Is Kodachrome still processed ANYWHERE in the world?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Arislan

Post by Arislan »

Is Kodachrome still processed ANYWHERE in the world? I was thinking of shooting the last cart but I wanted to process it in colour, not as B&W. I hear Dwayne's gave up.
"Here we all are, all our nationalities chatting and joking on a forum- two or three generations ago we were blowing each other up! "
Nicholas Kovats

Post by Nicholas Kovats »

Gave up? Where have you been? It was no longer manufactured nor supported by Kodak. Very complex large expensive industrial process. Dwayne had no choice in the matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nicholas Kovats
Shoot film! facebook.com/UltraPan8WidescreenFilm
Arislan

Re: Is Kodachrome still processed ANYWHERE in the world?

Post by Arislan »

Nicholas Kovats wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:31 am Gave up? Where have you been?
Have been enjoying marital bliss the last ten years, married to a typically hobby-hating wonderful wife. ;-)
"Here we all are, all our nationalities chatting and joking on a forum- two or three generations ago we were blowing each other up! "
Will2

Post by Will2 »

No more chemicals = no more processing.

Dwayne's would have loved to keep processing Kodachrome since they were the only place left in the world but Kodak killed it.
Mmechanic

Post by Mmechanic »

mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

I believe there were several posts to this forum concerning a group in the Czech Republic that had successfully processed Kodachrome several years ago about the time Kodak discontinued processing. Search the forum and see what you can find. Their results looked decent. To my knowledge no one has processed Kodachrome 16mm or Super 8 film. It has been 35mm slide film. The problem now is that the Kodachrome that is out there is ageing or has been thrown out. I would think that in the interest of keeping things simple, the bi-color process might be better than processing as black and white and may even be feasible. Maybe someone can start a crowd movement to get thing going. I have some sound S8 I would like use if I could get processed even if not perfect would be better than the black and white.
Arislan

Post by Arislan »

Thanks, John. What I'm hoping for in the end is that Kodak will bring it back. We'll see. Last year they announced a new camera, still nothing. This year they announced the return of Ektachrome, still nothing. But in the middle of all that there were rumors that they might bring back Kodachrome. Who knows.

Who have you been using for E-6 processing? I still have some Ektachrome left. I used to use Film & Video Services in MN, but I don't know if Gary is still running things.
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

Gary is retired. His daughter was doing transfers only. For processing Ektachrome try either Dwayne's in Parson KS or Spectra Film and Video in North Hollywood