Zeiss Ikon Moviflex S8 questions/camera manual?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

inlieubeaulieu

Zeiss Ikon Moviflex S8 questions/camera manual?

Post by inlieubeaulieu »

I just got a Zeiss Ikon Moviflex S8 camera and would love to find a free manual (from what I've heard it's not the best manual, so I'd ideally not have to pay $15 for a PDF), I'm hoping it will clear up some questions (or more likely it will not).

everywhere I've been looking states that the camera can properly meter for 10-100asa, with no Tungsten/Daylight info. does anyone know if this camera will properly shoot 100D, or will it rate at 64asa? (as so many brands do with Daylight film they'll shift it down to the Tungsten w/daylight filter reading)

my other question is just about the screw above the lens, what is it for?
jpolzfuss

Re: Zeiss Ikon Moviflex S8 questions/camera manual?

Post by jpolzfuss »

Hi!

a) It looks like E100D will be exposed as 64ASA:
http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Zeiss_Ikon_Moviflex_S_8
b) When the camera hasn’t got a switch with bulb/sun-symbols, then the Wratten85-filter will most likely be removed by putting a movie-light into the socket. Either there’s a contact (for the in the socket or the movie-light will have an extension that goes into another „hole“ for the filter-key. Could you please provide some photos of the camera?
c) You can find some information here:
https://cinematography.com/index.php?/f ... viflex-s8/

Good luck!
This space was left intenionally blank.
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

Hi!

I have found some images:
https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/pp/zimoviflexs8.htm
Looks like the slot on top is really for the filter key. And it’s also the movie light holder (Kodak standard style): simply scroll through the images of this listing and you’ll see that the lamp has got a part that looks like the camera’s filter key:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/848446175/ ... ht-model-2
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

inlieubeaulieu

Post by inlieubeaulieu »

yeah, it uses a filter key, but also features a second pin in the film chamber for reading the Tungsten/Daylight notch setting.

I've seen that sales brochure before, but it doesn't really go into the technical details of the camera. I've heard that the manual doesn't expand too much on the information in the sales brochure, but just want to double check

I guess I could try loading a 200T cartridge (which would max out the internal light meter at 100asa) and compare the meter readings (with and without the daylight filter engaged) with an Ektachrome cartridge.
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

I've found these images. Not sure whether it's another brochure, or a "quick reference" or the (complete?) manual...
zeiss_s8_01.JPG
zeiss_s8_02.JPG
zeiss_s8_03.JPG
zeiss_s8_04.JPG
zeiss_s8_05.JPG
zeiss_s8_06.JPG
zeiss_s8_07.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

inlieubeaulieu wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:33 am I guess I could try loading a 200T cartridge (which would max out the internal light meter at 100asa) and compare the meter readings (with and without the daylight filter engaged) with an Ektachrome cartridge.
That’s a good idea! Maybe you should also compare the readings with some other cameras/lightmeters?!

Maybe a stupid idea:
The upper notch is the same for 160T and 100D. The only difference between 160T and 100D is the absence of the lower Tungsten notch for the 100D. So when cutting the additional notch into the 100D‘s cartridge, every camera should assume that it’s a 160T. Hence, when manually disabling the filter (with the filter key in case of your Zeiss) the camera should try to expose the 100D as an unfiltered 160 ASA film. As your Zeiss cannot go beyond 100 ASA, it will expose the 100D at box speed…
However, many film- and slide-shooters claim that the E100D isn’t fully 100 ASA. Hence they expose it as 80 ASA. Hence, your Zeiss might accidentally expose the E100D „correctly“ (or „good enough“) even when exposing it as 64ASA. (Whether this claim is correct or not is heavily debated. It could also be a bunch of mis-calibrated lightmeters or the camera-owners not properly taking the light-loss into account that caused by their lenses, semi-transparent mirrors (as used by most S8-cameras),… .)