super16- Bolex vs K3

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

No...

The rental cost of course has dropped. I actually can't think of anyone that even rents them here(As far as legit houses go). The maintenance costs stay fixed.

I pay 1400US for the labor--parts are on top of that. The last service I had on it was a year ago and that was a basic body lube and mag overhaul which was 750US. The reason it was so much cheaper was because the motor didn't have to be pulled. In the end I could have done the body and just paid the 350US for the mags. The tech wanted to replace parts in one of my mags but I declined since I thought that an extra 100US for two rollers was stupid.

If you buy an ACL for 1500US and drive it into the ground you are way ahead of the game. At this point I am wondering if I should just drive my Aaton into the ground.

Good Luck
mattias

Post by mattias »

Nigel wrote:The rental cost of course has dropped. I actually can't think of anyone that even rents them here(As far as legit houses go). The maintenance costs stay fixed.

I pay 1400US for the labor--parts are on top of that.
no, the ones that you can rent here belong to dp's or operators you just rent them through the house. Same with the sr2's. The rate is as low as around $100 for the aaton, plus glass and so on, which means it has to be out a lot to pay for itself, especially since that wears it even more. I didn't think it was that expensive to service. Then again i've always had various little problems with them so maybe they don't treat them as well here as you do. /matt
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Aaton is French...They are fickle and moody. If you own one you learn their quirks and adapt to them.

I can't speak for the nature of a sub-lease on LTRs. I sub mine through one G&E house but it has lead to little money.

Good Luck
mattias

Post by mattias »

Nigel wrote:If you own one you learn their quirks and adapt to them.
here's one i'm curious about. i've had problems with take up jams at the beginning of rolls a few times, with different cameras and different ac's. once the film has spooled up several feet it's fine but if you try to start rolling when it's only just attached to the spool and the slack wound up it jams. big time, curling up completely, filling all the empty space in the mag with tagliatelle. i talked to one of the owners and he had seen it too but didn't know exactly how to fix it. a solution that doesn't waste film and doesn't make loading take longer than necessary would be nice...

/matt
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

That happened to me once.

What I do or tell my loader to do is to give the take up core a few twists--At least four. The other thing I do is to run a few seconds at the start of the roll and make sure that it is coming off and taking up correctly.

It doesn't take that long and only burns up a few feet.

It doesn't seem to be an issue exclusive to Aaton. It happened to me in college with an SR. Man, the feeling of dread I had when it has happened in the past.

Good Luck
fritzcarraldo

Post by fritzcarraldo »

So, the k-3 Konton (i know him from filmshooting forum, and i think that many people here know him too) sold on ebay some time ago was a enlarged gate 16mm and not a super16?

What is the difference between a super16 conversion and a enlarged 16mm gate?

I thought the operation was similar...

So, from what i read here, it isn't possible to convert a k-3 to super16?

Or it isn't a very good ideia, but, still possible!?

I really like k-3, but unfortunatelly, the normal clock motor k-3, jams a lot, beucause it really is possible to obtain great images from a k-3

Better than with bolex from what i've seen,

But the jamming problem...

Anyone here has a enlarged gate k-3 with crystal motor?

Do they offer stability?

And Mattias, tell me what is the difference between a super16 conversion and a enlarged gate conversion,

I think that it would be a better option for gilmata to buy a super16 instead of renting it, he could also rent it, and he could film with it as well

Of course, it always depends where you live in, what service companies exist

regards
mattias

Post by mattias »

fritzcarraldo wrote:What is the difference between a super16 conversion and a enlarged 16mm gate?
what's the difference between bolognese sauce and ground meat? the wide gate is the main ingredient of course, but a full conversion involves recentering the lens and at least recentering, preferably widening, the viewfinder as well.

/matt
fritzcarraldo

Post by fritzcarraldo »

I figured so, Mattias, but i needed confirmation, and by the way, i don't eat bolognese, i'm vegetarian, so, i wouldn't know the difference
mattias

Post by mattias »

I don't eat horse shit but i still know what it is. :-) anyway, i'm experimenting with vegetarianism myself right now. I don't think it's better for my health and i don't feel sorry for the animals, but i think it might be the only ecologically right thing so i wanted to know how my body would react. Since this thread is dead already maybe we can discuss that? /matt
wado1942

Post by wado1942 »

Our bodies are not meant to run on veggies alone. There's certain nutrients we must have from meat in order to stay healthy. And soy/nutz aren't complete substitutes for said nutrients like some people think. Though the average person consumes far more meat than they should and it's a good thing to cut back on it. If you have perhaps 1 meal a day with maybe 120G of fish or something then that's all you need. At any rate I don't think there's a moral delema to it because life feeds on life no matter what your species is. Afterall, veggies are living too. I've had periods of vegetarianism a few years ago mostly because I couldn't afford meat and my health declined even in the short weeks I didn't have any. But everybody is different.
I may sound stupid, but I hide it well.
http://www.gcmstudio.com