Single frame problem

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

7OSE9

Single frame problem

Post by 7OSE9 »

Is it possible use a cable release for single frame feature on a Bolex H8 Rex4 with Rexofader?
The Rexofader prevents operation because:
adapter like third version of this image:
I can't mount it upside down because there is the lower part of Rexofader that prevents it.
The second version, that I also have, not fit well, for the same reason.
At the bottom of the Rexofader (in the "blade") there is a small hole, where the release cable can screw, but the internal thread of my cable can't push the switch to the end. Perhaps my cable version, original Bolex, has the thread too short, but I think if it were longer it could break.

What do you think?
Thank you.
sciolist

Re: Single frame problem

Post by sciolist »

Using a Gitzo cable release threaded into the Rexofader, I was able to operate an H8 RX4 with the Rexofader functioning in single frame mode. The cable on the Gitzo extends about 27mm from the threaded nipple, and it's in no danger of breaking.
7OSE9

Post by 7OSE9 »

Thank you, sciolist, would you give me some indication to know which Gitzo cable could be similar to yours? I find many on the web.
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

It's a version that has an angled tip, but there's nothing special about it. You'll just need to find a cable release that has enough 'travel'. I'm sure there are many of them. I'll look for others that may work (I've dozens) and let you know what I find.
7OSE9

Post by 7OSE9 »

Thanks!
I just tried a Gitzo cable with angled tip and a round plastic near the button, which I use on my Beaulieu 4008 ZM II. Unfortunately, the thread is thicker and does not fit into the hole of the Rexofader (and adapters), but the length of the tip that comes out is longer than the Bolex official cable of a good centimeter. Too bad, it would have been fine. I also use it on my other cameras (Pathé, etc.) successfully. Maybe I even have one for the Krasnogorsk, I will check the length.
However, strange that the Bolex did not produce "official" release cables for this case, it is clear that that little hole on the Rexofader blade was left in anticipation of that.
Mmechanic

Post by Mmechanic »

Do you need the fader with your single-frame work?
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

7OSE9 wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 3:00 am . . . strange that the Bolex did not produce "official" release cables for this case, it is clear that that little hole on the Rexofader blade was left in anticipation of that.
I found a Bolex cable release that's a perfect fit for the Rexofader. Sheathed in black plastic, it's about 70 cm in length and has a non-tapered thread that engages fully in the threaded hole in the Rexofader. 'Bolex' is engraved on the plunger and 'Germany' on the flange against which the plunger is pressed. The cable releases shown in eBay listings 173300225909 and 273109036698 appear to be of this type.
7OSE9

Post by 7OSE9 »

@Mmechanic: No, I don't need it, but it's uncomfortable disassemble it during the shoot session. I happen to do an animation between a continuous shooting and the other, even if I'm outdoor, and the Rexofader also has small pieces ...

@sciolist: I asked to the first seller if he can tell me the measurment of tip out of plastic size, to see if it gets to push single frame switch. The cable is 50 cm, not about 70 cm like yours.
So, your cable pushes the switch without problems?
The second seller is more expensive, let's see if I solve with the first one.
Thank you.
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

7OSE9 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 4:02 amSo, your cable pushes the switch without problems?
Yes, the cable actuates the switch perfectly. I think it's the "official" cable release you suggested ought to exist.
7OSE9

Post by 7OSE9 »

The seller showed me the length, 2.6 cm, suitable for the function.
I hope to win it. :)
Thanks!

For historical curiosity: this model of cable release it would seem (looking Bolex Collector) older than the Rexofader, also the first Rexofader. Who knows if the company has taken account of these old cables for the single frame function+fader. And who knows why they has reduced the length of the tip, afterwards, with new all metal release cables; it does not seem that the extra lenght compromises the solidity.
7OSE9

Post by 7OSE9 »

The cable then arrived and works great!
Thank you!