Film stock for Univex model A8

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Wade

Re: Film stock for Univex model A8

Post by Wade »

cameratech wrote:Fantastic little tribute Wade, great piece. I've got one of those cameras, never thought to use it though!
Thanks for sharing.

Dom
I would use the Univex more often because it is so crude. It has some nice jitter--a little too much sometimes, probably because there is no lube in it. There is no governor which causes flicker, and motion anomalies. And its small enough so it doesn't attract immediate attention if I'm out in the public. But I've checked a few of these cameras and they all put the frame line in an unconventional spot which my transfer unit at home can't compensate for. For most projects I can't justify the added telecine cost. :(
Wade
Mmechanic

Post by Mmechanic »

Hey, Wade

Your Univex has a governor like all other spring-driven cameras. Without a governor the mechanism would speed up to over 150 frames a second or more, most probably loosing some teeth in the gear train. What does not form part of the mechanics is a positive stop to a spring barrel like a number of other cameras have. So the spring runs down until there’s only a faint amount of energy stored in the innermost convolutions.

That old camera longs for a service. I do servicing of spring-drive cameras and should love to make you an offer. My experiences stretch as far as to the Zeiss-Ikon Movikon 16, GIC 16/9.5/8, Revere 101/103, Paillard-Bolex models, Bell & Howell Filmo 70 models, Eyemo 71, Filmo 8s, Ciné-Kodak Special, Beaulieu models, Bauer, Bencini, Christen, and more. The old grease and dirt must be removed, everything cleaned, inspected, lubricated, reassembled, and adjusted. Send me a PM in case of interest.

You can slit any kind of Double-Eight raw stock in two (in the dark, of course). You need a LOMO slitter, a pair of cotton gloves, a blanket to work on, a pair of rewinds, spools, and canisters. The nominal 25-foot portions are actually about 32 feet long, the excess length serves as light hood for threading. Therefore the so-called daylight spools with solid flanges. I think it would be great fun to take the Univex along. The last question to answer is who processes 8mm film.
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

I have one of those in my pile. It is in a projector as a kit. Never messed with it. Runs. As for developing, do it yourself with a Lomo spiral tank. Easy.
Wade

Post by Wade »

Mmechanic wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:05 pm That old camera longs for a service.
Yep. That little camera needs some assistance. Lubing it would probably fix the jitter it has. But it's got two other strikes against it. All the lenses are milky. And the camera exposes the frame in a non-standard area--somewhere between regular 8 and super 8. Unfortunately the transfer system I use at home demands industry standards and can't adjust the frame line far enough like many projectors can. I've checked out another one of the Univex cameras. It's got all the same problems--milky lenses, non-standard placement of the frame.

A camera that is similar in size and weight is one of the Bolex Pocket Cams. Parts are available for them, there are a number of folks who still repair them, and you can get a nice Switar, D-mount for them. And, of course, it doesn't deviate from industry standards.

So, at this time I don't think working on it has much value to me. Hopefully, I'll be using a Pocket cam in spring or summer on a project.
Wade
Mmechanic

Post by Mmechanic »

Most everything with the Univex-8 cameras is the other way round than with the others.
  • Main frame or housing is Zamak alloy
  • Film chamber is on the right hand side
  • Film spools not interchangeable, not even with Bell & Howell Filmo Straight Eight
  • Winding key revolves with down-running spring
  • Inverted lens mount, external thread on camera
  • Finder “underslung” with younger models
I do lens service, too. http://forum.mflenses.com/c-mount-wolle ... 75457.html