I love my workprinter Jr.

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

jumar

Post by jumar »

Ultrazero wrote:Santo: What do you make of the JVC GRHD1? The first consumer HD camera. A few months old.
That camera only has one CCD, so while you get much higher resolution from the single CCD that's there, the colour definition aparently isn't as good as the 3 chip cameras.
Ultrazero

Post by Ultrazero »

see... that's exactly why i wanted you guys to look at it.

Although i'm sure the picture looks great, its too good to be true. I wonder why they wouldn't put 3 CCDs in that thing? It almost doesn't make any sense.
Santo

Post by Santo »

you're exactly right, ultrazero. doesn't make sense. HD on that cam kind of veers more into a marketing gimmic almost.

two years from now people who bought that camera will be kicking themselves when they've got a few 3 chip HD cameras to pick from. and probably ones that do 24fps. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I read that this one only does 30 fps.

but it's kind of a double edge sword, I think. On one hand the blade cuts in super 8's favour:

combine a workprinter a HD cam and an editing software program (that will at least output back to HD) and find a place that will do a transfer for you to a larger gauge (unless it's only a great video you're interested in, which is okay -- depends on your project/goals), and the microbudget filmmaker could probably even get away with using beautiful and cheap k40 and be viable for a theatrical release. providing you can overcome the incredible difficulty in doing interior lighting, you could maybe pull it up to large scale and keep its strengths instead of seeing them go down the drain in a soft and muddy traditional optical blow up. All in all it represents a combination of new and old technology to do something never possible before. okay, it has been possible for a while now, but only for people with 7 figures to drop on a film and they wouldn't bother with stretching super 8 to its full potential. See Roger's thread on his problems with "professional" super 8.

where the other edge of the swordcuts against super 8:

if many microbudget filmmakers get their hands on a decent HD cam, the desire to shoot film will diminish for many of them. it looks really good and, unlike DV, it keeps looking good on the big screen.

one thing is certain, i think: look for a startling glut of Canon XL1's and their brethen on the market from aspiring filmmakers in the very near future. With DV becoming more of a potential tool for for certain looks and effects (like the big guys unfortunately look at super 8 these days), rather than a serious feature filmmaking alternative for most like it is now.