I found my granfather's old Camera.

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Zranfisco

I found my granfather's old Camera.

Post by Zranfisco »

Hi everyone,

First of all, my name is Franzisco, and 'm new in this world.

A few days ago I found my grandfather's old super 8 camera (a Yashica super 825), and I have not idea of how to use it, what cartridge I have to buy and things like that.

So I was looking for information in internet when I reached to your forum, and I think that I could find the help that I need, I want to be a regular super 8 user. For example, I have already found the Wein Cells battery that substitutes old mercury 1.3V batteries.

I think that my most important question is: What cartridges I can use? The camera was with a Kodachrome 40D, but internet says that now is impossible to process it.

Thank you

PD: more information about the camera

YASHICA SUPER-825
-marketed in 1969-70
-silent super 8 cartridge
-lens: Yashinon Zoom f: 1.8 \ F: 12-30 mm
-zooming ratio: 2.5x
-focusing: fixed
-zooming: manual
-filter size: 43 mm
-viewfinder: single-lens reflex with adjustable eyepiece
-viewfinder information: f/stop meter
-exposure: auto exposure control; TTL EE, CdS photocell
-EE lock: yes
-film speed: auto for 25/40 and 100/160 ASA (daylight/tungsten)
-CCA filter: built-in 85A filter; with filter switch; automatic cancelation with dylight cartridge or with -----filter key
-filming speed: 18 fps
-shutter opening angle: <180 degrees
-sound: no
-remote control socket: no
-cable release socket: no
-movie light socket: kodak type
-film counter: 1-15 m
-handle: retractable, chamber for penlight batteries
-battery check button: yes
-film drive motor: DC micromotor
-power source: 4 x AA batteries \ 1 x 1.3V button cell for light meter
-weight: circa 1000 g
-dimensions: 55 x 125 x 195 mm \ 55 x 230 x 195 mm
-tripod socket: 1/4"
-made in Japan by Cosina

Source: http://www.filmkorn.org/super8data/data ... ashica.htm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Re: I found my granfather's old Camera.

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

Hi Franzisco and welcome to the forums!

Since this camera does auto exposure I'm not quite sure which films will work with your camera currently. Perhaps the Kodak Vision3 50D (negative film)? You might want to wait until Kodak re-releases the Kodak Ektachrome 100D film (hopefully this summer). That film should fit most cameras.

Best regards,
Andreas
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
BAC

Re: I found my granfather's old Camera.

Post by BAC »

-film speed: auto for 25/40 and 100/160 ASA (daylight/tungsten)
-CCA filter: built-in 85A filter; with filter switch; automatic cancellation with daylight cartridge or with -----filter key
Like Andreas said, Kodak Vision3 50 would work, it will only over expose by about 1 stop, well within the films latitude. This is because Vision 3 is negative film, it will need to be scanned to view it on a computer. If your grandfather left you his projector as well you will want to use Reversal film. With reversal film you will have less latitude so you would want to get film that the camera can meter properly. When they give the daylight/tungsten numbers for what film speed it works with that's because there is a filter inside the camera that will move in front of the lens if you insert a tungsten balanced film. The way it does this is usually by detecting a notch on the film cartridge. Some cameras will have a switch on the camera to manually move the filter. It sounds like your camera detects this automatically since it has the "automatic cancellation with daylight cartridge". There should be a small button next to the film gate where the cartridge seats against. That button moves the filter. Tungsten balanced film will give you correct colors when you film indoors with tungsten lights, daylight film will give you correct colors when you film outside in daylight.