Why is film better than Digital?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Number216

Post by Number216 »

David M. Leugers wrote:Wow, who has time to read all this?

I think film is better than video because I can run it through my cameras and project it on a large screen with my projectors. Simple but true. It is a great hobby with wonderful rewards. Professional cinema may one day be better due to digital projection, but it won't be the same and having changed, may not survive. The need to be out among the masses to share a common experience is way overstated. In fact, the only negative aspect of going to the movies to see a film is the rude, loud assholes ruining the movie for all around them. When I can get the same visual experience in a home cinema, there will be no need to go to a theatre for me.

David M. Leugers
Exactly. Which is why I generally go to the art-house theater to see movies. (mostly because I see a lot of art/independent film, but even some wide-released films such as "Garden State", I'll go see in that kind of theater) Art-house theaters generally have audiences who actually know how to shut up!

In terms of loud assholes, there's really only one time I've actually had that- "Shrek 2". Whole row of teens behind me riffing the movie as if it were Mystery Science Theater 3000 (only one difference; the MST3k people are actually FUNNY), made me ashamed to be a teenager myself. Most of the time, it's usually just "LADY! Hire a friggin' SITTER!"

I see people at my school who say there's no need to go to a theater because they have an HT system. (or people telling me not to be so pissed off at missing a movie while in theaters and to just get an HT system; just because you have the surround sound doesn't mean you have the theatrical experience; sorry, but it's gonna take more than even HDTV and DTS to make me completely abandon the movie theater (though the quality of the two are outstanding))

And to answer your very first question... I don't think ANYONE does. The post I just wrote that essay on in response (which is an opinion I've stated quite a handful of times, with new little things to put in there) just happened to be at the top of the page.

Sadly, due to my present circumstances, I probably won't be able to get started on shooting film for a while. (I have my uncle's old camera, and called up Kodak today (though I didn't order any film; very complicated story); mum doesn't like the idea of sending film off to NJ, and risking it being lost somewhere) For now, DV is what I have to put up with. Not the way I want it, just the way it is.
kentbulza

Post by kentbulza »

Is 16 fps the right number to achieve persitence of motion? I thought that the flicker had to trick us into seeing the same image 2-3 times in order for us to see it as motion.

I guess I mean to say 16 fps might be right indirectively, but it's more than that many images that we must see in order for the magic to work. So isn't it in the 24 images per second range? If a 16 fps projector was one blade, does it work?

I guess that kind of brings up the show rides. Because I think there is perceptible difference betwen these and normal film because we get to see more different images per second which gives us more feeling of reality.

Which brings up another question: are the 48 fps projectors two blade or one blade? What about Showscan. That was 60 fps. Was it two blade?
sunrise

Post by sunrise »

Interesting point, Kentbulza. I believe 16 fps is the correct number, but it may change due to circumstances. As for the persistance of motion, we talked about it some months ago and here's some of my main points:

It is a belief that many people still refer to, that retinal persistance is the effect causing the experience of motion. It is, however, not the case. A more accurate way of describing it would be mental persistance. Science does not as of yet come with a complete explanation of how the eye percieves motion in film viewing. The main belief, however, is that we percieve motion represented on the screen in the same way that we percieve motion in the real world. Two different effects can cause the persistance of motion; the phi effect and the principle of highest probability. These are two different optical/chemical/nervous processes that somehow interrelate in percieving motion.

The Phi effect

The phi effect results from succesive optical stimuli that are fairly similar triggering a chemical response which is sent to 1) the autonomic nervous system where a rough categorization is made and 2) visual cortex in the brain where (for short) it is being decoded. This is a bottom-up process creating and imediate response linked to our instincts.

The optic nerve consists of two different cell types; one type reacting to permanent stimulation and one type reacting to changing stimuli. Therefore the visual system has two types of temporal responses; slow and rapid.

It is in the slow response cell that you find the retinal persistance.

The rapid response cells reacts to two effects important to viewing motion pictures; flicker caused by a frequency descrepancy between the projection speed and the projection light frequenzy (resolved quite rightly by rotating fans, increasing the effective projected image per second), and visual masking. The latter is the effect of a second light stimuli disturbing the perception of the first. This is effective everytime there is an edit.

The rapid response cells does also react to movement. The phi effect, which causes persistance of movement, is the effect of two lights close to each other flashed one after another giving the impression that the first light has moved to the second position (Wertheimer experiment 1912).

The insertion of black spaces inbetween each frame is neccesary to give the impression of continuity, since the black insertion eliminates retinal persistance by creating a visual masking. If the black space was removed the retinal persistance would cause the human eye to see nothing but blur.

The fans then have two purposes, reducing flicker and visual masking, making it essential in the perception of movement on the movie screen.

The principle of highest probability

The principle of highest probabilty is a top-down process, where shapes and images from the visual cortex are sent to the memory to be categorised in sent to the working memory (or short term memory). Somewhere along this process a choice is being made. This makes the process interlectual, based on inheirent experience. It is described in this image. You cannot in the middle images see the duck and the rabbit at the same time. You will have to choose to see the one or the other:

This is the effect causing the motion in the flip book principle. The visual cortex simply cannot see two things at the same time, so it will have to choose. In this way you do not see the flipping of the book and the motion of the drawn object at the same time, it's either or.

While watching a film the brain constantly shiftes between a two dimensional experience of the screen and a three dimensional experience of the objects represented on the screen. This effect is based on recognition of a range of allready know symbolic representation of objects in the visual cortex in the human brain and not by retinal persistance.

When you look at a flip book you will also see a certain visual masking. These are moments where the rapid sensory cells are in a sense reset. Remember that it takes some time to flip a page. In this time you will not see the drawn object flip on the page, your eye will search for the next recognisable image choosing what to see.

In other words, the phi effect is observable by a dog or tortousie but the principle of highest probability requires higher brain functions which only the human brain's neocortex is capable of.

When watching a movie in the theaters we do not 24 different images per second, but due to the 3 blade fan, each image is projected 3 times. An effective 72 fps. I believe this also has an effect as to how we percieve motion as more real. What I'm saying is that reducing flicker has greater importance than higher framerates. A 100htz TV should in that case be more realistic than 50htz (I'm in Pal-country), since the image is more stable, but motion is the same.

Roger, we have come to agree that there is several factors deciding on a realistic experience:
  • 1) The size of the image
    2) The speed of the object
Taking the phi effect into consideration, there is a certain length that objects can travel before we no longer see them as moving. We will at that point use the principle af highest probability. But if the object moves even further, then we will interlectually have to fill in the space. these are the three modes of experience from the two factors.
Yes, but the degree to which the brain has to fill in the missing info is the degree to which is appears "real" or "recorded". If you had a wall that was about 35-40 feet away with a small 24 inch window in it and, beyond that window, there was an NTSC interlaced HD set showing a nature setting, it would be hard for the eye to determine if that was real or a recorded image.[...]Hoever, if the frame rate of the HD image were reduced to, say 30fps progressive, it would be immediately obvious that this was a recorded image, even though the lack of depth perception due to distance was exactly the same. The reason is that suddenly the eye becomes aware of the increments between one object position and the next. Now, back away from the wall another 40 feet and it might appear real again because the increments are reduced.
In order to experience something as more or less "real" would demand that the viewer is conciously aware of the framerate and aware of the proces of filling in. It would mean that we were experiencing 24fps and interlectually linking them in the on-line experience. But we don't, we percieve motion through the automatic nervous system.

The eye has no conciousness :wink:

Theres has not been much academic theoretical discussions of ride films, but basically they work in a way that tricks our senses into believing we are moving. The framerate might help in this perspective, giving sharper images and less blur in the frame. And the realistic experience might come from a cloeser resemblance to objects in the real world.

This is not the case of videoscreens. They are often smaller and more blurry than film screens, due to interlacing. You will then need a higher framerate in order not to have the movement blurred into a big mash of colours. I believe the "real", "live" or "real-time" experience comes from other surrounding properties.

michael
roxics

Post by roxics »

I just completed my first feature. Shot with a Canon XL1 DV25 camera.

Obviously I would have loved to shoot 16mm or even super 8; but it wasn't in the budget. This is the reason video is so prevalent as most of you know.
For $3000 I was able to complete a 71-minute movie. I recently budgeted what we shot on video to what it would have cost on 16mm film. $30,000 or one thousand percent.

Honestly I love film. I love the look, the texture, the latitude and all that. But I don't love the time it takes to load the camera or the price it cost to shoot it.

Sure if your production is being paid for by someone else then format may be nothing more then a formality. But when you have to pay for everything yourself format dictates a lot of the overall cost. Sad but true.

To answer your question. Film has latitude and color definition that is currently unmatched in prosumer DV cameras. Film has movement and texture, which is more pleasing to the eye. As the old saying goes: video is what the eye sees and film is what the mind sees. But I think that is more about the illusion then the format. Video is making good strides in that area. But it’s not perfect and it takes more work to achieve that. Both on set and in post.

In my situation which is the same as many others in the low budget fund-it-yourself arena; the best we can hope for is one of two things:

1. We get hooked up with some well to do financiers so we can shoot film.
or
2. Prosumer video technology makes leaps and bounds over the next five to ten years so that it can at least mock the properties of film straight out of the camera.

I believe the second will happen first. It’s just a matter of time. But I am one of those who is optimistic that video can one day look like film. Many because I have little choice. It’s in my best interest to believe this.

On a side note I am here because I will be shooting a few short films in 16 and super8mm later this year. I’ve come to brush up as it’s been years since I’ve shot motion film. Short films are about the only thing I can afford to shoot on film. But hey that image lust gets the best of me.
jean

Post by jean »

filmfan wrote:As far as I am concerned, the super 35 image is not so super. Just about all of the films shot in this format would have looked so much better if shot anamorphically.
Anybody clue me in here? Given the same format, the image quality should be inferior with anamorphs?
have fun!
mattias

Post by mattias »

what do you mean the same format? super 35 matted to 2.35:1 is just slightly more than half the image area of anamorphic.

/mat
kentbulza

Post by kentbulza »

jean wrote:
filmfan wrote:As far as I am concerned, the super 35 image is not so super. Just about all of the films shot in this format would have looked so much better if shot anamorphically.
Anybody clue me in here? Given the same format, the image quality should be inferior with anamorphs?
You're probably right -- optically. But in 35, the anamophic process means you're able to use up more film area which more than compensates for any optical loss. This is not like Super 8 anamorph which uses the same film area.
downix

Post by downix »

roxics wrote:I just completed my first feature. Shot with a Canon XL1 DV25 camera.

Obviously I would have loved to shoot 16mm or even super 8; but it wasn't in the budget. This is the reason video is so prevalent as most of you know.
For $3000 I was able to complete a 71-minute movie. I recently budgeted what we shot on video to what it would have cost on 16mm film. $30,000 or one thousand percent.
Rick on here shot his 81-minute movie Sleep Always on Super8 for just a little bit more than you did on the XL1. It is not impossible to do a movie on film for roughly the same as it would on video, but it will require discipline. I'm planning on doing mine on film for just a little bit more than Rick spent.
jean

Post by jean »

Ah, I get it. I did not take into account that large part of the s35 frame is matted.. thanks.
have fun!
roxics

Post by roxics »

downix wrote:
Rick on here shot his 81-minute movie Sleep Always on Super8 for just a little bit more than you did on the XL1. It is not impossible to do a movie on film for roughly the same as it would on video, but it will require discipline. I'm planning on doing mine on film for just a little bit more than Rick spent.
Hey Downix small world...err...internet. :)
You are right. My numbers are slightly fudged. I am counting the fact that we shot 22 sixty minutes tapes. But being the nature of video one tends to let the camera roll on whereas in film they typically don't. Had I been disiplined and had all my shots been prepared and had all my actors been prepeared it would have been possible. However being my first feature it was a good learning experience.

Also most of my budget went toward food, lights and other things. It was only a couple hundred that went to tapestock.
downix

Post by downix »

roxics wrote:
downix wrote:
Hey Downix small world...err...internet. :)
You are right. My numbers are slightly fudged. I am counting the fact that we shot 22 sixty minutes tapes. But being the nature of video one tends to let the camera roll on whereas in film they typically don't. Had I been disiplined and had all my shots been prepared and had all my actors been prepeared it would have been possible. However being my first feature it was a good learning experience.

Also most of my budget went toward food, lights and other things. It was only a couple hundred that went to tapestock.
It's always good to learn. And yes, I'm everywhere! MUAHAHA! Ok, I'm over myself.

How much did the cameras set you back tho?

And yes, that shooting ratio is almost as bad as a Kubrick film. 8)
Number216

Post by Number216 »

downix wrote:Rick on here shot his 81-minute movie Sleep Always on Super8 for just a little bit more than you did on the XL1. It is not impossible to do a movie on film for roughly the same as it would on video, but it will require discipline. I'm planning on doing mine on film for just a little bit more than Rick spent.
I could have sworn "Sleep Always" was in the ten-thousands range. ("90,000 Canadian", I think I read on the iMDB; while, if I read correctly, the XL-1 film was made on a $3,000 budget)

Well, since I'm not going to be able to start shooting on film for a while, I guess I can use some of that money to get Rick's film. (considering that I shoot movies on no budget anyway on a Digital-8 camcorder, and have plenty of money saved up for when I'll actually NEED a budget, I figure it wouldn't hurt to take some of that money to get not only Rick's film, but also Scot's film, "In My Image")
marc

Post by marc »

I believe that it was determined ( and I don't remember the source) that a minimum of 10 fps was necessary to achieve persistence of motion.