IJM INCORPORATED

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Spanky

Irv Higdon

Post by Spanky »

Thanks for all your tips guys.

Can you tell me a reasonable price to get a belt for an Elmo KM 100 projector? I sure would appreciate it.
CHAS

Post by CHAS »

etimh wrote: Are you perhaps referring to Marvin Meister at the Photo Center, located on Beverly Bvld.? I heard from someone somewhere that Marvin does work for this Irv character, but I have no idea for sure.

Thing is, I've taken two of my Elmo projectors to Marvin for work and they have come back in top form--he does fantastic work in my experience. He has also worked on cameras for me, doing check-ups and major repairs, all at very reasonable prices. I would recommend Marvin without reservations.

Tim
Tim,
can you give us contact info on Marvin at Photo Center?

Also, I notice there is an ad for "Pat's Projectors" in every issue of "Super-8 Today" magazine. They are located in the , uh, valley as well. Anyone have any experience with this outfit?
indiestar

Re: IJM INCORPORATED

Post by indiestar »

Well, we sent another payment to IJM to try and recover our Beaulieu 6008.

Here's his reply after he deposited our "second" payment.

"Please go to "filmshooting.com" web site and review the comments made by
"indiestar" on Mar 5, 2008 that we kept your camera and your money. Please
simply state that the money was determined to have been lost in the mail, causing
a simple misunderstanding. The money is now recovered and a simple apology
would be nice."

He has kept our camera and our money twice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ace

Post by Ace »

um...wow, this guys got some balls.

I believe there is a law against extortion...take him to small claims court, I'm sure that he has a history of doing this, would not be that hard to prove your case.
aj

Post by aj »

indiestar wrote:Well, we sent another payment to IJM to try and recover our Beaulieu 6008.

Here's his reply after he deposited our "second" payment.

"Please go to "filmshooting.com" web site and review the comments made by
"indiestar" on Mar 5, 2008 that we kept your camera and your money. Please
simply state that the money was determined to have been lost in the mail, causing
a simple misunderstanding. The money is now recovered and a simple apology
would be nice."

He has kept our camera and our money twice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The money had better been spent on a lawyer writing a summon to have the camera delivered back without delay. Which you still can and should do. Make sure to get back the 2nd amount of money and threaten with legal court and deferred costs of that. Works like a charm here in Netherlands. They will be forced-selling the house in no-time when things get that far.

People here on the forum have encountered a nice set of business partners with warped business ethics. Like this Guy named man from Vegas, the broken-camera seller from Rotterdam, this other broken camera seller german webshop in Bad Oeynhausen, processing labs with frustrated owners, the communicator lab from Cologne with hairy films, new film materials 3 years in the air elsewhere.

What have we got more. How do these people stay in business?

Too bad these threads are locked and blinded by admin because not only the posters are extorted. Maybe green-listing is less tricky :)
Kind regards,

André
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

indiestar wrote:Well, we sent another payment to IJM to try and recover our Beaulieu 6008........

He has kept our camera and our money twice!
How did you pay the first time? If you paid with a check,then your bank should have a record of the paid check. If you paid with a cashier's check or certified bank check, then the bank should have a copy of the paid cashier's check or certified bank check. Why send a second payment when you can prove that the first payment was received and cashed?

Roger
Jim Carlile

Post by Jim Carlile »

Ace wrote:um...wow, this guys got some balls.

I believe there is a law against extortion...take him to small claims court, I'm sure that he has a history of doing this, would not be that hard to prove your case.
Problem is, he'd have to sue him in California. It's doubtful an out of state judge would have jurisdiction. That's why credit card companies have their cadres of local Ca. attorneys-- always in some sleazy place like Westlake Village.

Roger's right-- none of this makes any sense, unless he was paid in cash. Let's see how long it takes to get the B' back-- it's probably been all over the Valley by now.

From now on, go here:

http://www.super16inc.com/
Ace

Post by Ace »

Problem is, he'd have to sue him in California. It's doubtful an out of state judge would have jurisdiction.
a few words on the subject:

Personal jurisdiction is based on territorial concepts. That is, a court can gain personal jurisdiction over a party only if the party has a connection to the geographic area in which the court sits. Traditionally, this connection was satisfied only by the presence of the defendant in the state where the court sat. Since the late nineteenth century, notions of personal jurisdiction have expanded beyond territorial concepts, and courts may gain personal jurisdiction over defendants on a number of grounds. However, the territorial basis remains a reliable route to establishing personal jurisdiction.

A person who has a civil claim may file suit in a court located in her or his home state. If the defendant lives in the same state, the court will have no trouble gaining personal jurisdiction. The plaintiff must simply serve the defendant with a summons and a copy of the complaint that was filed with the court. Once this is accomplished, the court has personal jurisdiction over both the plaintiff and the defendant. If the defendant lives outside the state, the plaintiff may serve the defendant with the process papers when the defendant appears in the state.

If the defendant lives outside the state and does not plan to reenter the state, the court may gain personal jurisdiction in other ways. Most states have a long-arm statute. This type of statute allows a state court to gain personal jurisdiction over an out-of-state defendant who (1) transacts business within the state, (2) commits a tort within the state, (3) commits a tort outside the state that causes an injury within the state, or (4) owns, uses, or possesses real property within the state.

If an out-of-state defendant caused an injury while driving inside the state, the court may gain personal jurisdiction over the defendant on the theory that the defendant consented to such jurisdiction by driving on the state's roads. Many states have statutes that create such implied consent to personal jurisdiction.

