last edited by S8 Booster on Mon Jun 17, 2002 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
Manuel

Well, this is just getting worse!

Post by Manuel »

I was freaking out on the set today. Here I am, three days and $1,500 dollars into my production and I've got jamming cartridges! I had one refuse to even budge in my camera today. To follow up on Roger's comment, ALL my Plus-X cartridges are textured, none are smooth. I just bought these carts, so if it's true that the textured ones are the problem, then Kodak is STILL selling them, because I bought these DIRECT from Kodak.com which shipped them to me from their Rochester facility on 6/3/02!

So whom at Kodak do I speak to for reimbursement? Not just for bad film...but my light and grip and dolly rentals as well?

Fuming...

-Manuel (manahoo@yahoo.com)
jessh

Re: K40: Good cart numbers

Post by jessh »

S8 Booster wrote:This was posted earlier and lists the "good" cart series and onward:
Posted by
> Scot McPhie
> This has been looked into by them and all cartridges
> numbered 3631 7768 onwards should be free of this
> problem.
I am in luck, the carts I just got in from Kodak are 3631 7769, just barely :-) What about Plus-X and Tri-X these seem to have different numbering... Anyone know about how to tell for them?

~Jess
MovieStuff

Re: K40: Good cart numbers

Post by MovieStuff »

jessh wrote: I am in luck, the carts I just got in from Kodak are 3631 7769, just barely :-) What about Plus-X and Tri-X these seem to have different numbering... Anyone know about how to tell for them?
Well, again, we really don't know if the numbers mean ANYthing. The only way to know if you have one of the new carts is by the physical characteristics. The new ones have a smooth plastic finish and the older ones have a textured finish. I would say that even if you have the right numbers, if the outer skin is textured, then chances are that the cart is suspect and more than likely bad.

So far, based on people I've talked to that have sent film in for transfer, the only carts that seem to be trouble free (when they remember to look) are the newer ones which have the smooth outer skin. These were supposedly manufactured correctly but, then again, we really need people to LOOK at their carts before shooting and make a notation of the results. The numbers mean nothing because they refer to the film inside, which has NOTHING to do with jamming.

Unless people start making a concerted effort to notate the cart type and the results, we may never know if it's safe to go back in the water. At this point, we still have too many people hung up on the stupid numbers which refer only to the film; not the cart construction. Again, it is the cart construction that makes the film jam, not the film itself. The numbers do not refer to the cart. Look at the outer skin; that's the only way to tell, regardless of what Kodak says about the numbers.

Roger
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Texture

Post by S8 Booster »

With all respect Roger, the texture says nothing in my case. I examined an old (bad - jammed) and a new (smooth running - good numbers) cartridge and the texture is exactly the same (visually identified).

However, the good one runs smooth like a well lubricated sewing machine. Consistent sound.

The cart outside "feels" very different like as if the good one is lubricated on the outside and the bad one is not. The good one feels very smooth by touching (slippy) but the plastic & texture seems identical. The old one feels "dry" by touching.

The bad ones grinds and jerks and makes all sorts of funny noises.

My suggestion to check the K40:
Check the good numbers.
Check the mechanical noise, should be consistent, smooth running.

For other "K" films without "good numbers" reference:
Check the mechanical sound, should be consistent, smooth running
Should feel "slippy" not "dry" by touching.

I mean really smooth, even noise.
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
S8 Booster

Different texture?

Post by S8 Booster »

What is the difference?

Anybody tell me?
Last edited by S8 Booster on Tue Jun 18, 2002 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jessh

Post by jessh »

Could you tell me what it says in the bottom right corner of each of these cartridges? should be something along the lines of V2.4 and the top right might say B.

Thanks,
~Jess
S8 Booster

K40 detail

Post by S8 Booster »

Check:

Top detail says "B" for both bad and good cart.

Bad cart:
Lower detail on defective cart reads "V105"

Good Cart:
Lower detail on good cart reads "V106"
Last edited by S8 Booster on Tue Jun 18, 2002 5:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Manuel

Textured cartridges

Post by Manuel »

I suspect that Roger is right, I've had both good and bad results with the textured cartridges, so it really means nothing to any of us out here in the field. I can hold up two identical-looking textured carts as well: one was good and the other was bad...so what? At this point it only means that not ALL the cartridges in the production run were faulty. Based on what I am reading in these posts, there seems to be no way based on numbers, stamps or other identifying tags on the cartridges to tell if it is going to fail.

Well, if its the smooth cartridges that correct the problem, it seems pretty straightforward...if only I could get my hands on some smooth cartridges. I keep getting textured ones from Rochester. Just to be sure, I am recording ALL the data and cartridge style information on every roll I send in for processing, so I can have some useful data to report.

-Manuel
cheung

Post by cheung »

This has been looked into by them and all cartridges
numbered 3631 7768 onwards should be free of this
problem.
8O I was so "lucky" to have bought 20 cartridges numbered 3631 7768 !
I had shot one roll. It came back allright.
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

:!: S8Booster: Remember max 500 pixels horisontally for images. These are 506 and as you see the frame-line is broken...
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
S8 Booster

500 pix

Post by S8 Booster »

Hi Andreas, I formatted the picture in 500 pix exact with adobe premiere to not cause the problem. Actually it was broken before I posted the picture. Anyway, I can edit it and put in the small picture to see if that helps.

With my browser the frameline was broken since page 3 popped up.

Edited, see, no difference. Seen this before even when no pictures were linked onto the page.

regards,
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Re: 500 pix

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

S8 Booster wrote:Edited, see, no difference. Seen this before even when no pictures were linked onto the page.
Hi Vidar!
Things look good now. Atleast on my computer. Did you make sure to do a real reload of the pages in your browser? shift+refresh or ctrl+r?

Anyway, 500pixels is the maximum size - if it's 506 it's too large. :D

Take care - and keep on posting!
/Andreas
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations