DP required for October shoot in London

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

actaeonfilms

DP required for October shoot in London

Post by actaeonfilms »

Actaeon Films Ltd will be shooting two 1min short films on Super 8mm for the BBC One Minute Movies scheme in October in the London area. Shooting for each film will only take a few hours over two days and would make an effective and concise showreel piece. Travel and phone expenses will be paid, food will be provided on set and a DVD/VHS will be delivered on completion of the film. Please send resumes, and/or showreels to Daniel Cormack, Producer and Director, Actaeon Films Ltd, 9 Caterham Road, London, SE13 5AP or e-mail actaeonfilms@gmail.com.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Is there any more info on this? What are the films? Subject matter? Genre? What are you shooting on?
hassan

Post by hassan »

The rules are pretty good!
Basically you make a film and give it to the BBC who can do what ever they like with it.

One Minute Movies Rules

You agree, by submitting your contribution, to grant the BBC a perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive, sub-licenseable right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, play, and exercise all copyright and publicity rights with respect to your contribution worldwide and/or to incorporate your contribution in other works in any media now known or later developed for the full term of any rights that may exist in your contribution, and in accordance with privacy restrictions set out in the BBC's Privacy Policy. If you do not want to grant to the BBC the rights set out above, please do not submit your contribution to the BBC.
mattias

Post by mattias »

hassan wrote:create derivative works from
that's completely insane. otherwise it seems pretty straighforward.

/matt
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Derivative works means the book, the play, the trailer, the stills image, etc not just a work that rips-off the script!
mattias

Post by mattias »

i'm not sure i understand. derivative work is using the material to make new material.

/matt
hassan

Post by hassan »

maybe i´m just too cynical, but it looks to me like you make a film and the you wave goodbye to it and give it to the BBC, then a while later you see a different film, play, book that bears a striking similarity to your film only it doesn't have your name in the credits and there's no transfer of money into your bank account.
mattias

Post by mattias »

hassan wrote:a different film, play, book that bears a striking similarity to your film
that's possible, but i don't think that's what they're having in mind. they just want to be able to reëdit the material, maybe cut the films together, add music and so on. it's still unacceptable though, and shows once again how little respect tv people have for the artistic integrity of filmmakers.

/matt
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

The rights they have are non-exclusive, which means you can do anything you like with them - you're just letting the BBC show them too. I wouldn't worry about the BBC ripping you off - you're only worry is people seeing your film on the website and ripping you off. But even if they did, what are you gonna do? Sue them? They're probably just as low budget as you are - not likely to make your money back. You're only 100% guarantee of not being ripped is never showing your work to anyone. What is it with this filmmakers paranoia?!
mattias

Post by mattias »

dantheman wrote:you're just letting the BBC show them too
no, you're letting them make car commercials or "the uk's funniest home videos" vignettes with it.
dantheman wrote:What is it with this filmmakers paranoia?!
why would they require the rights to create derivative work if they don't need it? i don't want filmmaking to go the same way as still phography, where your fashion pictures which you had a very clear vision with and made for a specific customer, but signed off all the rights to, can suddenly show up in a miracle diet ad years later. it's all about respect for the artistic and personal integrity. it would surely help if they posted why exactly they need the derivative rights.

/matt
actaeonfilms

Post by actaeonfilms »

As I said in the original post, all genres are accepted except animation. The film stock we shoot in will be determined by the script.

The terms and conditions look like a pretty standard release to me. Furthermore, the BBC under the terms of their Government license are not a commercial organisation - they don't even show adverts and are funded by the Television license.

The scheme has been running for a while now and to my knowledge they have not done anything with the movies other than put them on the website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/oneminutemovies/

Daniel
mattias

Post by mattias »

actaeonfilms wrote:they don't even show adverts and are funded by the Television license
the channel, yes, but they're also one of the largest, if not the largest, production companies in the world, producing material for lots and lots of commercial stations globally. if you give them full rights to the material it's not completely unlikely that it will show up on some discovery feature or whatever.

/matt