No More E64T?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

mattias

Post by mattias »

Jim Carlile wrote:Unfortunately, it's not that easy. Many cameras will read this as ASA 160, which is 2/3 stop underexposed.
most of them will work if you set them to daylight manually as far as i understand, the lack of a notch will prevent the filter from being engaged while the meter is reset accordingly. the cameras that are definitely not compatible are usually crap anyway. buy a high end nizo or canon from ebay for $50 and you're set. 100d is the third most compatible film speed there is, what more can you ask when there are no 40 or 160 asa tungsten stocks in production anymore.

/matt
Jim Carlile

Post by Jim Carlile »

Again, you're right...since most people who use this stuff have better cameras it's not much of an issue-- but it's confusing for people who are just starting out. There are some good 40/160 cameras out there-- like the Elmos-- but the only way they can be used is manually. I think they're still worthwhile to have around.
Angus

Post by Angus »

Many of the 40/160 cameras can read 100D correctly. It is certainly more compatible than 64T.

I think my Nizo S561 underexposes 100D but it sitll comes out fine. Remember everyone apart form Jim knows that reversal responds better to under rather than over exposure.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
eightmm

Post by eightmm »

Angus, concerning your Nizo: you When your shooting 100D with the Nizo 561, be sure to have your filter switch set to daylight or it will be exposed 2/3 under at 160ASA. The filter itself will still be disabled by the cart, but setting the switch on daylight (sun) will give the 100ASA rating. The Nizos are a tad different like that.
eightmm

Post by eightmm »

[edit] Sorry, forgot to quote Tscan with this original message last August about setting the Nizo correctly for 100D...

Regards, Paul
MusicConductor

Post by MusicConductor »

[quote="Will2"]
Also, a higher speed 400D would give you 125asa with an 80A filter.
[/quote]

Will meant 250ASA, yes? (even better, if faster=better)
Will2

Post by Will2 »

MusicConductor wrote:
Will2 wrote: Also, a higher speed 400D would give you 125asa with an 80A filter.
Will meant 250ASA, yes? (even better, if faster=better)
Actually according to Fuji's specs, with an 80A the film would give you 125asa. You might be thinking of the filter going from Tungsten to Daylight which doesn't cut the light as much as Daylight to Tungsten.

That 80A filter sucks alot of light.
MusicConductor

Post by MusicConductor »

I've had an 80A for years and never quite found the need to use it, but assumed that it was the same 2/3rds stop as with converting daylight to tungsten film. Wow, what a difference. Thanks for the clarification, Will.
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

Hopefully they are running out the product on E64T and will replace it with 100D. I just got some of both back, transferred and projected. Another amazing looking batch for the 100D, Autumn has never looked so good on film. (fresh and correctly notched from Spectra) It also transfers a lot better than any other reversal I have worked with, will post some stills soon. The E64T looked like total crap by comparison, even my closeup tungston shots. People should stop worrying about how many cameras will read 100D correctly and just shoot it.
100D and Vision 3 please
aj

Post by aj »

It is all a bit theoretical. There is no news E64T is actually being replaced.

Seems a bit unlikely too so soon and with all the effort which Kodak put into it.
Kind regards,

André
marc

Post by marc »

T-Scan wrote:Hopefully they are running out the product on E64T and will replace it with 100D. .
aj wrote:It is all a bit theoretical. There is no news E64T is actually being replaced.

Seems a bit unlikely too so soon and with all the effort which Kodak put into it.
That may be the way Kodak operates with regards to Super 8: They have this old stock in frozen storage that they have to liquidate to break even if not make at least some profit off of ( remember 125T) so they stuff it in a Super 8 cart lowering their cost and raising their profit margin. So, for those that do like a certain stock, you get hooked only to have it taken away once the old inventory runs out. Good thing that there is only a minority here that actually like 64T!
Jim Carlile

Post by Jim Carlile »

EPR is being discontinued, and it's a daylight stock, not tungsten.

Here's how Kodak works: they coat a ton of stuff, then they stop. They freeze and store it. Then they coat some more, as they draw down their stocks. When they decide to stop producing a certain type of film, they don't announce it, they just draw down what they have. Film manufacturing of a specific type could have been discontinued years before any announcement.

When Kodak's stocks are close to being depleted, that's when they announce discontinuation.

One thing that concerns me is the recent dynamiting of most of their Rochester coating plants, and the fact that the coating people were working extra shifts last year, coating up a storm. I suspect that many of their films have ceased being manufactured--and that they are drawing down their inventories. The question is-- which ones?
aj

Post by aj »

Didn't someone from Kodak report that they sell more cine-film than ever? 16mm and 35mm of course but handling S8 along side isn't that more demanding.

Most of the info posted here assumes (USA-habbit) conspiracy by Kodak against their own customers and their own business.
Kind regards,

André
RichardB

Post by RichardB »

Jim Carlile wrote:One thing that concerns me is the recent dynamiting of most of their Rochester coating plants, and the fact that the coating people were working extra shifts last year, coating up a storm. I suspect that many of their films have ceased being manufactured--and that they are drawing down their inventories. The question is-- which ones?
Since they're bringing out Vision 3, that was probably the Vision 2 stocks.
super-8-epiphany

Re: No More E64T?

Post by super-8-epiphany »

[quote="cubdukat"]I saw on Photo.net's forum that Kodak is allegedly killing off Ektachrome 64T in 35mm, so I would think that Super-8 will be out as well.
quote]

things need to change in the Super 8 hobby- or else there will be no hobby soon. The old carts I've been shooting up, have $1 and $3 prices on them. They need to get prices of film for new carts down around $5-6 each- otherwise no one is going to continue doing this.

when the entry level becomes $30 to shoot 3.3 minutes of film, it becomes unaffordable for the average guy. We complain about $3 or $5 a gallon gas- when shooting film is $10 for one minute.
one of these days, I have to get this old film developed...