The Worst Super 8 Projector Ever?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

GeneratriX

The Worst Super 8 Projector Ever?

Post by GeneratriX »

Okay; I'm not original today; so. following the spirit of the thread "The Worst Super 8 Camera Ever?"; I'm propossing now:

The Worst Super 8 Projector Ever? :lol:
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
GeneratriX

Crappy!

Post by GeneratriX »

mmmhhhh!! :roll: Looks like a net challenger for "The Podium Of Crappy Things"! :lol:
Dre

Post by Dre »

Well, the worst projector I've ever own is this. . . this thing!

BENTLEY BX-11. It's even worst then their camera Bentley BX-720 (if that’s even possible). I really don't know what its even suppose to be. The worst part is it doesn't even work. Ugly hunk of plastic that scratched, chewed and crumpled up my film before spitting it back out on to the reel.

But no big loss, the film was shot using the Bentley BX-720 camera. :wink:
GeneratriX

Never Buy It!

Post by GeneratriX »

Dre wrote:The worst part is it doesn't even work. Ugly hunk of plastic that scratched, chewed and crumpled up my film before spitting it back out on to the reel.

heheheh!!! :lol: Geez!; What a tricky device!; Because despite of their poor performance, it looks pretty good!!! :lol:

I'll add these thing to my list of "NEVER BUY IT!" :lol:
Cheers! ;)
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I got one of those from a flea market a few years ago. They truly are awful.

Is there any way to actually re-wind the film out of that strange spinning plater thing? If there is, I couldn't figure it out. The whole contraption just seems like it was designed to destroy anything that goes in it and make it as difficult as possible to recover what few fragments made it through.
Super-Swede

Post by Super-Swede »

I can´t find the topic "The Worst Super 8 Camera Ever?" that you mentioned!
FILM-THURSO

Post by FILM-THURSO »

Now that blue and white projector looks rather nice but in terms of being the worst it might be worth setting aside anything like it which are really intended as kids 'toys', a kind of 'my first projector' thing.
My first projector was the Corgi Movie Projector and I had great fun with it in the days when power cuts were normal. I've never really encountered what I might call the worst projector, certainly machine better than others but none that are the worst of their kind. (yet)
Cameras on the other hand- But Ah! Bently! yes I have to say I have never seen anything bad in cine equipment until I bought a Bently Super 8 B3 which is modeled on the Fuji P2. It's a real pity it is nowhere near the quality of the single 8 original.
With a lens the size of a Nat's testicle and and aparently adjustable aperture (though it is determined not to adjust in the slightest) this paralax joy doesn't even stop the film advance when you let go of the shutter release, it just slows down and stops about 3 frames later and might even go as far as to close the shutter behind it!
The picture gate is an engineering acheivement in it's own right. Yes the galvanised -YES, GALVANISED- gate is guarenteed not to rust and will most certainly take advantage of it's unique qualities to scratch the lively manure out of that precious camera original footage.
The lens set up in the viewfinder can't see the edges of the view either- what ever became of the Bently company?
GeneratriX

Post by GeneratriX »

Super-Swede wrote:I can´t find the topic "The Worst Super 8 Camera Ever?" that you mentioned!
That's it!:

viewtopic.php?t=8082&highlight=super+camera
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

The Muplet posted above have a plastic gate, will heavily scratch your film, manual handle "motor", no proper backwind operation, battery powered "bulb" etc, etc.

However, it is sold as a *product* including cartoon films in Japan. Maybe they have polished the gate? :wink:

Anyway, more or less hand/palm size it is fancy as an office ornament.

R
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
Petteri

Post by Petteri »

I bought this for my kids:

http://www.crazyabouttoys.com/productZo ... 0_Zoom.jpg

It has Super8 film inside the casette :) Unfortenatly that's all good new about it.... After few runs and i mean few like 2-3 film looked like this:

Kids love it thought :)

Edit:

There is something like 2-3 meters film inside the casette (in a never ending loop), so i thought that when my kids will lose their intres with the movie, i will open the casette and replace it with my own pixelation loop :)

Petteri
FILM-THURSO

Post by FILM-THURSO »

Waow, that Disney toy looks great. I guess super 8 toys are still being made. The Corgi Movie Projector works the same way with a continuous loop of super 8 in a cartridge. Corgi also made a hand-held viewer and a TV/ projector that was motorised (a toy version of the likes of the Eumig RS3000) and could run at various speeds backwards as well. I have all these toys- they are fantastic and it's where I started in super 8 projection.
GeneratriX

Post by GeneratriX »

FILM-THURSO wrote:Waow, that Disney toy looks great. I guess super 8 toys are still being made. The Corgi Movie Projector works the same way with a continuous loop of super 8 in a cartridge. Corgi also made a hand-held viewer and a TV/ projector that was motorised (a toy version of the likes of the Eumig RS3000) and could run at various speeds backwards as well. I have all these toys- they are fantastic and it's where I started in super 8 projection.
Yes; you're right!

...I've judged the thing too hardly, just as if they were a precision tool for adults. I'm completely sure that all the kids could love it a lot to play with! ;)