Nikon R10 and Canon 1014 XLS won't wake up from long nap.

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

steve hyde

Nikon R10 and Canon 1014 XLS won't wake up from long nap.

Post by steve hyde »

I got a request for Super 8 for a music video so I'm trying to wake up my super 8 cameras, which haven't been used in a few years. I put new batteries in both the Canon 1014 XL-S and Nikon R10. The servo zoom on the R10 works but the shutter mechanism and film transport is not working. The battery test light turns red. The Canon 1014 doesn't appear to receive power at all.

Has anyone learned any tricks for reviving these old Super 8 work horses? Thanks in advance for your replies.
nikonr10

Re: Nikon R10 and Canon 1014 XLS won't wake up from long nap.

Post by nikonr10 »

steve hyde wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:47 pm I got a request for Super 8 for a music video so I'm trying to wake up my super 8 cameras, which haven't been used in a few years. I put new batteries in both the Canon 1014 XL-S and Nikon R10. The servo zoom on the R10 works but the shutter mechanism and film transport is not working. The battery test light turns red. The Canon 1014 doesn't appear to receive power at all.

Has anyone learned any tricks for reviving these old Super 8 work horses? Thanks in advance for your replies.
Ok so there no Oxidation on the Batteries pack box or contacts,
How was the cameras stored not with batteries ?
Try with cleaning battery box & contacts with some rubbing alcohol & coth, Then with a set of fresh new batteries after evaporation of alcohol .
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

Make sure the 1014 batteries are mounted correctly. Double check. For the Nike too.

Try to "shake rattle and roll" them while pulling the trigger, actually givem a few kicks too without destroying force, upside down - any movement.

You may try to kick´em off by using more powerful external power sources. In worst case you may try to use somewhat higher than standard spec voltage but pull the trigger before attaching this power source.

If you get then running, run them at all angles alternating for quite a while.

For a start.
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

Thanks so much for the suggestions. With your help I got it figured out. Ready to roll for Saturday. Thanks!
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

At 24fps, what is the effective shutter speed for a) Nikon R10
B) Canon 1014 xls

I ask for light metering purposes.
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

From the SoftDisk: The 1014 has the following shutter angles:

150° - standard shutter angle.
220° - optional XL shutter angle. You will find the selector on the camera.

I believe the Nikon use a 160° shutter but not completely sure.

You will have to calculate the exposure time from this.

There is a table for most cameras on this web site somewhere. Will try to find.
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
S8 Booster

Post by S8 Booster »

Some goodies 4U all here:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nyc dito

Post by nyc dito »

steve hyde wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:37 pm At 24fps, what is the effective shutter speed for a) Nikon R10
B) Canon 1014 xls

I ask for light metering purposes.
HI,what was your fix for the R10?