Yellow Filter?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

steveb40

Yellow Filter?

Post by steveb40 »

If shooting 200D/T outdoors and desaturating to black and white what kind of contrast will I get? Does anyone suggest a yellow filter?

I'm looking for high contrast but not sure if the 200 in daylight will have enough.
Thanks
christoph

Re: Yello Filter?

Post by christoph »

steveb40 wrote:If shooting 200D/T outdoors and desaturating to black and white what kind of contrast will I get? Does anyone suggest a yellow filter?
errrm, you should ask yourself what is your postproduction line? any negative stock will have very low contrast ( this is why it has a good latitude towards over/under exposure).. the final contrast gets achieved by printing or in telecine (or postproduction).

so if you finish on video, you can crank up to contrast as much as you want.. you can also simulate different b/w filters by manipulating the color channels before desaturating.

if you finish on film (without the use of a digital intermediate) you'll have to print on a high contrast stock anyway (usually either title stock or sound recording stock).. but i'd suggest that you do a bit more of research in that case since the results are hard to predict .. and the process is quite expensive.

++ christoph ++

[edit: fixed some typos]
Last edited by christoph on Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
steveb40

Post by steveb40 »

Thanks for the response Cristoph. I'm trying to avoid too much control in post. I've shot tri-x with a red #25 and loved the results; I was under the impression that the neg stock will have a better image. I will experiment with a red on the neg stock and see what happens once the stuff is in my computer.

These forums are really helping me out.
christoph

Post by christoph »

steveb40 wrote:I'm trying to avoid too much control in post. I've shot tri-x with a red #25 and loved the results; I was under the impression that the neg stock will have a better image. I will experiment with a red on the neg stock and see what happens once the stuff is in my computer.
steve,

you always will have to manipulate negative stock if you go through a telecine route... ad it's useful to understand that a red filter does not really raise the contrast of an image, but rather manipulates the color separation (which gives the impression of higher contrast though) .. like if you shoot a an outdoor scene, the red filter will darken the blue sky (which makes stand out white clouds), darken the foliage and lighten up human skins etc.. if this is what you want, filters are a good way to do it (although as said, manipulating the color channels will result in a similar effect)

if you like the look of b/w stock and you dont like to manipulate in post, why not shooing plus-x which will be at least as good of an image as Vision2 200T (there is no 200D variant btw, the closest would be 250D but that's only available through pro8mm and Kahl).
and, it's much cheaper ;)

++ christoph ++
mattias

Post by mattias »

christoph wrote:manipulating the color channels will result in a similar effect
indeed. if you have final cut pro i have a free filter for you that does exactly that. give it a try.

http://www.mattias.nu/

/matt
steveb40

Post by steveb40 »

Thanks for all the help. I'll try some things and report back!
Skylab001

Post by Skylab001 »

steve,
do you have any frames from your Tri-x with Red 25 filter that you could post?

I'd like to see them as this is what I was going to try on my next roll of Tri-X. I love the look of all my stills shot this way, but was in some ways thinking it might be too contrasty.
steveb40

Post by steveb40 »

I'll try to post a few (have to build a quick, horrible web page). I hope this helps. These haven't been manipulated in post. I underexsposed because that is the mood I was going for.

http://home.earthlink.net/~steveb401/id1.html
Skylab001

Post by Skylab001 »

nice!!!! I'm sold!!

thanks steve
monobath

Post by monobath »

steveb40 wrote:I'll try to post a few (have to build a quick, horrible web page). I hope this helps. These haven't been manipulated in post. I underexsposed because that is the mood I was going for.

http://home.earthlink.net/~steveb401/id1.html
I'd love to see them, but for some reason, I just see the little white box with the red X in it.
steveb40

Post by steveb40 »

Sorry. Try this:
http://home.earthlink.net/~steveb401/

click on more photos.

Thanks
DC

Post by DC »

I have tried both links, but I too just get boxes with little crosses in. It would be cool to see shots of Tri-x with a red filter, as I have just bought four carts off ebay to shoot.
Dave Croft
mattias

Post by mattias »

yeah, firefox is a little more elaborate: "The image “http://home.earthlink.net/~steveb401/si ... jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors." what did you encode them with?

/matt
steveb40

Post by steveb40 »

Oh man. I'm trying. Works on my computer and it worked for skylab. If you guys like I can email a few to you. Perhaps a mac-pc issue; I'm on apple. Let me know.
mattias

Post by mattias »

i use mac os 10.3.5. i think it's your crappy web hotel that's the problem. i decided a hundred years ago never ever to use one of those...

/matt