Pulse of Life DV version is NOW out!

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Petteri

Post by Petteri »

:D :D

Nice....and i liked the logo by the way....

Petteri
super8man

Post by super8man »

Very sneaky Andreas, changing the top of this webapge like that. You may well be on to a new concept/strategy. OK, I'll take back my earlier comments and file this new approach under "ART" - that's cool.

One thing is not clear: does the DVD have both projects on it combined into one or are they separate projects...I recall some mention of the 2003 and 2004 being combined...Now that I say that, the film is more impressive if the days are kept separate (not intermixing two different days) - the power of the visual comes from it all occurring on the same day.

m
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
mattias

Re: Great Stuff!

Post by mattias »

awand wrote:It's read "Filmshooting com"
why?!?
It's just a logo I had my graphic designer make and it looks good I think.
there's no such thing as "just" a logo, and looking good is far from top priority when it comes to them. think recognizable, communicating, readable and so on first. but it's your call.

/matt
Uppsala BildTeknik

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik »

I think you could have a cool logo or whatever and have the text "Filmshooting.com" as easily readable text beneath or next to the logo.

The new logo kinda took me by surprise, "what is this...?" was my first thought. :?

I think a logo should be more "graphical" like a sign or something, one should see imediately that it is a logo and not just text. But then again we haven´t seen the new banner so who knows? :)
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

That was Amazing Andreas! A lot of creativity out there from those involved with that piece. It's nice to see creative film at work for the sake of the art :P , as opposed to shoving new cars down our throats.
reflex

Post by reflex »

Wow. WOW.

I watched the wmv version tonight - there was some audio distortion during the first piece of music. Not sure if it was a codec issue on my end, but it sounded like digital clipping.
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
LastQuark

Post by LastQuark »

Great job! Some features are amazingly very stable. Are these all Super 8?

I will make sure I will participate on the next one.

sammm

GOD BLESS YOU ANDREAS! GOD BLESS US ALL

Post by sammm »

Truly fucking amzing. The final product really captures the soul behind the concept. I can't express how excited and blown away I am. I hadn't even seen my own footage before sending it across the Atlantic! More importantly it is difficult for me to express how proud I am to have taken part in this film. It really is groundbreaking: a film concieved and organized by strangers from all around the globe, completely through web discussion. The first of its kind, but certainly not the last.

I now understand better the near-obsessive passion for Super 8 film and filmmaking that the users and participants here at filmshooting.com have. This was only my second time shooting super 8 (or any movie film for that matter). I had only the slightest idea of what I was doing, and I didn't really expect to be in the film. I was amazed to see this showcase of talent and creativity.

Thank you, Andreas, for your effort and time producing this film and for providing the people of the world who are interested in and dedicated to Super 8 film with a place to call our own, without which such a greatly succesful and creative collaboration would not have been possible.

Everyone seems to be excited about participating through this site. A lot of people, of which I am one of, are excited about "the next time-lapse project," but I believe that there is even more that can be done through collaborating on this site. Just ask yourself: did you ever imagine you'd be a part of an amateur movie with brilliant, original footage from 30 locations all across the world?? Ideas anyone?

Last week the Ann Arbor Film Festival ended and my only regret is that the film wasn't finished sooner so it could have been shown, possibly awarded and possibly put on the festival tour. I am positive I could have easily had the film entered. The festival is historic and really cool, everyone should check out their web page http://www.aafilmfest.org/ . There's always next year!

SAM FALIK
DETROIT, MICHIGAN
sammm

suggestion

Post by sammm »

After watching the film again, I definitley think the end credits should go much slower or in some way they should give much more attention to showing the viewer the great diversity in all of the different locations of the images they just saw. To me this is part of the essence of the movie, that all of these people are going places, all of these different things are happening simultaneously around the world at the same time (we don't even know, some of what you see really could have been filmed at the same moment arbitrarily). Besides this, I think simply knowing the interesting places makes the images themselves more interesting individually and collectively, as opposed to just anonymous landscapes.

SAM FALIK
DETROIT, MICHIGAN
monobath

Post by monobath »

That was awesome. I watched it several times, and became thoroughly mesmerized by it. Thanks to all of you who took part in the filming and production.

I can't wait to see the 2004 production.
Steve P.

Post by Steve P. »

Excellent work. Hats off to you for all the effort that went into that. That made my day.

1. Could the contributors comment about their individual footage? the locations/cameras/else would be really interesting.

2. The image stability was EXCELLENT. How much of that is post manipulation, or how much footage was lost to jitter? Was anyone using the Framemaster plate?

3. I thought the ending of the film was a little abrupt and jarring. It just, suddenly ended. Perhaps you could carry a final frame/fade? FWIW. Just my opinion.

Excellent work!
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

Steve P. wrote: 1. Could the contributors comment about their individual footage? the locations/cameras/else would be really interesting.
I used a Minolta XL-400 and K40. Location was Kristiansand, Southern Norway.
2. The image stability was EXCELLENT. How much of that is post manipulation, or how much footage was lost to jitter? Was anyone using the Framemaster plate?
Nothing was done during post. Most films were scanned on my FDL-60 telecine machine and some Jukkasil's WP. I don't know if anyone used the Framemaster. Anyone?
3. I thought the ending of the film was a little abrupt and jarring. It just, suddenly ended. Perhaps you could carry a final frame/fade? FWIW. Just my opinion.
I tried this, but I thought it looked much more powerful without the fade.
Excellent work!
I'm glad you liked it! :D
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
jukkasil

Post by jukkasil »

I used (in that glass-ball lamp and Chruch time lapse parts) Canon 1014 XL-S and Eumig 880 PMA (in that long time exposure part in the middle of film). My locations were Sauvo and Turku, west coast of Finland.
Best Regards

Jukka Sillanpaa
mattias

Post by mattias »

awand wrote:Most films were scanned on my FDL-60
ah, most interesting since i have the original wp scanned version on svcd. :-)

the latitude of your scanner is way superior to the xl-1 which i think you used for your wp scan, and the colors are more natural (i would have crushed the blacks a little for more punch though, especially the b&w parts). if only i could get a high res clip of the final version so i could compare sharpness. the image stedyness is pretty much the same. one thing that surprised me was that the new version shows more of the image. i would have assumed that a normal scanner would show much less than a wp with its enlarged gate...

/matt
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

mattias wrote:ah, most interesting since i have the original wp scanned version on svcd. :-)

the latitude of your scanner is way superior to the xl-1 which i think you used for your wp scan, and the colors are more natural (i would have crushed the blacks a little for more punch though, especially the b&w parts). if only i could get a high res clip of the final version so i could compare sharpness. the image stedyness is pretty much the same. one thing that surprised me was that the new version shows more of the image. i would have assumed that a normal scanner would show much less than a wp with its enlarged gate...
Since I scanned the films last summer I have learnt a lot and have gotten much better at operating the scanner. I use a 3ccd Panasonic NV-MX300 camera for the WP transfers. Lots of the material was underexposed (see the clip at the end overlooking Chicago (before the Hong Kong clip) and compare that to the WP version!) so I had to push the gain to the max sometimes.

Timelapse shots with Super8 is unstable because in most cameras there is no stop pin to hold the film while the frame is exposed.

When you scan with a WP you often zoom in a bit because the film can move in the gate and sometimes everything is not 100% aligned.

Gotto go now. Snowboarding all weekend at Hovden with my new Burton Bullett 167 board! 8)

See ya!
Andreas
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations