Process times for various B&W 8mm films ???

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Angus

Process times for various B&W 8mm films ???

Post by Angus »

It has been over a decade since I did any reversal film processing. I have a Lomo tank for 8mm and super 8 film. I am still regularly processing still film in 35mm and 120 formats and always have Ilford ID-11, a stop bath and a fixer in the house - currently Tetenal Superfix but sometimes other brands. I have processed super 8 and std 8 B&W reversal film in the past.

I have a couple of super 8 Tri-X cartridges that I probably shot 10 years ago and would like to process myself.

Also one of the Svema films sold by the Widescreen Centre as "Quarzchrome".

And some fresh Fomapan R in std 8mm that I have not yet shot.

Does anyone know the reversal process regimen for these? Preferably using ID-11 or D76 as a developer but I could get hold of a different developer if necessary.

Also has anyone processed the old Ektachrome G160 as B&W negative? I have one very old cartridge I probably shot in the 80s and don't fancy spending money trying to get this done by a lab in colour.

Thanks!!
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
Krasnogorskistan

Re: Process times for various B&W 8mm films ???

Post by Krasnogorskistan »

Hey Angus,

This video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OvGCaZy_kUY is a pretty good resource for reversal development. There are English language subtitles on it, he mentions Fomopan 100 and plus & triX at the 18mins mark...

K
Angus

Post by Angus »

I should add...I have access to dichromate bleach.

Thanks for the link, will have a look later.

I am guessing that the Tri-X will need a first development in the same ballpark as 135 negative development of similar stock?

I don't know about the Svema material in the "Quarzchrome" cartridge or how to go about processing the old Ektachrome as B&W neg.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

I reversed Fomapan R100, using the reversal kit sold on line, then did it another way with different chemicals, according to their Tech sheet, and made a video. Sorry, no other translation is provided ??
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3GYWdzrA83I
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

Cine-X ORWO54 regular 8mm processes to negative with a Rodinal, One Shot, 1:50, 10 min, 68 degrees, 20 C, stop, fix 10, wash. Easy, cheap, great results.
mosesfilm

Post by mosesfilm »

This is the process for all of the Reversal Svema B/W films w/ processing times. I've used it many times with great results and fairly easy formula. All of the ingredients can be bought through the Photographer's Formulary online. Hope it helps!
http://www.oocities.org/submini2003/pro ... -svema.htm
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

This one works for me / Also can tweak it .

https://www.super8.nl/english/e_index.htm :D
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

I no longer fix 10 minuets. I test a clip to see how long it takes to clear then double it. 68f/20c.
Reversal in RO9 is 1:25 at 18 min
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

studiocarter2 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:44 pm I no longer fix 10 minuets. I test a clip to see how long it takes to clear then double it. 68f/20c.
Reversal in RO9 is 1:25 at 18 min
Why would you want to fix for 10 min thats a long time for a film , or is it a weak soup ?
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

That time came from my days developing prints. The Kodak fixer package lists 5-10 minuets. Now I time how long film takes to clear and double it. I hadn't yet learned that old fixer takes longer to do the job.
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

studiocarter2 wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:29 pm That time came from my days developing prints. The Kodak fixer package lists 5-10 minuets. Now I time how long film takes to clear and double it. I hadn't yet learned that old fixer takes longer to do the job.
Thats still a long even for prints ? even if you were to go the two bath old fixer / then new fixer ?
For film processing I always use fresh fixer unless there a batch of films to process then reuse adding time .

If you made up a weak soup then its going to take longer to fix & also would not last so long . :-?