Ferrania hope to start film manufacture in 2014

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

kuparikettu

Re: Ferrania hope to start film manufacture in 2014

Post by kuparikettu »

Some higher RMS slide films:
Fujichrome Provia 400F Professional, RMS 13
Agfachrome 160T, RMS 13
Ektachrome 200, RMS 13
Kodachrome 200, RMS 16
Fujichrome 400, RMS 16
Ektachrome 400X, RMS 19

Quite many of these are from the 90s I think.
Clapton Pond

Post by Clapton Pond »

Looking forward to seeing what they come up with. Here's a nice long interview with Ferrania which explains where they're at and where they're heading...

http://www.japancamerahunter.com/2013/0 ... interview/
https://www.slaughterback.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/slaughterbackfilms
https://www.gamine.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/gaminefilms
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

I hope they get back to making film. I loved their black and white, and the color stock they made for 3M (Scotch) was distinct enough to be a nice addition for film making choices. I shot a couple rolls of their color reversal film they made for Focal (KMart) back in the early 1980's and even though it had a fair amount of grain, I liked the different look. I am sure the new stuff they come out with will provide artists a nice palette for making beautiful films.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

We have Vision3 stocks for grainless-close-to-perfection looks; I'm fine with a more grainy stock for fun. An 800 speed reversal stock for motion picture cameras? Undoubtably grainy but interesting to play with.
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

Contacted them with my email name and location saying Double 8mm and perhaps 16mm film would be nice to use again.
cubdukat

Post by cubdukat »

Are they serious?

Scotch/Imation/Ferrania film was the absolute worst stuff in existence. They used to make film for the Albertson's/SavOn/Osco stores until they switched over to Konica, and then to Fuji. I remember shooting a roll of this stuff. Everything had this really sick puke-green cast to it.

Oh, yeah, and Seattle FilmWorks sold their stuff as their house brand after Agfa stopped making film for them.

All I can say is that I sincerely hope they've gotten better.
"You made me choke a chicken on national television...twice in one day!"

--Kevin Smith, after killing a tic-tac-toe playing chicken in Kissimmee, FL, "Kevin Smith's Roadside Attractions"
Will2

Post by Will2 »

cubdukat wrote:All I can say is that I sincerely hope they've gotten better.
It will be a novelty stock; something to play with in smaller formats.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Back in 1966 , I used Ferrania 8mm film from my local drug store. The film was unimpressive in color and grain, but I can attest that it still plays well with no color fading.
aj

Post by aj »

Remarkable how experiences of 50 years past are brought up against this plan to revive a much needed production of new material.

As if Kodak Ektachrome from the sixties was such a nice film. It certainly has gone green completely.
Not to start about Agfa CT-18 from all decades. Nice if you like magenta sunglasses :)
Kind regards,

André
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

Tommy wrote:Back in 1966 , I used Ferrania 8mm film from my local drug store. The film was unimpressive in color and grain, but I can attest that it still plays well with no color fading.
I am so happy that Ferrania would want too bring back there film"s in some form , and in color , in the age of google glasses / or iphone or what rage of now ?
eightmm

Post by eightmm »

Hi all,

In reply to a recent E-mail from me to Nicola Baldini, in which I informed about the productionstatus of the new Ferrania film, Nicola wrote that things are going
well. At this time (Nov. 2013) they are on schedule. The Ferrania team is waiting for some new equipment and if it will arrive in time, they can start the first production next spring as promised. Mr. Bandini stated that there soon will be an update of their website http://www.filmferrania.it

So, good news!

Paul, Holland
verydarkroom

Post by verydarkroom »

Yes, great news indeed! I do hope their cine formats will be reasonably priced so that we would be enticed to shoot more film, and hopefully bring in a new generation of shooters as well.
Kalu

Post by Kalu »

No news?
"Four legs good, two legs bad"
Maurizio Di Cintio

Post by Maurizio Di Cintio »

verydarkroom wrote:Yes, great news indeed! I do hope their cine formats will be reasonably priced so that we would be enticed to shoot more film, and hopefully bring in a new generation of shooters as well.
I totally agree with this point. Prices have been skyrocketing for the last couple of years up to unbelievable/unacceptable levels which can only be justified with the shortage of color reversal material (and despite some contrasting voices, Agfa 200 Aviphot is no substitute, because of its grain and its base material). My feeling here is these latest encreases in prices might be exploited to assess to what extent we - the end users - are willing to continue shooting on S/8. I for me (and I hope I'm not alone), am not - repeat - NOT willing to pay today's crazy prices once regular production has been restored. And considering inflation, inherent industrial price encreases and comparing all this stuff to good'ol K40 of ca 10 years ago, IMHO a reasonable price for a new, fine grained colour reversal 100 ASA Daylight should not exceed 25-26 euros per cartridge (incl. VAT etc...). Better if it's made available in 200' loads for self loading at discounted rates.
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

Is Ferrania actually going to produce film or is this a scam? Spring has come and almost gone but no official word that I can find.--J.S.