Archiving

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Will2

Archiving

Post by Will2 »

I'm going through the process of archiving a closet full of film. I'm ordering Tuscan plastic vented cans and trying to figure out a good database system to keep track of everything.

In the mean time I've found that these SanDisk USB drives fit perfectly in 16mm cores and I'll secure with a little film can tape. I figure if the database gets lost or I'm gone at least there will be a way for someone to view the contents without a telecine.

Nicholas Kovats

Re: Archiving

Post by Nicholas Kovats »

Great idea. Will! Thanks!
Nicholas Kovats
Shoot film! facebook.com/UltraPan8WidescreenFilm
Mmechanic

Post by Mmechanic »

What could have made you to have film duplicates made? I’m asking that because I plan to start a business right for such commissions. If you could buy the world’s best contact duplicates of which every frame was exposed completely stationary and located according to the standard relative to the perforation, how much would you pay? A Dollar per foot, 90 cents? Black-and-white dupes were available and colour separations for future recombination. Virtually no granularity, polyester base film.
Nicholas Kovats

Post by Nicholas Kovats »

Fascinating. Are you planning three color b/w separation archives?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nicholas Kovats
Shoot film! facebook.com/UltraPan8WidescreenFilm
Silverdream

Post by Silverdream »

Will2,
If you're storing old film possible future vinegar fumes from the film might affect the USB drive. It might be wise to wrap the drive up in something to protect it. Just a thought.

Mechanic,
I thought this type of archival process was already being offered. Maybe you should check the going prices to see what to set yours at.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Silverdream wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:35 pm If you're storing old film possible future vinegar fumes from the film might affect the USB drive. It might be wise to wrap the drive up in something to protect it. Just a thought.
Hmmmm...interesting. I'm making sure the storage cans/boxes are vented. Which is good for the vinegar issue but bad for water damage possibilities. Also considering molecular sieves to place in each can...

Will2

Post by Will2 »

Mmechanic wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:56 pm What could have made you to have film duplicates made?
Probably wouldn't make duplicates. Most of the footage I'm archiving is personal stuff and the professional projects wouldn't have the budget or really even the need for film duplicates. Once the project is shot, edited and finalized it would almost never go back to the film. These are corporate and music videos. I'd backup the 4k scans yes, but not make film duplicates...
Mmechanic

Post by Mmechanic »

Nicholas Kovats wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:15 pmAre you planning three color b/w separation archives?
There are various versions. You could have a set of three strips or a three times longer one with the sequence 1R-1G-1B-2R-2G-2B-and so on. Half-thick base films are on the market, I have used them for the first time in 2005 in the 16mm format (Gigabit film) but that was black and white. Gigabit film was based on microfilms with dedicated developer formulae. To complement the modern formula I had tried a recipe from 1879 and got wonderful internegatives from the combination. Almost any contrast is achievable from harsh to as soft as Gamma 0,3. In 2008 I went bankrupt and had to close the lab. The website was not well made and my publicity was poor.