What's up with the jitter-thing?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Have you experienced jittering cartridges?

Poll ended at Tue May 14, 2002 12:57 pm

No
100%

Total votes: 4

vidwerk

Post by vidwerk »

Because of this wide spread jitter problem, is Kodak willing to refund money or replace cartridges because of their defective nature? And if so, how are they to deal with refunding or replacing on film that has already been exposed and/or developed? :idea:
danny

Post by danny »

I've recently bought a couple of K40 rolls with exp. date 03/2004, have shot 2, so far it's OK, no funny noise. Could it be the camera that causes all the jams and jitters?
ulrichsd

Post by ulrichsd »

I think that certain cameras can deal with the defective cartridges better than others. When I ran some defective carts through my Canon 1014E it made an awful strobing sound when filming but the image wasn't noticeably affected. However my Nizo 4080 did produce a jittering image with the same cart.

Scott
CHAS

Post by CHAS »

I can't recall if I wrote this on another post but we shot 23 rolls on a Nizo 6080, using recently bought K40 stock and only one roll acted up...you are right, it does sound like a blender!
supa_ate_sixteen

Post by supa_ate_sixteen »

Hey there~

I was using a Nizo 6080 for my short film project as well and yes I did experience about 5-8 rolls out of 30 that ran rough through the camera jittery. Yes, at many times these rolls did sound extremely loud in the camera, similar to blending a fruit smoothie in the film chamber itself. These bad K40 rolls make me want to Barney my camera at times, even though the Nizo 6080 is one of the quietest cameras on the market today. Beware of the the 2003 expiration date Super 8 cartridges!
Kublip

11/2002

Post by Kublip »

Anyone have problems with 11/2002 expiration date? I have two rolls of K-40 w/ 11/2002, and one Tri-X, date I'm not sure of. Just wondering. They're probably being processed right now.
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Examples

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

Just posted some jitter examples. See here:

http://www.8mm.filmshooting.com/communi ... tering.php
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

ulrichsd wrote:I think that certain cameras can deal with the defective cartridges better than others. When I ran some defective carts through my Canon 1014E it made an awful strobing sound when filming but the image wasn't noticeably affected. However my Nizo 4080 did produce a jittering image with the same cart.
I think you may be right about this. My Nizo Braun Integral 5 screwed up some films (see the examples), but then my Beaulieu 4008zmII seemed to have shot the same types of films without flicker. Also, a customer of mine has had major problems with a Beaulieu 6008Pro camera. I've also had some big problems with a Chinon 60smr XL pacific.

On the other hand, this might be a complete coincident.
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
vidwerk

Post by vidwerk »

My boxed super 8 cartridges(7240) don't appear to have any expiry date printed on them, just a series of numeric digits that don't even come close to resembling a date. :idea:

Post by Guest »

ulrichsd wrote:I think that certain cameras can deal with the defective cartridges better than others. When I ran some defective carts through my Canon 1014E it made an awful strobing sound when filming but the image wasn't noticeably affected. However my Nizo 4080 did produce a jittering image with the same cart.

Scott
perfect example of how nobody beats canon in quality. NOBODY!
Static 8

Post by Static 8 »

Almoust. It's Video News Film I belive. (?)

About the jitter issue... I had my firts cartridge problem (K40) in summer 1999. While shooting, the camera made a nasty, loud rattling noise. I thought my camera was dieing, 'cos I had used it a lot (Sankyo LXL-255). Result was that the image jumped up 'n' down and parts of some frames were exposured twice.
And the camera still works great btw :)
New year 1999/2000 one K40 cartridge blocked totally after few seconds. I tried to turn it with my fingers but it was stuck. I did not try the Pedro's "beating method", I just loaded a new film and forgot that one for a month... When I recived it back from Lousanne, there was a small pink note with the film:

KODAK PHOTO SERVICE SA CH-1020 RENENS
Dear Customer
The film has been damaged while passing through the camera. Due to the resulting creases, the film had to be prepared with special care before processing.

Spring 2001-spring 2002 I've shot some Plus-X and Tri-x that were good as it should be, some good Kodachromes as well, but also 6 or 7 bad ones.

I'm gonna shoot some Plus-x tomorrow and I hope they work well.

Mikko
fahrenkemper@t-online.de

super 8 cartridge jittering

Post by fahrenkemper@t-online.de »

Hi, I had big problems with super 8 cartridges (K40) with my Beaulieu 4008 ZM II an d my Leicina sprcial. Today, I received 2 films of Tri-X-Reversal with big jittering, too. It is a catastrophy, as you can not rely on your material. My Beaulieu 4008 was serviced, and I think it was not necesaary, as the problem was not camera related, and I payed 4440 € for it... . So I hope Kodak can solve this big problem... Thomas Faehrenkemper
mike

jittery

Post by mike »

I like when women's breats would do some gittering!

I Think the jittering problem goes back to 2000 because I have some tri-x regular 8mm film that was jittering. It runs ok for 15 frames, then an upwards shift occurs for 10 frames, then returns to normal and repeats the jittering cycle.

Problem here is that Kodak doesnt seem to care about their films they sell. I tried last week to order pk-59 mailers through kodak and all I got wass "we'll send you some information" which turned out to be an unreadedable copy of a price list.

"check your emulsion numer..." Super8 and 8mm dont have one.
This would be the time to put one on the roll batches. Did Kodak even notify anyone after the defects occured? I bet the film never went through quality control. Maybe its time to get the FTC involved in this.
Rumor has it Kodak is elminiting all film by 2005.
Manuel

Jittering super 8 cartridges

Post by Manuel »

I was both pleased and thoroughly dismayed when I found this topic on your web site. I purchased 10 Kodak Plus-X cartridges in April to run exposure and focus tests for our upcoming film project and I had miserable results. The first roll I ran through a recently purchased Bauer C2 hung up and jammed so badly in my camera I thought the camera was to blame. I shot four rolls of tests in May with my Beaulieu 1028 and they jittered and jumped severely. Again, I blamed the camera, thinking it was in need of service. I had it cleaned and lubricated but ran out of time before our shoot began to test it thorougly. I bought an additional 10 Plus-X cartridges at the beginning of June and prayed that it would work out correctly. We began principal photography on June 8th and the first 6 rolls I got back from the lab seemed much better, though it was difficult to tell if I had solid registration with the screening projector I was using. I just sent them out to Roger at MovieStuff in Houston for transfer. We'll see what we get back in a week or so.

In the meanwhile I have trashed the three remaining older cartridges I had. Kodak doesn't label the Plus-X carts with an expiration date and I was unable to find any information on their web site regarding this manufacturing problem but this is the printing on the package from the group I had purchased that seemed to be the culprit:

106/924

All my new cartridges are labeled thus:

106/925

I hope that they are not older stock...we are now right in the middle of our shoot with 9 rolls shot and another 12 to go, and I just bought another 10 for the completion of the project.

-Manuel (manahoo@yahoo.com)
dgs8film

Post by dgs8film »

I have also had "jitter" problems with mostly K40 carts. Last batch # I had problems with: 3531 9294 process before date: 04/2003. I had one cart jam repeatedly # A 140573.
Dennis (dgs8film@aol.com)