16mm footage of Apollo 11's engines

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Scotness

16mm footage of Apollo 11's engines

Post by Scotness »

This just came up as a random youtube reccomendation to me - and I'm pretty glad it did - it's amazing. Just the feat of filming it, let alone what they're actually filming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKtVpvzUF1Y

Scot
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
slashmaster

Re: 16mm footage of Apollo 11's engines

Post by slashmaster »

I've got that dvd set. I believe it comes from a 3 disc set called "The Mighty Saturns". It also shows footage from inside the tank as the propellant goes down, then suddenly droplets go everywhere as the motors stop and it becomes weightless.
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

Take off weight 2,970,000 kg, Should equal lifting appox 10 747 jumbos straight up.....
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Too bad "The Mighty Saturns" isn't available on Blu-Ray. Would love to see it in HD.

My father was part of a small team at Westinghouse that built the video camera that shot those famous steps of Neil Armstrong. They basically put it in an aluminum meatloaf pan. At the time it was amazing that they could make it so small and light.
Nicholas Kovats

Post by Nicholas Kovats »

I strongly suspect that this was shot with Photo-Sonics 1-PL 2 perf pulldown/ twin pin rego 500fps camera. The reflex version was called the Action Master 500. Here it is in action in 2017. First clip is 500fps load test at 30v approx 15 amps. 2nd clip is actual shooting speed used at 200fps, ie https://vimeo.com/222611616

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nicholas Kovats
Shoot film! facebook.com/UltraPan8WidescreenFilm
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

Nicholas Kovats wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:35 pm I strongly suspect that this was shot with Photo-Sonics 1-PL 2 perf pulldown/ twin pin rego 500fps camera. The reflex version was called the Action Master 500. Here it is in action in 2017. First clip is 500fps load test at 30v approx 15 amps. 2nd clip is actual shooting speed used at 200fps, ie https://vimeo.com/222611616

Looks like it needs more power. It wastes a lot of time and film spinning up to speed. Are they always like that? Maybe the connectors on the plug are dirty?
Nicholas Kovats

No. Your assumptions are incorrect. Think about it. There is no instantaneous 500fps. It has to safely ramp up to speed and was designed in this manner. A custom and heavy battery was temporarily built as per the cam power specs, 30v and 30a peak available if necessary. The cam drew approx 12-15 amps in the 500fps.

Nicholas Kovats
Nicholas Kovats

The connector was custom built by a renowned motion control expert.

Nicholas Kovats
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

Nicholas Kovats wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:25 pm No. Your assumptions are incorrect. Think about it. There is no instantaneous 500fps. It has to safely ramp up to speed and was designed in this manner. A custom and heavy battery was temporarily built as per the cam power specs, 30v and 30a peak available if necessary. The cam drew approx 12-15 amps in the 500fps.

I agree!.. I've got an H-16 which ruined a portion of a roll because it might have ramped up too hard to 64. But I think what you've got in that video can do better than that! I've also got an H-8 which takes too long to get to 64. Was trying to make slow motion of batters swinging a bat and started the camera when the pitcher tossed the ball. Wasn't going 64 yet when the batter would swing...
BAC

Post by BAC »

Thanks for sharing that Scot, I'm sure I have seen it before but it has been a very long time. My father worked on the Saturn V project in the 1960's as an engineer on a Boeing contract with NASA. I visited the facility where he worked several years ago near New Orleans while I was working on the Hurricane Katrina cleanup.