Beaulieu 4008 ZM II Battery Bodge

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

gianni1

Beaulieu 4008 ZM II Battery Bodge

Post by gianni1 »

According to Google: bodge /bɒdʒ/verb INFORMAL•BRITISH, make or repair (something) badly or clumsily. "the door was bodged together from old plank, verb: bodge; 3rd person present: bodges; past tense: bodged; past participle: bodged; gerund or present participle: bodging

This post is about battery bodge which now allows me to celebrate the renewal of my love affair with, and the rebirth of my sweetheart Beaulieu 4008 ZM II. Is "she" the correct gender for a French camera? Any way, she was lying around unused and unloved for so long. I had bought this object of desire from Germany over a decade ago on Ebay.de

This was not my first battery bodge, but that used six AAA's, and needed fixing or replacing. So I considered to splurge £10-£20.00 on a pair of new "3 AAA battery holders" with flying leads, or a single AA holder and two 1/2AA 3.6V Lithiums. Instead, I decided save my pennies and reuse stuff lying around the house, with the exception of spade connectors £1.50 from the car stereo section of my local home and garden centre. I really didn't want to spend hundreds of £/$/€ to recell my dead 4008ZM batteries.

I scavenged two 3.7V Lithium-Ion batteries that were leftover from one of my kids broken digital camera. I used a short extension tube, 42mm screw mount that i had stuffed in my 4008ZMII camera case. I made this new 7.4 / 3.7 Volt battery pack with some insulated wire, spade connectors and finally some electrical tape. Apart from collecting the items, and charging the batteries, took about an hour to make. I'll have to unwrap the bodge to recharge the batteries, but maybe I'll never have to recharge them. The batteries have been lying around for over six years since the Pentax camera failed on my kids holiday.

The camera's alive again, but now I must decide when to eventually send it for service to Bjorn Andersson of Beaulieu Sweden.

Special thanks to Erkin Umit's "Beaulieu 4008 (2008) DIY battery recelling" post at https://sayyes2analog.wordpress.com/201 ... recelling/.

Gianni B-)

Photos of the project.
IMG_1689 Beaulieu 4008ZM2 with two 3.7V Lithium Battery Pack, and short extension tube 42mm screw mount.jpeg
IMG_7941 IMG_5156 Beaulieu 4008ZM2 with two 3.7V Lithium Battery Pack Wire Method No Solder, Wire, Spade Connectors, Electrical Tape.jpeg
IMG_7049 IMG_5156 Beaulieu 4008ZM2 with two 3.7V Lithium Battery Pack Wire Method No Solder, Wire, Spade Connectors, Electrical Tape.jpeg
IMG_5156 Beaulieu 4008ZM2 with two 3.7V Lithium Battery Pack Wire Method No Solder, Wire, Spade Connectors, Electrical Tape.jpeg
IMG_5125 Pentax Battery Donor (Dead Camera).jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.