GK-Film has anybody heard from them?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Juergen

Post by Juergen »

Will2 wrote:Is Spectra in LA buying their Velvia 50D carts from GK or making them themselves?
Spectra is getting its films definitely not from GK-Film. GK-Film has 6 (six!) subcontractors to produce their films...
http://www.atollmedien.de
the books about all cameras and projectors ever built
aj

Post by aj »

Juergen wrote:
Will2 wrote:Is Spectra in LA buying their Velvia 50D carts from GK or making them themselves?
Spectra is getting its films definitely not from GK-Film. GK-Film has 6 (six!) subcontractors to produce their films...
PRODUCE THEIR FILMS? Then why is it so much trouble to get things produced?
SIX? Isn't that more than Kodak has? Or do you count Fuji, Kodak, the electricity company and Deutsche Post as subcontractor

I suppose you mean 6 resell(ers).

And why does one refer to GK as their (=plural) while it is a one man company? These pretences give people the impression and expections that there is a factory with a steady flow while there is neither.
Kind regards,

André
Juergen

Post by Juergen »

André,
no, not resellers but real subcontractors like producing the cartridge, fillin the cartridge, labeling the cartridge, splicing the film, notching the film - you won't believe it...

Even if GK-Film is not a one-man-show (as he has 3-4 co-workers), you are right that it is a small company. And there are a lot of problems which are not solved yet...
Angus

Post by Angus »

If we think of it this way.

Kodak manufactures the carts

Fuji manufactures the film.

Company A slits the film, perforates it and loads it

Company B Prints the labels and boxes

Company C re-nothces the carts.

GK finishes them for sale.

I may be wrong on the details but that's how such things are generally done.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
aj

Post by aj »

That would make even more contracters as the Deutsche Post en E-on electricity are not on your list. Nor is the post-stamp glue-on subcontractor.

I thought the slitting and perforating were the development of GK. And one would expect the filling and packaging in one hand and one building.

In other places things are promoted as GK being a one man operation which should explain why things are so cumbersome and people should be patience. Now Kodak and Fuji are subcontractor (in normal views of the world that would be distant suppliers) and he has 3-4 man at work (and none of them speaks english)

How many thousands of cinevia S8 per month does one need to sell (wholesale) to make a viable product and pay for the german salaries and purchased raw materials.

I think people are overestimating the market size.
Last edited by aj on Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kind regards,

André
Juergen

Post by Juergen »

André,
for heaven's sake - you're right.