repairing Canon 514 XL-S - Does this sound familiar ?

Technical talk about 8mm, Super8, 9.5mm, 16mm and 35mm ++ motion picture cameras.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

DTNethery

repairing Canon 514 XL-S - Does this sound familiar ?

Post by DTNethery »

I have a Canon 514 XL-S which has run very well for many years with no problems , but it has suddenly stopped working .

It won't power up to run film through, but there is "some" power getting through from the batteries. When I push the Battery Test button the red light appears in the viewfinder indicating the batteries are fully charged (I used fresh AA batteries to test) , and the Auto Light Meter reacts normally as expected when pointing the camera to different lighting conditions from bright light (f16 or f11) to medium light (f8 - to - f4) , to dim light (f2 or f 1.4) .

But the bad thing is when I switch the camera from Off to R (run) , there is a sort of " electric humming" sort of sound combined with a slight "grinding" sound , which makes it sound like the motor is trying to run , but is stuck . This humming /grinding sound happens as soon as I turn it from Off to Run , and pressing the shutter release button has no effect . The humming/grinding sound is constant until I switch the camera back to the Off position. Opening the film door on the right side of the camera while pressing down on the shutter release confirms that the shutter is not opening , the claw is not moving , the circular film transport wheel is not turning . There's some sort of power getting to the camera from the batteries because of the electronic humming sound and the fact that the light meter is responding , but something else is stuck.

Does this sound familiar to anyone ? Is it fixable ? Is it more likely that the inner works have seized up and need to be cleaned and lubricated or does this sound more like an electrical short ? I've tried all the usual things like jiggling the handle and checking the battery compartment and terminals (they are clean, no corrosion) .

I haven't been able to find any repair instructions for disassembling and lubricating the Canon 514 XL-S . If anyone can point me towards such instructions I might be willing to give it a go . OR if what I'm describing is a known issue with the Canon 514 XL-S and anyone can recommend a good Canon repair service in the U.S.A. I'd appreciate it.

It would probably be easier to just get another Canon 514 XL-S from eBay , but until now this camera has functioned flawlessly and I've kept it in good shape , so if repairing an electrical short would fix it or if lubricating it would fix the problem and the cost is not too dear I might want to get this one repaired.

DTNethery

Re: repairing Canon 514 XL-S - Does this sound familiar ?

Post by DTNethery »

Another Canon question, this time about Canon 814 AutoZoom (this one: http://www.super8data.com/database/came ... tozoom.htm )

I'm taking my old Super-8 cameras out of storage and starting to shoot some film again. My first post above about the Canon 514 XLS was the result of it abruptly shutting down on me.

Now I'm noticing an odd thing about my Canon 814 AutoZoom which had been working ok last time I used it several years ago . Everything seems to be working fine , except the Auto Exposure is either not working or is "lagging". I got the replacement Wein Cell 1.35 v batteries (MRB625, replacement for PX625/PX13) but when I put them in the Canon the light meter Battery Test button shows either no charge (stays in the red zone) or alternatively will suddenly jump over to the blue zone (charged) , then start to move back down to hovering between the blue zone and red zone. When it's working the auto exposure seems to lag a bit as I move the camera from bright light to dim light .

This is with brand new Wein Cell batteries. I know they are reputed not to last very long , but they've barely been used at this point . I'm wondering if I got a bad set of Wein Cell batteries or if there's a short in the Canon 814 AZ's meter ? I did clean the battery compartment , although it had no visible corrosion or residue on the terminals . (Cameras have been stored in a cool, dry storage area) For whatever reasons the Wein Cell batteries don't seem to be powering the auto light meter or else are doing so irregularly (sometimes it seems to react normally, other times it's slow/laggy , other times it doesn't work at all until I remove the batteries and then put them back in again , then they'll work ... some of the time.) It's very mysterious.

I'm thinking now about having Willard Engineering adapt the Canon 814 AutoZoom to add the micro miniature, digitally controlled, meter supply that runs off of the camera's main drive motor batteries. http://willardengineering.com/services

Has anyone had this service done by Willard Engineering and do you recommend it ? Another place that advertises this sort of service is here : http://www.film.project-consultant.net/ ... _px14.html Does anyone have experience using this service ? Same as or better than Willard ?

-------

UPDATE : the same Wein Cell batteries seem to work fine in my recently acquired Nizo S-480 , which is a "new" old camera for me . When I put the Wein Cell 1.35v batteries in the Nizo the auto exposure seems to work smoothly . So I think it is a problem in the Canon . I hope that the service from either Willard Engineering or the other place (Adams ?) would fix the auto-exposure problem , but it seems there may be a short in the electrical system , so I wonder if the alteration they perform will work with my Canon ?

Any thoughts from those of you who have experienced this issue with Canon 814 AZ or similar vintage Super 8mm cameras would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dndff

Post by Dndff »

I'm having the same problem. Did you get any replies or find a solution?
Thanks!
Jren

Post by Jren »

I have the exact same problem.
Hope to find a solution soon, if you find one please bring it in.
Thanks in regards.
Jren

Post by Jren »

I have the exact same problem.
Hope to find a solution soon, if you find one please bring it in.
Thanks in regards.