When the defendant is a corporation, the corporation is always subject to personal jurisdiction in the courts of the state in which it is incorporated. If the corporation has sufficient contacts in other states, courts in those states may hold that the out-of-state corporation has consented to personal jurisdiction through its contacts with the state. For example, a corporation that solicits business in other states or maintains offices in other states may be subject to suit in those states, even if the corporation is not headquartered or incorporated in those states. A corporation's transaction of business in a foreign state is a sufficient contact to establish personal jurisdiction.

In actions concerning real property located within the state, state courts may use additional means to gain personal jurisdiction over out-of-state defendants. A state court may gain personal jurisdiction over all parties, regardless of their physical location, in a dispute over the title to real property. This type of personal jurisdiction is called in rem, or "against the thing." Personal jurisdiction over all parties interested in the real property is gained not through the parties but through the presence of the land in the court's jurisdiction.

If a court cannot gain personal jurisdiction over an out-of-state defendant, the plaintiff may be forced to sue the defendant in the state in which the defendant resides or in the state where the injury occurred. For example, a plaintiff who was injured outside his or her home state may have to file suit in the defendant's home state or in the state where the injury occurred if the defendant has no plans to enter the plaintiff's home state.

...or there is always the People's Court. :lol:

Sometimes just threatening civil action and reporting to the Better Business Bureau is enough to get them to comply; and of course bringing the matter out in the open, like this forum here, can't hurt (he seemed pretty upset that you did that, a pretty good start in the right direction). The film shooting community is pretty tight knit, (even more so for small format) so, this guy is pretty much committing business suicide with his alleged unscrupulous practices.

Good Luck and let us know how it turns out!
indiestar

Post by indiestar »

"Why won't you retract what you originated? Simply say the check
was lost. It was a misunderstanding. Is that so dificult?
Lets remain friends!" Irv

Ok, here goes....
Irv, The check was lost, it was a misunderstanding! Let's kiss and make up!
Now will you please ship our camera!
Ace

Post by Ace »

Found this on the web (super8mm.org), it seems you are not the only one who has had problems with this guy...

"Way back in the day I had this beautiful little Beaulieu 7008 Pro, which I treated like a piece of equipment. The one day my cat pushed it off the kitchen table where it promptly hit the floor. After reviewing the machine I saw there was something wrong with the lens. I think it was a little off. Also the counter never reset itself when the film was removed. In fact it never turned off unless the batteries were taken out. So I sent the camera with one of the batteries for repair to www.ijmincorporated.com.

To be more specific I drove down to LA and met the owner sitting in his trailer park. We talked small talk and shoptalk. I gave him the camera with the battery in it, signed a few papers, and he said he’d have an engineer look at it. He seemed like a decent old guy.

A few weeks later he called to let me know everything was fixed, the charge was around $200 and he would mail it. Well he did, and the lens was fixed, but the counter still had the same issue, and the battery which was working fine before was now dead.

I contacted him about the issues and after some heated discussion he asked me to mail it to him again. I never bothered. I don’t know if that was a good idea on my part, but the fact of the matter was I went down and showed him the problem directly to make sure he understood the issue. The fact that he had returned it still damaged and even worse, destroyed the battery, was more than I could stand.

I frankly just didn’t want to deal with the man again. Sometimes I think a one-man shop is great because I like to deal with someone who loves his work, and will therefore does a good job. That was not what I saw there. I wish I had met the actual engineer."
yolia

Post by yolia »

"Why won't you retract what you originated? Simply say the check
was lost. It was a misunderstanding. Is that so dificult?
Lets remain friends!" Irv
Hey, Irv is it so difficult for you to admit you're a fraud and return my $85?

Irv can't be trusted. I strongly recommend that no one ever do any business with this humpback.
Mitch Perkins

Re: Irv Higdon

Post by Mitch Perkins »

Spanky wrote:Thanks for all your tips guys.

Can you tell me a reasonable price to get a belt for an Elmo KM 100 projector? I sure would appreciate it.
A belt's a belt; take the broken belt, (or if you do not have it, or it is stretched, loop a piece of string around the motor & shutter pulleys for sizing), and head to your local machine/electronics surplus store. If you find one that fits, buy six of 'em...

Mitch
Jim Carlile

Post by Jim Carlile »

A person who has a civil claim may file suit in a court located in her or his home state. If the defendant lives in the same state, the court will have no trouble gaining personal jurisdiction. The plaintiff must simply serve the defendant with a summons and a copy of the complaint that was filed with the court. Once this is accomplished, the court has personal jurisdiction over both the plaintiff and the defendant.
Yeah, but this is out-of-state.

In the U.S., a small claims court judge-- and that's what this would be-- has no jurisdiction on an out-of-state defendant. You might be able to get a judgement, if the judge hears it, but it has no bearing on the defendant. It can only be enforced if the defendant comes to the home state-- good luck.

That's why credit card companies sue in the defendant's state. This is true even of civil court. For this reason small claims judges will tell you you're out of luck, unless you can demonstrate that the defendant has an in-state presence of some sort.
Ace

Post by Ace »

Some of what you are saying is true--but in this instance they have kept the property (the camera) which was never property of IJM, and was never returned (in fact, IJM threatened not to return it or the money until he retracted a statement on this website), and therefore can be reported as theft. Because of this, criminal charges can be levied, possibly putting this complaint into a new venue.
Jim Carlile

Post by Jim Carlile »

Yes, a criminal matter is different, he could contact the L.A. County District Attorney's Office, who can act on his behalf. But, a personal appearance would be necessary in L.A., in which case they'd probably recommend him filing in small claims instead!

Normally they won't pursue matters like this unless it's over a certain amount or there is a pattern of behavior that they have documented.

The rule is, never do cash, always do PayPal or credit cards, because then there's recourse through the billing agency.