Ferrania hope to start film manufacture in 2014

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

freddenacka

Re: Ferrania hope to start film manufacture in 2014

Post by freddenacka »

I have ordered 3 double super 8, 4 spolls of super 8 without cartage and one spool of 16mm. Will come back as soon as I have tryed it.
I was only alowed to order 5 peaces, hope they have beter ability later.
Totaly 150 euros ink shipping to sweden

http://www.kahlfilm.de/content.php?nav=89
aj

Post by aj »

freddenacka wrote:I have ordered 3 double super 8, 4 spolls of super 8 without cartage and one spool of 16mm. Will come back as soon as I have tryed it.
I was only alowed to order 5 peaces, hope they have beter ability later.
Totaly 150 euros ink shipping to sweden

http://www.kahlfilm.de/content.php?nav=89
It is the old supply from the nineties. Still good fun for projection but the Super-8 requires skilled workers as the film must be loaded into old empty ones or Kaccema reloadables.

The question is if they are clearing stock to prepare for new delivery? We should hope so.

Is Kahl under new management, seems everything is so much more cheerful.
Kind regards,

André
freddenacka

Post by freddenacka »

I know it is old but for that price i think it would be nice to try.
I will test to use the super 8 ones in respooled singel 8.
aj

Post by aj »

I am interested in purchasing some rolls too.
Should be good. I expose routinely fleamarket finds who are outdated too and were not kept so securely :)

I suppose they have kept it in a safe and cool place and I assume it is the raw material which was used to 'make' Kahl chrome.
Kind regards,

André
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

Since Kodak isn't making color reversal anymore, I wonder if the technology would be easily available for Ferrania to pick up where they left off?
Reborn member since Sept 2003
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

Regarding Super 8 cartridges. New and unused Super 8 cartridges are available from Kodak. The cost is $3.00 each and minimum quantity is 168. Cat # is 154 8759. There is no need to use used carts or kaccema carts. For commercial purposes I don't believe using the Kaccema or used carts is viable because the quality would not meet commercial standards. Wittner, Pro8 and Spectra use the new Kodak carts. I know that both Pro8 and Spectra tried the Kaccema carts and had a unacceptable failure rate. The unofficial word from Kodak is that they will discontinue the cat# sometime in the future. My guess is about the time they discontinue Super 8 production. J.S.
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

It sounds like Ferrania had some problems recently. Hence the writer of this text says that he doesn't expect the slide-film (ferrania's first product) before the end of 2014. He even expects further delays:
http://www.aphog.de/forum/viewtopic.php ... ia#p272643
This space was left intenionally blank.
freddenacka

Post by freddenacka »

Hum hope they get them soon!
I have developed my first super double 8 old stock from them now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kontrabass888

Post by kontrabass888 »

Well, who will open a new factory to produce new movie films for less than 10000 amateur clients? (maybe even less)
beaunizo

Post by beaunizo »

kontrabass888 wrote:Well, who will open a new factory to produce new movie films for less than 10000 amateur clients? (maybe even less)
Well, maybe/hopefully Super-8 users are around 10.000
Still photographers, classic and lomo, are far more plentiful.
Now selling in classifieds:
New-old-stock classic ciné projector bulbs
CIR Catozzo Splicers and tape S8
Beaulieu Nizo accessoiries/parts
Daylight 8/8 CINÉ processing tank Superior bulk film
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I think the idea would be to spurn new life in the format...and bring in new users. Hopefully, the 10,000 would produce work that would make video producers jealous and want them to try film production for the "elusive film look" .
James E
Location: Houston, TX. Portland, OR. Playa Del Carmen, Quitana Roo, MX. ELgin, TX

Post by James E »

Tommy wrote:I think the idea would be to spurn new life in the format...and bring in new users. Hopefully, the 10,000 would produce work that would make video producers jealous and want them to try film production for the "elusive film look" .
Now here is an area where millions of hipsters everywhere can help! I still own a home in the Hathorne District of Portland, OR. Now known as hipster hell to anyone born before 1980. I'm happy to stump for the cause there and in Austin only 3 hrs from current home base in Houston. (The unhippest city in USA ;p ) If we share our passion for film with our kids and other young folk, it will live on.
Cheers,

P.S. Finally put a little content on my blog. Much more to come. There will be a lot about shooting film.
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.
kontrabass888

Post by kontrabass888 »

1)Ferrenia can only start to earn money, when all users have no other choice than Ferrenia. Because their film had never been the best choice in the market. As I know , they were one of the last choice.
2)But all other film brands are not going to disappear in one day. So they will leave the market slowly after close dwon the factories., and of cause, the film users, dealers, will leave the film market slowly as well.
3)One day, when Ferrenia become the only choice of the film market, there will be no market any more...
JeremyC

Post by JeremyC »

A friend of mine who shoots film passionately made the observation to me that if Ferrania are serious about getting anywhere they are going to have to pull their finger out and get film to the market sooner than later to be successful. His reason for saying this is that, like many people, he is gloomy that Kodak will end Super 8 production and once this happens many people will consider Super 8 to be finished so to counter this outlook Ferrania will need to have already established themselves as an alternative Super 8 supplier well before Kodak pulls out. Saying that you are coming to the market is no substitute to actually being in the market.

I am not being down on Ferrania, they have a very difficult job of trying to get a product to market with all the funding, production start up and knowledge retrieval issues associated with starting up but I wouldn't want Ferrania to be stymied by the effect of Kodak pulling out, if Kodak does pull out.
BAC

Post by BAC »

As far as I'm concerned Kodak pulled out when they stopped making color reversal film (100D). Some of us love our old projectors and will be happy to use whatever products are available. Right now nobody really knows what their product will be like, some people liked the look of Ferrania film. I will miss 100D when my stockpile runs out but I won't stop shooting film until I can't get it anymore.